2013/2014 Offseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Nov 2, 2013.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done.

Totoro and Quinn 33 repped this.
  2. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JasonMa repped this.
  3. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I posted this in the Oscar thread, there's a 3-part Q&A with Pareja up on the Rapids' site. This segment is most germane to this thread:

Part III: Individual players evaluations and the offseason
    http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/...d-q-part-iii-player-evaluations-and-offseason

There's some slightly more specific stuff in there. E.g., hints about Rivero coming back at the right price, and some indication he hasn't given up on Cascio and sees good things in Serna (though, no position mentioned).

COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. aurelius

aurelius Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The q & a is very insightful, I think: as specific, direct, and open as this kind of thing could ever be. Just one more "well done" to the coach. I was glad to see him mention the need for a couple of defenders. The talk elsewhere of the first priority being a two-way midfielder seemed strange given the glaring need at RB and the need to clarify and solidify the CB position.

I was also interested to read his comments on how the decisions are made by him and Bravo as a team. I have no insight into the specific decision making process, but some of the allotting of credit and blame on here has struck me as somewhat unfair: Pareja gets credit for the signings that work and Bravo takes the fall for those that don't. OP's comments suggest that it may be time to get over that and see the decisions as being shared...as being made by "Braveja"

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From @GreatGonzo's work in N&A

Rapids record against playoff teams: 1.53 pts/game
    Rapids record against non-playoff teams: 1.47 pts/game
    Rapids overall record: 1.5 pts/ game

We're nothing if not consistent, we really didn't care how good or bad the team we were playing was, we were getting 3 points every two games...

BYLRPhil repped this.
  8. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    It's a helluva post and deserves a link--read it and rep him:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...fishy-figures-r.1992856/page-38#post-29022706

I'm not sure how I feel about that. 5th overall against playoff teams is pretty good. OTOH if they'd beat up more on the non-playoff teams, they'd have earned a home playoff game, which would have helped. (And would have been a lot of fun!)

9. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped it, but I'm not sure it says all that much.

It goes back to something I've posted elsewhere. The Rapids were incredibly lucky in regards to hitting LA while their stars were absent, and didn't see a lot of RSL with Javier Morales. Good for them for winning those games, it's not like they had a say in the matter, but that does represent a fair bit of fortune.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course we were incredibly unlucky with injuries at times, so that stuff tends to balance out.

11. BigBrasky

BigBrasky Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So, according to this, it would appear we received a little help getting Torres signed, as well as Portland with Valeri and Toronto with Urruti (who is now with Portland). Relevant passage:

Gotta love that MLS transparency.

Soaker888, JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep and Toronto coach got slammed for calling Urruti a "league DP" but sure looks thats an accurate term.

13. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    m vann, Rod1916 and jayd8888 repped this.
  14. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else notice there has been ZERO mention of a jersey sponsor? Good thing, time to put up or shut up and stop talking about it unless it happens.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 months takes him out to past what will probably be opening day of 2014. I assume we'll keep him on the roster on IR, but I doubt he'll have much of a future with the team after he's healthy.

16. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/11/orlando-major-announcement.html

Well there are can do front office personnel & cannot do ones. Orlando, not yet confirmed as an MLS team, already announced a shirt sponsor, "Orlando Health"! Perhaps Hinchey can profit from a Florida vacation including a meeting with some can do soccer folks!!!

17. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Help!

I understand the Rapids responsibility in repairing and rehabbing Griffith's shoulder but is there something in the contract or union agreement keeping him on the roster?

18. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Say it ain't so.....Bianchi tweeted Rapids had interest in EJ back in 2012 so it might still be there. Sure he can produce, but, he is a cancer in the locker room and not worth the hassle imho.

BYLRPhil repped this.
  19. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ seems to want DP-level (or just below) money, and I don't see the Rapids springing for it.

However, one must admit that an attacking tandem of Brown, EJ, and Torres is mighty scary on paper.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an unwritten (it might be written now) rule in MLS that you don't cut injured players. Putting him on the IR means he doesn't count against the roster cap, and he's young enough and cheap enough that he qualifies as developmental player so he doesn't count against the salary cap. Given that there's no cost to the Rapids to keeping him on the roster.

21. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Trade EJ for Buddle. Done. [/typical Bigsoccer out-of-touch trade proposal]

I'm not sure what we could trade Seattle that they'd want/we'd want to part with. Wynne + next year's #1 pick was really the only one that came to mind, but Seattle already has Yedlin at right back, and I'd be surprised if Sigi tried him at center back (but I've been surprised before). And I kinda don't want to see us get rid of Marvell, he's not a problem for us.

Otherwise...everyone we could trade either feels like one of our building blocks, or feels like someone Seattle would scoff at.

GreatGonzo repped this.
  22. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shack … he seemed butt hurt when Dempsey showed up with DP money. I'm sure Seattle would let him go for a song but not sure 1) the Rapids have the money he'd want 2) he's got the right attitude

23. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    That's not nearly out-of-touch enough.

EJ and Yedlin for Buddle and a sandwich to be named later, with the promise that Buddle will not eat the sandwich. Hmmm... might need to make it two sandwiches just to be safe.

Hunt998, ~F8~, RapidStorm and 1 other person repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't just interest. Colorado did all the ground work to get EJ back in the league and negotiated the contract they were willing to accept. Then at the last moment Seattle made a better offer to Toronto for the #1 allocation pick and took EJ.

COMtnGuy and 22SteveD repped this.
  25. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ah thanks Jason. Looks like he wants big money so that makes me a little less uneasy about us going after him.