2013 Caspian Cup in Azerbaijan

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Germerica, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    USAprospects@USAprospects 3h
    US '97s goals from Collin Fernandez and Amirgy Pineda. Could not tell from feed. US will play Uzbekistan. #usynt

USAprospects@USAprospects 3h
    US '97s defeated Bulgaria 2-0 this morning. They will play the winner of Uzbekistan and Uruguay match #usynt

Tom Collingsworth, Hararea and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Dvs916

Dvs916 New Member

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    when do we over achieve on the mens side ? we dont our nations best is on the womens side

3. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Is this a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma intertwined in a conundrum?

4. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    The U.S. women don't exactly play attractive soccer, either. They would be the same place the U.S. men's team is if the European and South American countries valued women's soccer anywhere near what they do for men. For the women, the youth organization and NCAA helps American (and Canadian) women because it gives them structured training and coaching that until recently the rest of the world didn't really have. We'll see whether the U.S. continues to be at the top in the women's game in the years ahead. That status has definitely been eroded during the past 10 years.
    Anyway, the problem with the men's program is no different than what is facing the women's team. The difference is that the women's teams aren't usually exposed because their competition can't yet do so consistently.

As an aside, I took some of the girls I coach to the Portland/Chicago NWSL match yesterday. I'd not watched a NWSL game until yesterday, and found it interesting. The top 4 players on each team were gone for national team duty, and it really exposed Portland, who was missing their two starting forwards. Without them, their attack was uncreative, predictable, and direct, and Chicago was hardly troubled. It also didn't help that their first touch was awful. My guess is that normally Portland plays long balls and crosses to these two great athletes (Alex Morgan and Christine Sinclair), which can certainly be effective. To wit, Portland was leading the league going into the game. Without them, they looked like, well, your typical American male team. Chicago looked better. They attacked Portland's short keeper with set pieces lofted directly at her, which set up their goals. Despite that, there was some nice one touch passing, some creative one-on-one moves, and more build-up rather than hoofing and hoping. It wasn't beautiful soccer, but it wasn't ugly, either.

We got to the game early and watched the two teams warm up. What I saw should have showed me what I was about to see. Portland did simple passing and shooting drills. Chicago worked exclusively on short-side/small-space one and two-touch drills. I don't know what they do during normal practices, but I'd guess Chicago focuses on these drills, whereas Portland doesn't. I'd have liked to see more creativity from Chicago, but they were at least closer to the ideal than was Portland.

5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I normally don't like thread police, but why are we talking about women's adult professional soccer in Chicago (at length) in a thread about USYNT U16 boys tournament in Azerbijan?

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I just read this thread and im so confused as to waht is going on.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This is the YNT board, which means every thread and every post is your chance to make A BIG POINT.

8. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I don't mind people diving into topics but a tretise on women's professional pregame rituals are a bit much.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  9. Dvs916

Dvs916 New Member

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Any news on that bulgaria game pics or video yet??

10. C-Rob

C-Rob Member

May 31, 2000
    My apologies for going overboard trying to explain that US women's soccer has the same issues as US men's soccer, despite the relative positions of the two programs in the world of soccer.

I'll step away.

11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I'd rather have people go overboard every once in a while then never try to post some thoughtful ideas.
    Just didn't see the connection to this thread. No problems.

12. Dvs916

Dvs916 New Member

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    D j villegas and collin fernandez are the guys who scored for usa against bilgaria

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. Dvs916

Dvs916 New Member

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Your not going over board c rob but you tjink the womens side is the same as the mens ?

14. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005

Just to be picky, it's Jim Rooney, who was one of the better dmids in the early days of MLS. I seem to remember that before the league got going, he'd been a plumber or a contruction worker or something along those lines.

Getting back to the tournament itself, it's pretty underwhelming to lose to Azerbaijan, with our only goal coming from a major goalkeeping blunder.

15. SportsFan2011

SportsFan2011 Member

Jan 16, 2012

Azerbaijan is playing in the championship game. That said, it's a game we could have won, but that's football for you.

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They win 5-2 against Uzbekistan. Lennon grabs 4 goals (including 3 in 2 minutes).

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. Dvs916

Dvs916 New Member

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    These guys don't ever givee credit to the guys who give the assit!!!!

18. Dvs916

Dvs916 New Member

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Oh wait with brooks being the acception the so cal guys are only given credit. Your missing half the the team who create great chances for these guys that's top drawer for you

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    They won. Enjoy it. Congratulations to your son and his teammates.

20. Dvs916

Dvs916 New Member

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes they did just team effort should be team credit. Lol I just like to stir the pot lol

21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005

The fact that Azerbaijan reached the final doesn't mean much. After beating the US, their next game was against Georgia in the semis, tying 0-0 and advancing on PKs.

22. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
  23. SportsFan2011

SportsFan2011 Member

Jan 16, 2012
  24. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the highlights I could find:

Kyrgyzstan:
    Uzbekistan:
    Bulgaria:
    Azerbaijan:

(not sure of the order)

mike4066 repped this.
  25. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    bottomline this tournament was weak and I would be shocked if they participate next year.