2013 Confederations Cup - Qualifiers, News and Updates [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My apologies if there is already a thread on this tournament and I missed it; but since a number of confederation championships have already finished up, we should start keeping track of the qualifiers, their preparations for this tournament, and Brazil's preparations to host this "dry run".

So far, we have:

1) Brazil [Host]
    2) Spain [World Cup]
    3) Japan [AFC]
    4) Mexico [CONCACAF]

The Copa America begins next month; while the African Cup of Nations (the one that "counts"), Euro 2012 and the OFC Nations Cup will all take place next year.

Finally, we already know that Brazil will be in Group A with the winner of the Euro (or the runner-up if Spain defends its title), while Spain will head Group B along with the Copa America winner (or the runner-up if Brazil defends its title).

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Re: 2013 Confederations Cup - Qualifiers, News and Updates

Actually the African Cup of Nations (the one that "counts") is in 2013.

1 person likes this.
  3. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

The best Confed Cup ever!!

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  4. JohnBlah123

JohnBlah123 Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

considering we still have to wait for the euro and copa america winner or runner up yes best confed cup ever :cool:

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

An update from the Copa America - and yes, one immediately relevant to the next Confederations Cup. But since there isn't an [R] in the title, highlight below to reveal:

Brazil got knocked out by Paraguay on penalties in the quarterfinals; so now CONMEBOL's spot in the Confederations Cup will go to whoever wins the Copa America.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

lol true. When one just assumes that the favorites are gonna win the remaining 3 competitions, it always looks like "the best confed cup ever". :p

Of course, if the teams to be added are Venezuela, France and Egypt then "not best confed cup ever"?

7. JohnBlah123

JohnBlah123 Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

well hopefully Uruguay takes the copa america (id hate to see a team win the copa america without actually winnning a game) i dont see France winning the euro but stranger things have happened and as for Egypt well in Africa its always hard to see who the best team is there. Overall imo this still looks like the most competitive Confed Cup ever.

8. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd

EUROPE: I would have to go for Germany vs Spain, so Germany will probably be representing Europe.

AFRICA: Egypt looks 99% sure not to qualify for 2012 African Cup. That means they will take part in the short qualification for 2013. I'm betting against them making it.

I think Ghana and Nigeria look favourite for 2012 and 2013 with South Africa the dark horse. Not sure about Cote d'Ivoire. They always look great, but than hit a snag and topple. Cameroon doesn't seem to have talent to replace the current players, but Eto'o will still be active.

OFC: Would be surprised if its not New Zealand.

9. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

Uruguay is going to be there now!

10. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Spain vs Uruguay is already a lock for the group stage. Good..

1 person likes this.
  11. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Shame that Korea didn't make it. Would have been a perfect opportunity to be familiar with South American atmosphere to prepare for the WC and to play against top teams from each continent.

12. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009

Dude, everytime I read ur posts, I see some new insight!!

I will add something to the Cameroon line: they will miss 2012 ACN (almost certainly), I think that will be the 1st time since, I can't even remember when! Makes me happy: Y? Will force them to finally get to it & start reconstructing....I am hoping they will unveil some new stuff starting 2013 (somehow like they took over Africa by storm & surprise starting 1998) after going unheard of in the mid 90s.
    I am hoping for the same thing too for Nigeria and Egypt.

13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd

I'm thinking Eto'o will still be world class in 2014.

I was hoping to see this Edgar Salli guy at the U20 World Cup. Could he be the future for the Cameroon AM position? There is some talent already like Nkoulou, Enoh, Mandjeck, Tchoyi and Song, but it lacks the creative flair of the 1998-2000 team.

As far as forwards are concerned I'm surprised they haven't tried out Henri Bienvenu or Leonard Kweuke.

The team they called up for September does not look good.

By the way just looked at the tables and Cameroon's chances of making 2012 AFCON are purely mathematical.

14. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009

It will take more than a miracle for them to make 2012...and the players themselves know it (read Assou Ekoto & Makoun's recent interviews to FIFA)...Strange thing is I have never watched Edgar Salli play, but I have heard quite a lot about him. Whether he lives up to expectation is a whole different story. He was voted best player at the last U-20 ACN. Unfortunately Monaco will not let us see him until the start of the French league...(plus if they dont end up converting him to a CD as they've done with Chedjou & countless others lol)
    As for strikers, I don't think any of those u mentioned above will be much of anything. I am personally banking on Choupo-Moting & Aboubakar...Whether or not Eto'o makes it to 2014, seems more like will depend on Cameroonians, more than on Eto'o's will. There is too much of a love-hate relationship with supporters & Samuel right now. I will be surprised if he doesn't resign from international duty soon.

Overall, there is a bright generation of youths coming up...just IF & ONLY IF the federation stabilizes & hires a serious coach...I mean how can Clemente (current coach) justify leaving Matip out coz of his height lol? or Assou Ekoto coz he just doesn't like Assou? I mean that is just pure BS in my opinion...

I still firmly beleive they will bounce back with a vengeance...We should start seeing them perform as a unit with the WCQ & ACN 2013...

15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd

What about Emana? Is he coming back?

What are the best young Cameroon players right now? Nothing really intriguing so far about this U20 team.

16. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009

Emana is not coming back...and am I GLAD!!! He has been around that team for 10 years & NEVER managed to hold down a starting spot...plus he is arrogant. Complete waste if u ask me.

I think the current starting team just needs a little tuning. They are all under 25, I believe (Eto'o & Kameni excluded).
    Nkoulou, M'bia, Assou, Alex Song, Matip, Choupo, Moukandjo, Bong, Aboubakar...Obviously u have heard of Salli, whom I cant honesty say anything about. The team as a whole doesn't necessarily have top notch players, but can boast of quite a few above average players (Mbia, Nkoulou, Assembe, Song, Choupo, Assou) With the right manager & mentality, they can be good.

As for the current U-20; i'd pick out Mbondi, Yaya, Efala, Songo'o & the LB (don't remember his name lol) ...we will find out more(or less lol) as the U-20 unfolds.

U may have noticed that of all those names I typed, NOT A SINGLE ONE is a RB! Some1 rightfully pointed out to me a few days ago that Geremi cursed the RB position for Cameroon, coz since his decline, Camerooon hasn't found a replacement :eek:

17. southamerican1984

southamerican1984 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 10, 2005
    Guys do you really care about confederations cup? come on people!! confederations cup is as meaningless as the world club cup.. Those tournaments should exist.

Confederations cup is played because FIFA wants to test the infrastructure of the country that will be hosting the world cup. In the confederations cup we don't see the best teams in the world. It's a joke to see Mexico or New Zealand in confederations cup , but of course, they only need to beat some islands and then they qualify to confederations cup!! But in south america or europe we don't have islands, so for us is so difficult to qualify to such tournament, which as I said is not an important one.

18. southamerican1984

Feb 10, 2005
    Sorry I meant "those tournaments should NOT exist"

19. southamerican1984

Feb 10, 2005
    Man, getting used to south american atmosphere is easy, what is really difficult is getting used to play against south american sides :( you're so lucky that your country plays Asian qualifiers.

20. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I personally like the format and the idea behind the Confederation Cup. The tournament is short and has some good games. I see no point in scrapping it. Similarly the Club World Cup.

Basically something different, entertaining and definitely not a waste of time.

21. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I did start the thread about the Confederations Cup...so it's safe to assume that I care about it.

As a South American, your football (at club and NT level) is already well-established with history, rivalries, quality and worldwide interest. Ditto Europe. For the rest of us, however, the game is still developing, and the possibility of playing in the Confederations Cup or Club World Cup gives more relevance to our regional tournaments. It might not matter much to you; but these two competitions help interconnect and grow the game globally.

22. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Great post, USAFAN.

23. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    amen!

24. and1football

and1football Member+

Nov 10, 2009
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This version of the Confederations Cup should be quality. It's already looking good so far for the teams that are qualified with three more teams to qualify.

Teams that are qualified so far are:
    Brazil
    Spain
    Japan
    Mexico
    Uruguay
    EUFA Champ: Which can be England, Holland, Germany, Portugal
    CAF: Strong teams like Ivory Coast or Ghana
    OFC: Which most likely will be New Zealand

25. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Speaking as an Englishman, not a chance. Our team has been on a decline since 2006 when we arguably had one of the four best teams at the WC but just didn't perform. Since then we've been getting worse and worse. Not a chance of us winning the Euros, a Semi final would be a nice surprise but given our dire EUROs record* I'm not holding any hope.

* Two semi-finals is our best performance in it's entire history, other than that we've been knocked out in the group stage every time we've qualified aside from 2004 when we reached the QF. Rather shameful for a nation like England.