2013 ACC

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by hadarot, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    No, UP beat Penn State and SCU beat UNC that year in the semis.

You got 1 team in.

2. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    The question was about whether a conference ever had four teams in the college cup. I was referring to unc because if another conference had done it, it would have had to have been in a rare year when unc did not make the college cup.

3. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    #303 lukephan, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  5. raiderD15

raiderD15 Member

Sep 9, 2011
    It worked for me. I used Chrome as a browser, if that helps.

6. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Several posters (including me) and one computer program are predicting an all ACC Final Four in the NCAA this year (see the NCAA contest). That would really be quite something! Whether it occurs or not, I think it is a great tribute to the quality of the ACC this season! Congratulations to all the teams on an excellent season! Four #1 seeds in a National Tourney-- it does not get any better! If all four advance to the Final Four that would be a great thing for the conference! I hope to see all four in Cary! and oh yes, Go Heels!

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Exact odds for # of ACC teams in College Cup
    % chance to get 4 teams in = 8.7%
    % chance to get 3 teams in = 34.1%
    % chance to get 2 teams in = 42.6%
    % chance to get 1 teams in = 13.2%
    % chance to get 0 teams in = 1.4%

8. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    OK, I haven't seen Big East match this year so my wishful reasoning is: Marquette lost in first round AND they beat GU 4:0 in conference AND finished 5 points ahead of them so my dear Virginia looks good vs Georgetown next week, right? ;)

9. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    If Morgan Brian plays, then Virginia should win.

10. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Interesting! So I guess if I am right about the Final Four I deserve to do well in this the contest! 8.7%, eh? That seems surprisingly low for the top four seeds to advance? Not to question the basic soundness of your analysis, but what metric are you using as the basis for these "exact" odds? I ask only because there have been several scenarios posted on the contest thread (thanks cpthomas!), and they all seem reasonably credible. Oh, by the way, I really enjoy your speculations about the NCAA tourney! It adds some real humor to what would otherwise be a somewhat drier thread! Regards!

11. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    #311 lukephan, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    Have you seen her goal tonight?
    It was close to the first time in football history that net in goal would be torn after the header. She is so skilled with her feet and field vision, not to mention her killer instinct, and this?
    [​IMG]

Cmon, mother nature is unfair... :eek:

UVa - Saint Francis highlights: http://www.virginiasportstv.com/womenssoccer/1q9W

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    #312 WPS_Movement, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    My head crunches numbers at the speed of light. And if you think the top four seeds collectively have a significantly high chance to get to the Final 4, than you're being optimistic. The reality is, that UNC only has about a 40% chance to get there (with UCLA and Stanford in their bracket). UNC = 40% chance. UCLA =35%. Stanford = 20%. Other = 5%, to get out of that UNC bracket and go to the College Cup. Let's say with each of the other three brackets, there is a 60% chance in each of those brackets that an ACC comes out and goes to the College Cup.

.40 * .60 * .60 * .60 = 8.64% chance.

North Carolina bracket = 40% chance that UNC comes out of that bracket (they're the only ACC team in it)
    Florida State bracket = 60% chance that an ACC team comes out of that bracket
    Virginia bracket = 60% chance that an ACC team comes out of it
    Virginia Tech bracket = 60% chance that an ACC team comes out of it
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    = 8.64%

40% * 60%* 60% * 60% = 8.64% (when you multiply the probability of four variables happening).

I ended up rounding up 8.64% to 8.7%, even though you should technically round it down, due to the rounding of the other odds of the outcomes below, and ensuring that all five of these potential outcomes (shown below) would all add up and = 100% (when rounding to one digit after the decimal).

Exact odds for # of ACC teams in College Cup
    % chance to get 4 teams in = 8.7%
    % chance to get 3 teams in = 34.1%
    % chance to get 2 teams in = 42.6%
    % chance to get 1 teams in = 13.2%
    % chance to get 0 teams in = 1.4%

13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it depends on the rounding convention. For complex computations involving mega-numbers of sub-computations, where accuracy is critical -- such as when trying to get a spacecraft to the correct location -- the accepted rounding convention is to round the last digit up if it is even and down if it is odd. Or, is it the other way around? Believe it or not, I learned this in the process of figuring out that the NCAA's RPI computations use a different rounding convention than Excel's default convention. I'm waiting for the day that it matters what the RPI rounding convention is for purposes of determining bubble candidates. I haven't seen it happen yet.

14. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Well the ACC and the SEC have made it through unscathed thus far.
    Assuming they both win, Duke and UF should be a good second round match.

BC and Nebraska will be as well.
    IF the ACC prevails in either match, it will likely be due to the how seasoned they
    are with top competition week in and week out.

15. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Not random events

16. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    If unc gets to the quarterfinals and Dunn plays, unc will win. The game in September between unc and ucla was not as close as the 1-0 tally. Shots were 23-8 or something like that and I don't recall ucla seriously threatening to score.

17. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    The ACC had 3 teams in the Final Four in 2011, so 4 teams this year doesn't sound too far fetched.

jimhalpert repped this.
  18. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Cheyna Williams is leaving Vanderbilt. Very athletic forward who scored 16 goals on a poor team and she wants to play in the ACC. Word is she has visited UNC, Florida State, Duke, and Syracuse, and also Penn State as the non-ACC school. She is very athletic and obviously dangerous. Whoever gets her will have a big time scorer the next 2 years.

19. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Interesting. Hope everything works out for her. Look at the way this kid glides with the ball as she makes her way to the net.

Vanderbilt's Cheyna Williams scores an unbelievable goal against

20. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Can't lie, I'd love FSU to get this girl.
    She looks like a combo of Tiffany McCArty and Dagny Brynjarsdottir.
    We can hope!

21. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And the rich get richer. Cheyna Williams going to FSU. More Final Fours to come for Krikorian and company.

22. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    ;)

23. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Dang. Oh, well. Good luck to Ms. Williams. Kid has some nice skill.