2013 Confederations Cup - Qualifiers, News and Updates [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 29, 2011.

1. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Uruguay is going to get destroyed.

2. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Seriously?!??!? Now u are gonna make me go digging into the history books. I thought England's poor record was only at the WC!!!

3. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just like every other team Spain faced at the World Cup, right?

4. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    hehe

you got lucky you didn't have to face us in World Cup

unlike the dutch, we are made to order to kick your sorry whiny diving arses

no such luck next time gallego

you'll get your wish

just think... Paraguay with a real ofense

5. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Spain has a poor record vs Germany, and Italy.

Our record vs south america is great. Only Argentina, and Brazil has ever defeated us, vs Brazil it's mostly draws but brazil has 3-4 more victories over us.

Lol@Spain fearing south america

6. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Your team has a sword but no shield, the game wouldn't even be competitive to be honest.

Also you will not have lugano, nor forlan........unless they plan on taking senior citizens.

7. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Spain World Cup record against South America

5 wins( 2 against Chile, 2 against Paraguay, 1 against Bolivia) pretty impressive huh?

5 ties (2 against Uruguay, 1 against Brazil, 1 against Paraguay)

4 losses(3 against Brazil, 1 against Argentina)

Lugano? yeah our biggest problem has always been the lack of central defenders :rolleyes:

Coates, Godin, Caceres, Brito, Victorino, etc etc etc

and he wont be a starter but I bet Forlan will make it(he'll be the elder stateman, cebando mate) and Suarez and Cavani will be at their peek with Abel Hernandez just getting there

on the other hand .... Xavi, Puyol, Casillas, Alonso .... hmmmm

8. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Casillas? LOL

Are you trying to imply Uruguay has more depth than Spain? Puyol is the only player you named that will miss the world cup, he's gone on record stated euro 2012 will be his last tournament.

9. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    no man, i'm pulling for them
    i hope they all make it
    maybe you can even take Marchena
    or Raul
    and bring back Aragones also

:D

10. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't see how anyone can not pull for them, they take this admireable warrior spirit to the field, and play with pride for country. Sometimes it feels that they think they deserve a lot more respect than they get, as if they should be talked about with the same respect that germany, and brazil get.

11. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Spain wins Euro 2012, which runner-up has priority to go to the Confederations Cup?

Holland as World Cup runner up or the Euro 2012 runner up?

12. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It goes by confederation, so euro runner up would go to the confed cup.

13. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Actually Xavi and Lugano will have the same age in 2014....34 years, i believe both will be starters in their teams.

14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, Spain's gonna need a couple more World Cups to get that. Until then, Brazil and Germany (and arguably Italy) will simply remain in a class of their own.

15. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    +10000000. They win a cpl of trophies & all of a sudden they think they should be compared to Brazil lol...Or barca winning a trophy after a million years in exile & think they are in the same league as Madrids, Milans, Uniteds lol...Some of these fanatics make me wanna choke from laughter sometimes!
    There is something called CONSISTENCY! That is what defines greatness! Anyone can be a 1 minute hero.

16. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I completely agree' we'll have to win atleast 1 more world cup, and 2-3 semi final appearances to constantly be top 3-4 favorites of a tournament.

17. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Same league as uniteds? Barca has more trophies than united, only milan, liverpool, and madrid have more CL's than barca.

Consistency? Spain has the world record in undefeated games...at 35.....tied with brazil technically, but brazil lost a pentalty shootout in a copa america final, while Spain was never defeated in a penalty, Spain is the true record holder.

Also 3 CL's in the past 5 years is not consistency? You're just a hater.

18. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Ivory Coast will face Zambia for the ANC Championship Match.

Ivory Coast are the odds on favorite to win and represent in the Confederations Cup.

This tournament is shaping up to be a very good one on paper.

19. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ^^^
    I believe the ACN will be held again next year (was supposed to be in Libya but I'm not sure now) and the 2013 winner will be the team representing Africa in the Confederations Cup.

20. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Oh. My bad. :eek::p

That is different than other CONFEDERATIONS. I dont know why FIFA would allow it.

21. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The CAF normally has biennial tournaments just like CONCACAF, with only one of them "counting" towards the Confederations Cup.

The next ACN will be hosted in South Africa.

22. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If you dont like the confederation cup then you are not a fan of football. I always look forward seeing top teams facing each other no matter the tournament. World cup is every four years we need these type of tournaments in between especially for the host country who doesnt participate in qualifiers and needs the competition.

I agree about new zealand and australia because they are the only two that will automatically qualify facing a bunch of isnlands. But at least for the next world cup they have to go through a playoff with concacaf fourth place team. If concacaf cant beat them then they should be stripped permanently to just three slots in the world cup and that playoff given to another region.

23. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I knew that.
    What I meant to say is I don't know why they allow the first tournament to be the one to represent the CONCACAF and the Second Tournament to represent CAF.

Seems weird to me.

24. gummy-bear83

gummy-bear83 Member

May 24, 2010
    Piombino, Tuscany.
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From 2013 the African Cup of Nations will be held in odd years in order to avoid two major competitions being played in the same year so african NT don't have to play continental finals in January and WC in June.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Because the second Gold Cup is played around the same time as the Confederations Cup. While in CAF the second African Cup of Nations (ACN) is played 6 months prior so the winner has time to organize and prepare for a trip to the Confederations Cup.

Anybody know how the change to the CAF calendar will effect CAF World Cup qualifying for 2018 and beyond? If you recall, ACN qualifying and WC qualifying was normally combined. But with the ACN now taking place a full 18 months before the WC it seems like they would need to separate the qualifying tournaments (meaning some NTs would play a tonne of matches in the 2 years leading-up to the WC finals draw).

Or they could simply narrow the WC qualifying field to 16 teams in time for the ACN, and then eliminate the other 11 during the year prior to the WC (e.g. 2017). But then you'll have the same 16 teams compete in 2 separate tournaments in the same year.

Either way, it'll be a bit of a mess.