2013/2014 Offseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Nov 2, 2013.

1. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Dillon is about the same size as Philipp Lahm :)

2. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly before I saw all this I was going to make a players to loan to USL and he was going to head the list. Nothing beats actual game experience/ speed.

3. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only similarity between Serna & Lahm may be size! Why do so many fans always seek out an anecdote. There is always one available but it proves absolutely nothing!

4. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I have only seen Serna play a few times and have no understanding as to why he has ever been placed at FB. He is much more attack minded and does not have the physical attributes to be a defender in my opinion. He has a good first touch, good crossing ability and vision for making good passes. I actually think we would have had a better attack in our knock-out game with him in place of Harris. Give Harris the ball with numbers up on an opposing defense and he will surely make the wrong pass or dribble into the nearest defender.

I also agree with the few people who have stated that Rivero would look much better if he was able to find more time on the field with quality guys in front of him. 2013 was a bad year for him with the injuries, but, I saw a few moments of his old self in the last few games he played. Actually, his shots were better so not all flashes of his old self.

5. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    lol

Anyway, it's a simple come back to the equally simple he's too small canard. Which, by the way, also proves absolutely nothing. Size is but one attribute a player can use to be a valuable asset to a team. You are welcome to summarily dismiss a player because you can look him in the eye, I'd prefer a more robust set of criteria.

6. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    You may have seen him more times then I have. But I suspect the coaches on the national teams that placed him at FB may have a bit more direct exposure ;).

Listen, I'm not trying to make a case for him at FB. But neither am I dismissing him. Let him compete for the job.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though to be fair size is a concern for a player who will need to be able to hold the ball in dangerous (to the defense) situations. Just because he's small doesn't mean he can't do it, but it does put more emphasis on the other skills he'll need to compensate for that lack of size.

DavidJames repped this.
  8. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Of course, a players value is the combination of attributes which in total make a complete player.

9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Not to mention that I'm sure Lahm didn't fall off the turnip truck ready to take on larger players.

It's possible Serna already knows how, but then I'd wonder why he didn't even make the 18 until the end of the season.

10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since RB has been a topic of conversation lately and throughout the course of the season, a name popped into my head that could be available: FCD's Zach Loyd. His season was riddled with nagging injuries and that allowed for the emergence of US U-20 player Kellyn Acosta. This could mean he is expendable. Loyd will be out of contract and it's uncertain if FCD will pick up his option. I'm not sure where the Rapids fall on the re-entry draft order but Loyd might be a player to pursue. Chances are likely Loyd would go pretty high in the re-entry draft. However, if there's a snow ball's chance in hell he'd fall to the Rapids, I think Loyd would be a nice addition. To top it all off, he does have a connection with OP.

11. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serna was a late pick to the team as a midfielder due to injury. Indeed, due to injury the best USA U-20 defenders were never a part of the U-20 side at 2013 FIFA World Cup. Caleb Stanko, a D-mid & Javan Torre a LFB featured at CB due to injury. Kellyn Acosta, who is carving out a career @ RFB with Dallas FC never played there during the Cup. Also, some of Ramos choices were definitely questioned thruout the soccer community. Ramos choices were far from magical. Indeed, he bombed his career in Spain due to bad choices & lack of discipline. I'll concede that he is a different man today but he is no coaching magician!

12. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any rumors on what (if any) USL team that the Rapids would partner with?

13. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Sadly, I do not have much respect for the coaches of our US youth national teams. I'm not going to go into detail about it, but, I think we could be much farther a long if soccer brains, skill, were more sought after than athleticism.

For me putting Serna at RB is just like putting putting Mullan there it is a waste of time.

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The most logical geographical choice would be Phoenix FC. However, the last few days for the club have been a rollercoaster. There were some rules breached and USL / USSf did not renew their license to continue operation. It's been rumored the ownership group defaulted on its deposit and franchise fee. Almost as fast as that news broke, news emerged that a new ownership group was to be announced and Phoenix would have their license with USL renewed. Once all that crap gets sorted out then maybe the Rapids would explore a partnership of sorts.

15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Arizona falls under FSL "boundary" for homegrown prospects, I would think they have right of first refusal for an USL side there.

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. However, the rule of keeping your enemies closer may come into effect and supersede everything. ;) :D

BTW, Davy Armstrong did spend some time there on loan this season so their might be, at the very least, some familiarity and/or loose association in place.

17. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed for accuracy.

Most youth soccer clubs are pay-to-play, driven pretty much solely for profit rather than developing talent. They, along with the NCAA, have created a system that tries to maximize the number of games played to create a "conveyor-belt" system for college scholarships.

Youth soccer in the US is, at its worst, just a time sink for upper/middle-class suburban kids that has a vague promise of a cheap college education.

Thats why youth academies like the one the Rapids have created are so valuable to the development of the sport in this country. Their motive is to turn kids into better players and to potentially make them into professionals, rather then simply wringing money out of their parents so that their kid can ultimately end up with an ethnic studies or communications degree at a discount.

JasonMa and m vann repped this.
  18. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone knows contract length of specific players, feel free to add them. That would probably be useful information to have because it probably gives us a better idea of what the roster will look like next year.

Being able to identify who holds a green card and who takes up an international slot would be useful as well.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I took a look and I just trimmed / freed up $1,276,840.36 worth of guaranteed salaries with the release / trade / retirement of Ceus, Buddle, HIll, Cascio, Harris, Smith, Kindle, Griffiths, Mullan, Castrillon, Pickens and Wallace. Now, I'd reinvest that money right back into the club with some acquisitions and/or fresh contracts for some deserving players. Seriously though, thanks for the in-depth list. I suspect there will be quite a bit of turnover in the roster. It, in all likelihood, will free up quite a bit of cap space.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have all this info, how do you want me to mark them?

23. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably under the Roster Status column. I can tweak it if necessary.

24. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the topic of contract length...thats probably going to be the most difficult to fill in. Occasionally when the club signs or re-signs a player, it will mention in the press release how many years they have signed on for. That probably about the best we can do at this point beyond insider info.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I didn't notice anything this time with Sturgis. But would be great if someone knows it.