2013/2014 Offseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Nov 2, 2013.

1. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
  3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    It's the Gary Smith rumor.

jayd8888 repped this.
  4. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Oh OK, thanks, that's what I thought it might be but my outside hunch of Dave Dir made me want to know.

5. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    Is there any word on release buddle...... guy is awful...

6. ~F8~

~F8~ Member

Sep 5, 2008
    grindin
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I wonder if that "league DP" rule has a clause that could explain Dempsey's transfer to MLS, or in general, bringing American stars back to MLS. Can an American be designated a league DP while he's still in another league? lol

Do yall really want EJ here? He seems like kind of a douche...and I say we should keep our sandwiches close to home;)

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #107 COMtnGuy, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    Pure Speculation on my part based on Bianchi's tweets about negoiations now between Rapids and Rivero:

Rapids have a Annual Amount they are willing to spend on him (combination of Transfer fee and Annual Salary). They may or may not have reduced the transfer fee but now need Rivero's contract hit to fit it. I would say this is good news that we are close enough after transfer fee hit to be doing this. Just down to how much he wants to stay if he will accept possibly a lower salary than he could get elsewhere (outside MLS).

Edit for Clarity:

Lets say we have reduced transfer fee to $900K and want to give Rivero a 3 year deal.

Cap hit before Rivero salary is $300K/ yr for 3 years.

Lets say the Rapids want to keep total cap hit to $450K/ yr, that means salary wise he can't get more than $150K/ yr that combines with transfer fee to $450K/ yr.

You add a year to contract that opens more salary for Rivero same if you can reduce his transfer fee.

22SteveD repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be that they're trying to fit him in under the non-DP cap, plus using any stored allocation money. Essentially KSE is trying to get him without having to pay out of pocket like they would for a DP.

Something I'm all for BTW, as I don't think Rivero has shown enough to be a DP yet.

22SteveD, m vann and COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't remember what the limit is for DP, is it $400K or $450K?

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $370K I think for next season.

22SteveD, m vann and COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, somehow thought it was higher. Sure hope we reduced down the transfer fee or are willing to give him 5 year deal to spread out costs.

12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Concerning retaining Rivero (which I am for, given his play at the end of the 2012 season), I wonder if Rosario Central's promotion will have an impact as perhaps they don't think as highly of him given that they are now in the first division? (They were promoted in May.)

Clearly he isn't worthy of DP money right now, but I feel he is worth working to retain.

BTW, interesting article on the Rosario rivalry: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/16/s...ine-soccer-a-rivalry-cleaves-a-city.html?_r=0

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #113 m vann, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    Rosario have floated between 6th and 9th and have a decent collection of players. With that said, promotion and their current position in the Torneo Inicial (initial season tournament) have less to do with them recalling/retaining Rivero than the players that would be in front of him. They boast two pretty good and experienced players -- Herman Encina and Antonio Media -- in the middle of the park. That's his competition and I don't see Rivero, at this point, overtaking one of them. It's likely that Rosario will sell. He's certainly good enough for them but he's not a player they would probably want to see (and/or want to pay) ride the pine. I assume they would rather him play and develop. If that means elsewhere, that's the way it has to be. I'm with you, I would love to see Rivero back. Injuries just killed him this season and we only got a taste of what he can do in 2o12. He's not a DP, as you said, but there's no reason he can't eventually develop into one. If retained, via loan or buy, I expect Rivero to bounce back and have a big 2014 with a manageable salary,

14. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if its even possible to try and get Rivero back for another year on loan?

Just too long since we have seen him as positive contributor to team to justify a $1M rights transfer for me.

15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor detail on USL Pro set-up replacing reserve league, also states the MLS will announce in next month or 2. According to this Rapids will not be setting up a stand alone side, just LAG and Dallas will do so next year.

http://www.recklesschallenge.net/usl-pro-turning-the-table-in-2014/

A club staffer unintentionally published a picture showing what the 2014 table will look like. It indicated that there will be 15 teams in USL PRO, playing a 28-game regular season schedule. It also listed those teams.

Let’s begin with two MLS reserve sides that will be establishing USL PRO clubs to begin play next season. My source indicates that those two teams will be Los Angeles Galaxy and FC Dallas.

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems plausible and certainly makes sense as far as both leagues are concerned. It's been circulating for months that some MLS sides were interested in having full-fledged USL Pro teams. To be honest, LA and FCD make sense as the first two clubs involved. FCD has signed the most Home Grown Players in league history and their youth academy is arguably top dog in the league. From their vantage point, they need to get these kids / young players some opportunities. LAG, similarly, is in the same boat. They've turned out their fair share of HGP's and integrated McBean, Zardes, and Villarreal into regular 1st team contributors. So there appears to be some sort of emphasis on youth development. Plus, let's not overlook the fact the Gals have the financial clout to fund a USL Pro Side. Considering, OP's ties with the FCD academy I would certainly hope he is pushing, advocating, whatever you wanna call it for the Rapids to explore a USL Pro team or at the very least an affiliation with a club.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I'd still like to know how this is going to work roster-wise. MLS teams don't have a large enough roster to fill out both teams. So how will they treat the players who fill out the USL Pro rosters? Will they create more "Off-Budget" MLS roster spots? If not, will the MLS parent team have any special rights to the non-MLS players on the USL Pro roster? Presumably you would have to pay a transfer fee to acquire these players. In which case, wouldn't the Galaxy and FC Dallas basically be paying themselves to move a player from the USL roster to their MLS roster?

18. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I missing something or did I simply not understand the MLS/USL Pro understanding. I believe that it has been mandated that all MLS clubs must enter a stand alone team in USL Pro or have affiliation with one by the 2015 season.

IMO, having ones own team is the way to go, thereby, maintaining full control over every aspect of the training, discipline & progression. Moreover, I would locate that team close to home for ease of management and ease of shuttling players as needed or desired. For me, Colorado Springs is far enough away, close enough at hand and large enough to take on the mantel of the Rapids.

19. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I figure they'd have to have non-MLS players on the roster to fill it out. I'd also guess that the MLS players would be on loan to the USL side to help manage the books. Then they'd buy the player from themselves to expense it against the organization most likely to making a dime.

20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    You can see how the devil would be in the details, though. Otherwise, the Galaxy USL Pro team could pay million dollar transfer fees to bring in players, then sell them to the Galaxy MLS club for some nominal transfer fee.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expanded roster spots would have to be necessary but by how much is the million dollar question. MLS has formed some sort of alliance with the German Bundesliga where the leagues share information on an array of ideas from TV to marketing to finances. MLS could brainstorm with the Bundesliga on this, too. I would like to see MLS field sides in the lower leagues similar to how the Bundesliga have reserves / youth sides compete in the 3rd Liga and Regionalliga(s). I could see something like this: essentially two clubs under the same umbrella Rapids and Rapids II. A set number of players are on 1st team MLS contracts meaning they are registered MLS players only and not permitted, unless it's a "rehab assignment", to play with the Rapids II. Permission by USL and MLS would have to be granted for "rehab assignments". In addition there are a set numbers of players, let's say 5-7, that can be registered with both clubs and free to move about MLS/USL depending on the club's and player's need. Similar to MLS only contracts, there would be Rapids II players that are only registered as USL players and on USL contracts. These players can be promoted to the first team but only if a MLS roster spot is available and they've served an "apprenticeship" of sorts for a set amount of time. I think that would cut down on MLS clubs "hiding" players and/or new signings on the second teams to avoid salary cap issues. There would be a shit ton of work to iron out all the details. I've just kind of thrown something out there as food for thought. It's very basic and generic.

22. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #122 COMtnGuy, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    I kind of thought it made sense to pair MLS teams up for a Co-USL Pro side but see where inheriant interests would scuttle this idea.

I think some of the above comments are too complicated, I think MLS teams loan X numbers of players with no restrictions on who can get loaned and the USL team organization would have to provide the rest. I would guess MLS would restrict MLS teams who own their USL sides to prevent this rights fee games. Maybe even age restriction to, no players over 23 or 25.

I really like the team U-23 concept you see in lots of the world.

Lets not forget LAG owners also own Swedish club Hammerby and that is where Baggio Husidic signed with after we got his rights. We than traded his rights with Pablo to LAG who than sign him to MLS contract this offseason.

23. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
  24. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would think that Arsenal would have at least one player they could send here on loan.

I wonder if there are unknown rules of MLS that prevent Arsenal and Rapids from this type of thing. Guess we will find out with NYFC next year.

25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, this is basically it per Ives article on Alonso DP contract in Seattle.

...The decision to make Alonso a Designated Player means that 32-year-old midfielder Mauro Rosales would have to sign a contract with a base salary of less than $368,750...
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/11/sounders-designated-contract-1.html