2013 Camp Strudel surprises ... good and bad

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by sidefootsitter, Jan 7, 2013.

1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Pretty sure I saw this guy in a van ...... down by the river.

Foolishness, DrLudicrous and Winoman repped this.
  2. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lame jokes are getting kinda old.

3. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is that bad?

4. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    People are short sighted, it seems. People think the only thing that you can do to benefit your game is stay on a pitch 24/7. I appreciate JKs approach (not so much the two a days during the "5 game tournament" thing last year) in trying to build holistic players.

blacksun and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People will find some reason to criticize just about anything...

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Proper nutrition? To a pro athlete? I will assure you that if any of these players even played college ball, they are surrounded by how to eat properly. This is nothing that the players are being 'introduced' to.

You want holistic, go to a spa. Tomorrow's down time will be facials and lava rock masssages. Friday is mani/pedi day at training camp.

7. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's unfortunate that the "lame jokes" are actually what is happening during the progress of Camp Cupcake as of yesterday and this morning.

deuteronomy repped this.
  8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Wasnt it Wondo who said JK and his staff were teaching him how to take care of himself, with such nuggets of wisdom as running in the morning before you eat breakfast?

I mean, this is the Jan camp so I wouldn't take anything for granted. Ballet classes, German axe throwing, learn to jellyfy your meat classes. We are ushering in the new age of football, people.

9. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    You guys are funny.

If the nutrition sessions help motivate one guy to change what he's doing for the better then it has been a success.

But still, a lot of professional coaches are posting on BS so let us please open our ears.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  10. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Negative: Gatt does not meet expectations (partially because they will be inflated)

Positive: Besler is found to be able to "play fast" in terms of recognition and reassures us we have some depth in the back

Petty issue BSers will gripe most about: Feilhaber complaining about calls/non-calls

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I am picking Will Bruin to surprise on the up-side.

My choice for down-side is on the defensive end, so I will pick the current left back de jour.

Whoever he might be.

12. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is your analysis on the current full team's left back situation?

13. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides Johnson, we are shit.

14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think FJ has something to say about that. With Chandler on board, it opens up all kinds of posibilities.

P.S. On Chandler, if you think he was still on the fence, do you think JK would have given him 90 minutes at the RB position and not even bother to call DOLO to back him up?

15. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

played college ball....not even close to helping us in educationg any of the team on how to eat right, etc. we were just college kids trying to find cheap food at nearby grocery stores...mostly pb&j sandwiches, no budget for taking care of the student athletes via educating us on how to eat properly...not even close.

Beirut and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not if the value added among the entire team would have been doing something else entirely during this time.

GRUNT repped this.
  17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    When did you play? DI or DIII?

Every quality DI college will have a nutritionist on staff (especially if they have a football team). There athletes are school investments.Even the quality of a DIII staffs have improved dramatically in the past 10-15 years. Schools have access to off the field services such at nutrition, off-field training.

Now then, beer, pizza etc. are a staple of any 18-22 yr old., especially if given down time. But I have talked with athletes in current DI programs. These days it is damn near a full-time job to those that take it seriously.

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if Feilhaber could have a really good camp, that would be fantastic. We need some creative MF help, and help at LM. Don't know if that is LIKELY to happen, but it would certainly be the surprise that could be most impactful, short term, IMHO.

Only thing close would be Gatt blowing up, but I think it is too early for him.

Gonzalez and Besler showing well would also be an impactful surprise.

I think most of the other guys are just depth options at this point. Though one of the forwards making a significant jump would also help a lot (Agudelo).

19. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    'Camp Strudel' :ROFLMAO:

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    where were you in 2012?

21. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Obviously not worried about what all the dorks on big soccer where saying about the January camp. ;)

Martin Fischer repped this.
  22. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth . .

If they don't pay attention to this they will lose in order:
    1. Starting position ( typically to someone who is stepping up in these areas)
    2. Scholarship
    3. Spot on the team

Those who do not take diet and off season training seriously ordinarily fall by the way. On a healthy team the players themselves make sure their teammates take this seriously. They have an investment, also.

23. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um no. Diet will improve what you have, but it wont make the best guy the worst guy. Guys with lots and lots of talent can eat ramen and gummy bears all day and still outplay their teammates.

Plus 20 year old metabolisms are garbage compactors. Things that would make someone in their 30s visiably sick just gets digested and they keep going. Between the fact that they can get away with eating garbage, and their peers actively seek out garbage, it makes nutritional education really hard to get to stick.

Foolishness and West Coast Futbol repped this.
  24. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Was thinking the same thing. I went to college and played hoops vs guys who were ranked #1 in the country (D1) on a daily basis. 3 of which latr became future #1 NBA draft choices. The futbol team was in the finals all of my years there as well. I could run both team's players into the ground. No one EVER mistook me for a world class athlete.

Fit is an admission ticket, talent is a performance worth paying to watch. One does not equal the other.

Foolishness repped this.
  25. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I miss the days I could eat an entire pizza and then immediately go out and do wind springs. Now, when I come within 5 miles of a mcdonalds my pancreas hurts and I'm short of breath.