2013-2014 UEFA Club Referee Appointments & Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 8, 2013.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #176 MassachusettsRef, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    It really is quite something. I don't think we've never seen something like this before in major competitions. It's not like there haven't been plenty of other viable options, too.

I'll stick with my earlier picks for the return legs and Final, which are Rizzoli @ Chelsea, Proenca @ Bayern and Kuipers on the Final. I just think Proenca had such a good game at the last stage and Kassai had a very difficult one in the EL. On form, if we're going by performance, Proenca deserves it. And it's not like UEFA is shying away from giving referees a QF and SF.

What will blow the lid off this whole thing is if Kuipers is on a second leg semifinal. As it stands, he's the absolute odds-on favorite to get the Final. If he gets removed from the equation (and Bayern goes through, thereby denying Brych), it will be anyone's guess.

2. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Collina observing Webb means that Webb is the likely candidate for the EL Final.

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. Apparently this is not as unprecedented as I thought. In fact, other than the past 3 years, it's quite common and in some years it's the rule.

Prior to this year, incidences of referees having a knockout match at all three stages (R16, QF, SF) before the Final in a single UCL competition:

2012: BRYCH
    2010: BUSACCA, DE BLEECKERE
    2009: STARK, LARSEN, ROSETTI, OVREBO
    2008: FANDEL, ROSETTI
    2007: MEJUTO GONZALEZ, VASSARAS, DE BLEECKERE
    2006: PLAUTZ
    2005: SARS
    2004: FRISK, MEIER, COLLINA, MERK

In 2004, the four semifinal referees were the same referees from leg 2 of the QFs.

So, 2011 and 2013 were the outliers.

4. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Perhaps UEFA are just assigning based on merit and marking scores from previous games?!

5. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Pretty sure he had more controversy the following season: Bayern v Fiorentina in which Bayern scored a very late winner from an offside position. Round of 16. Don't recall if it was first or second leg.

6. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Or it could mean that this is Webb's final UEFA match since he is thinking of retire after WC.

Can anyone think a bigger honour from a RM-Bayern match with PLC as observer?

7. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously it's collusion between the follically challenged. Webb and Collina both are bald, Mazic - not so much. :D

8. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Okay, thanks for pointing that out. I couldn't remember assignments from several years ago, and I don't know whether there were other viable options back then. Anyway, still interesting since it's not normal in recent years, and this year there seems to be so many other viable options.

9. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think you're looking too much into it. Collins was the observer for the Barca vs. Real second leg semifinal that De Bleeckere did and he didn't get anything.

I think Collina just wants to go watch a really good game on some one else's expense.

I've always wondered what these observers tell these top, experienced referees after game other than "you got this right and this wrong."

Can they make them better referees? At this point in his career, Howard Webb is who he is as a referee. His philosophy, fitness, positioning, and management techniques are not gonna change.

10. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Europa League Semifinals

Benfica - Juventus: CAKIR (TUR)
    Sevilla - Valencia: SKOMINA (SVN)

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  11. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Apart from some technical issues, Jonas Eriksson showed once again why he is going to WC and is considered one of the best UEFA officials. Total control, strict warnings, correct cautions and a very good presence everywhere in the field. The only negative I spotted was the whole management of the situation with Lampard's handball. It was a big chaotic.

My mark would be 8.5. The same count for AR's. AR1 had 3 offside calls at the first half and was totally correct. He even intervened at min. 07' in a possible riot between Diego Costa and Terry. AR2 was less challenged with only 1 offside call but with a couple of good play-on.

12. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    It's good that he got this one, since it means he almost certainly won't get the Bayern-Real return leg next week.

It is now impossible to deny that Cakir's assignments have been affected since the Man Utd-Real match last year. If the decision to keep him out for the rest of the knockout stage last year was to avoid attention, the decision to keep him out for all of UCL knockout stage this year would not be for the same reason. Eriksson generated a controversy in Man City-Barcelona that got a coach punished for his comments, and yet UEFA supported him by immediately assigning him to Bayern-Man Utd and Chelsea-Atletico, which are big matches and even involve English teams. Cakir was not afforded the same treatment.

What I found even more interesting is that Cakir seems to be no longer entrusted to "decisive" matches. Take a look at his international assignments after the Man Utd-Real match:

Croatia - Serbia (WC Qualifying)
    Cuba - South Korea (U20 WC group stage, 1st match)
    Mali - Mexico (U20 WC group stage, 3rd match)
    PSV - Milan (UCL Playoffs, 1st leg)
    Schalke - Steaua (UCL group stage, 1st match)
    Sweden - Austria (WC Qualifying)
    Marseille - Napoli (UCL group stage, 3rd match)
    Ukraine - France (WC Playoffs, 1st leg)
    Celtic - Milan (UCL group stage, 5th match)
    Sevilla - Betis (EL R16, 1st leg)
    Benfica - Juventus: (EL semi, 1st leg)

With the exception of Mali - Mexico, none of those matches were the ones that decided the group or the tie! And as for the U20 tournament, it was held in his own country, and his country was knocked out in R16; yet he wasn't handed any knockout match (any such match would be "decisive", since there is no second leg at the U20 WC.) This can hardly be a coincidence.

As one further piece of statistics, just compare him with other WC 2014 referees on the number of UCL knockout matches this year:

BRYCH (GER): 2
    CAKIR (TUR): 0
    ERIKSSON (SWE): 3
    KUIPERS (NED): 1 (almost certainly one more)
    MAZIC (SRB): 1 (possibly one more)
    MOEN (NOR): 1 (possibly one more)
    PROENCA (POR): 2 (possibly one more)
    RIZZOLI (ITA): 1 (almost certainly one more)
    VELASCO CARBALLO (ESP): 2
    WEBB (ENG): 3

Something is not right for him. It's not like his performances since Man Utd-Real were bad, either. My suspicion is that someone in UEFA is not happy with his performance in that match, if not because he didn't apply the laws correctly, then because he failed to produce a spectacle. And such consideration would be justified, in my opinion.

I do hope that next season he'll at least get some knockout UCL matches, though. Possibly some R16 or quarterfinal match, but not the absolute biggest ones. It will also be very interesting to see what kind of assignments he'll get at the World Cup (and especially whether he gets any knockout match at all.)

colman1860 repped this.
  13. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Good thought but:

1) You should exclude U20 from that list since it is a FIFA tournament. And it was Busacca who did the appointments.
    2) 2/3 his CL Group stage matches had problems. Especially the Marseille - Napoli was far below expected level. It could even be 7.4. At the CEL - MIL he missed a SFP against Milan.

chaoslord08 repped this.
  14. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Yes, I had that in mind, which is why I said he seems to be no longer entrusted to "decisive" matches (not necessarily by UEFA). Nevertheless, thank you for pointing that out.

greek ref repped this.
  15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Skomina's assistants let him down again in Seville. Video will come, I'm sure, but just shown on replay on FS1. Ball played in off a free kick, the attacker who heads the ball next looks to have been marginally offside. What wasn't marginal, though, was the NEXT player who puts the ball in the net off the first header. Offside by several yards, but apparently the AR couldn't detect the first touch. Needs help from the AAR or work with Skomina himself. In principle, it's a carbon copy of the missed offside from Paris that likely kept Skomina out of the World Cup. Unfortunate Skomina can't get better ARs, but this might just confirm this team shouldn't be at Brazil, despite how naturally good of a referee Skomina is.

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Video, but on YouTube so will likely be pulled shortly:

Looking at this a few times, the first player is definitely onside (so many players in the mix made it difficult the one time I saw it on tv; but the offside player is even more blatantly offside than I thought)

17. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #192 Bubba Atlanta, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Yikes ... how in the world do you miss that? It doesn't even require the head touch – the scorer was clearly offside even when the free kick was struck (and it should have been even easier to see from the AR's side).

18. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Yes, horrible miss from the AR at this level. I feel bad for Skomina--he deserves better.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #194 MassachusettsRef, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    I might have a pro-Skomina bias, because I liked him from the first time I saw him work. But this has to fall on him, too. If a CR sees a minor touch like this and then a player who appears to be in an obvious offside position, he's got to ask the question of his AR to see if he's missed the touch. It takes less than 2 seconds on the mics to confirm if it's a good goal or not. Given this exact sort of incident already happened once in a major match, you'd think Skomina would have learned an important lesson.

This is going to be a major black mark on his resume. And UEFA doesn't have any political incentive to keep a Slovenian referee at the top. I don't mean to suggest he's going to disappear, but botching goals in a World Cup qualifying playoff and Europa League semi--by making easily avoidable errors--is going to affect his future. He's no longer a lock for a Final one day and it will be interesting to see what his assignments look like in the fall.

balu repped this.
  20. aphelorah

aphelorah Member

Jun 9, 2010
    USA
    It's possible that such a conversation did occur. However, if the AR didn't see the touch and wasn't sure about the attacker's position when the touch happened, the crew cannot call offside. That would be a guess on the part of the crew, and that kind of decision making is highly frowned upon at that level.

21. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    This reminds me that Craig Thomson didn't have any UCL knockout matches this year after his assistants' mistakes in Dortmund-Malaga last year. (He's had knockout matches for the past three years.) Too bad for him.

22. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when do referees make offside decisions? I thought ARs did..so confused now, all is lost! o_O

23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #198 unclesox, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Love the sarcasm. :thumbsup:
    Point being Chelsea-Barcelona was not Overbo's last UCL contest as suggested.

24. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States