2013 ACC

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by hadarot, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    luke,

As an FSU fan, we've taken our medicine from you guys on many an occasion. You do play a beautiful game worthy of an NC.
    For whatever reason, UVA in the past, doesn't seem to peak and play their best in the NCAA.
    Do you think this year is different? Why?

I want FSU to win the big one, but if not FSU, then UVA would be fine. I want an ACC team not named UNC to win the big enchilada. :0)

2. Focker

Focker Member

Oct 29, 2010
    It has been awhile since everyone has seen UVA make a college cup, 1991 was a few years ago!

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #153 MRAD12, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    I didn't see the game that way. This game went into 2 OT. ND scored an own goal. They had chances as well.
    Virginia is a good team and at this time deserving of #1. But ND played a good game as well. They weren't out played, twisted, around, outclassed as you say. A little over-dramatization, if you will and disrespecting of the opponent if I may add.

This was a really good game between two very good teams, and the #1 team in the nation won. That's what it was.

4. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    Haven't you noticed how ND stopped constructing their attacks in the second half?
    They were severely outplayed in the middle so just stopped shorter passing - most of their attacks were long balls and hunting for free kicks that gave them some advantage because of height, it was so clear (and clever by the way).
    Virginia's wonderful tiki taka was all I've seen in this match, but stats don't lie as well:

Shots: UVa 21, ND 13
    SOG: UVa 12, ND 8
    Corners: UVa 8, ND 3

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #155 MRAD12, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    Waldrum seemed to change the formation around which allowed ND to come back and tie.
    It's the wording you used. ND was outclassed, Virginia played like there was no opponent in front of them, etc. Notre Dame did score 2 goals and take the game 2 OT, but instead of mentioning the hard work and skill used to create and score those opportunities, you used the rain as an advantage for ND and how if it wasn't for the rain Virginia woul
    Those are words used to demean and ridicule. The words you used to describe this game, I doubt you would describe that about any other team losing to Virginia from the ACC as a respect, no matter what the score was. But ND for you guys is different. You have to get your jabs in.

As I said before there seems to be at least a little love-fest between fans of other ACC schools on these threads, with an apparent respect for one another, but when it comes to ND, uh, uh.

I guess I am going to have to get used to the ND hatred and hostility here, the snipes, demeaning remarks, attempt to ridicule, etc. At least to the point where I'll get tired of it and won't feel like posting here anymore.

6. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    #156 lukephan, Oct 11, 2013
    I'm sorry, didn't want to offend you Sir, I'm european, we tend to exaggerate when talking about football... :)
    I've no connection to any american college, I don't love UVa, I love the way UVa is playing and for sure I don't hate ND, they were brave tonight, accepted the challenge, fought fiercely, but were outplayed imho.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    OK. NP. I'm from Europe myself.
    You didn't offend me. I just like to keep things fair in perspective. However I may be a bit sensitive when it comes to ND because I have experienced the anti-Notre Dame rhetoric by fans of other teams while living in other parts of this country including the south. And it is not fair because ND has done nothing to deserve it. Their fans are no different then any other college fans around the country. It is a good academic school with a good sports tradition that should IMO, be openly and warmly welcomed into an academic and sports traditional conference like the ACC.

Although geographically a little out of the way, in academics and sports it fits well within the ACC and I was hoping traditional ACC fans would realize this and warmly welcome the Irish into the ACC. That was my hope.

I don't mind actual critique of play, coaching, etc. but when I sense an attempt of unwarranted cut down, deaminize, ridicule, then I feel I need to say something.

My apologies.

sitruc repped this.
  8. Archie's Grandpa

Oct 25, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    you're right about ND being a class act and a perfect fit for the acc. as a long time vanderbilt fan, when all of the conference shuffling is finally done, i would love to see us move to the acc as well. a much better fit academically and . . . . with regard to sports . . . well, we're probably always gonna be vandy no matter the conference. :giggle:

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #159 MRAD12, Oct 11, 2013
    Notre Dame lost on a controversial goal in 2-OT. It appeared that the ball was cleared off the line by both the ND goalie and player after a Virginia header. Virginia players began to celebrate and the AR who it looked like was about 6 yards off the end-line called it a goal after hesitating.

No excuses. It happens in soccer where on an occasion you win on a controversial goal and on an occasion you lose on a controversial goal. And the own goal by ND was heartbreaking as well. But that's the way it goes.

It was a very good game between two top teams.

10. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If Notre Dame lost on a controversial goal then that should make up for the goal UNC clearly scored upon them earlier in the year. These things typically have a way of evening out over the course of a season. Was expecting that to be an exciting match and sounds like it did not disappoint. If you want to see the goal go to http://new.livestream.com/ACCDN/events/2356993 at 2:15:45 mark. Better angle at 2:16:36 and 2:18:00 marks in slow motion.

Miami, after a great result against Notre Dame, escaped with a win against Pitt who had some quality late chances in an effort to get their first ACC win. FSU had to go to OT to beat a plucky team. Krikorian mentioned Syracuse was an organized team that was tough to break through. No surprise in the UNC-NC State game.

Should be a fun Sunday. Notre Dame @ tough VA Tech, Duke @ Maryland, Virginia @ Wake Forest, and UNC @ rejuvenated Boston College all have potential to be great matches.

11. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    #161 New Engalnd Nellie, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    Sunday is senior day at Wake Forest. They are hosting Virginia and they have 10 seniors. I expected some lineup changes to account for the oft followed tradition of starting as many seniors as possible so I checked their release. I think that Rachel Nuzzolese has been injured for most of the season so I was not surprised when I did not see her name, but I found it odd that Katie Stengel (a senior) had been replaced by a freshman in the probable starting lineup. Is this bad news (injury?) or good news (WNT callup?) or just a serious typo?

Here is the game release - http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2013-14/release/release_20131011aaa.pdf

12. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    I have been informed by two sources that she has a medical condition requiring her to sit out a couple months. I try not to go into detail on non injury medical issues. Tough break for her especially in her senior year. Sorry I brought it up here but I didn't know.

13. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Hope Katie gets a big hand on Senior Day!

14. raiderD15

raiderD15 Member

Sep 9, 2011
  15. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
  16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I'd check to see if the Boston College v North Carolina game is being streamed. Then I saw it is at BC and was pretty sure it wouldn't be streamed. I was right. The BC administration once again demonstrates it doesn't care much about women's soccer. Sad, for a good program.

17. raiderD15

raiderD15 Member

Sep 9, 2011
    #167 raiderD15, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    In the early games of the day, Virginia Tech beats Notre Dame 1-0 and Syracuse beats Miami 3-0
    Halftime scores:
    UVa 2-0 Wake Forest
    UNC 0-0 Boston College
    Pitt 0-1 FSU
    Duke 1-0 Maryland
    Clemson 0-0 NC State

18. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    They still have hope that she can be back on the field for the NCAA tournament.

19. raiderD15

raiderD15 Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Final scores:
    Notre Dame 0-1 Va Tech
    Miami 0-3 Syracuse
    UVa 2-0 Wake Forest
    UNC 1-0 Boston College
    Pitt 0-4 FSU
    Duke 2-1 Maryland
    Clemson 1-0 NC State

Duke's now one game under .500, while Maryland and BC are both at .500 after today

20. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Wake Forest struggles to score with Katie Stengel. She is their offense and they run everything through her. It's like UNC losing Crystal Dunn. They had 3 shots today without her.

21. thomas57

thomas57 New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    ...and Clemson is one game over .500 in conference 4-3-1, and 7-4-3 overall:thumbsup:

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Clemson will be in the NCAA tournament.

23. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Was that your genuine hope? If so, it wasn't very realistic. Why would anyone 'warmly welcome' anyone else? It's competition. Do you think there's warmth between Duke and Carolina basketball? Clemson and FSU football? People don't care one way or the other about ND as much as you think they do. Everyone wants to beat the newbie, and naturally there are going to be some satisfied smiles when you struggle, which is now beginning to happen.

24. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    MRAD12
    I think that is Enzo's way of saying "Welcome Notre Dame into what others call the grind of the ACC!"

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, I see the Irish are struggling right now. But that's OK folks. Hate away NP.