2013-2014 Off-season rumors, news, opinions and hijinks

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JoeSoccerFan, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    Probably because it's basically a summary of everything in this thread or other threads from this website and other others with no real news or information. I like Goff but this piece and his most recent Kasper interview provided no information at all (to anyone that doesn't pay a modicum of attention the team; and those are the only people left reading about the team at this point).

2. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    benni..., kirchhausen and nobletea repped this.
  3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Why, Yes. Wallace has had a respectable year, 6 goals and 6 assists, although he has played more as a wide midfielder this year. I thought he was coming along nicely at United until that terrible broken leg. I, for one was disappointed to see him go.

asitis

tallguy and uniteo repped this.
  5. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to think about it because he has value. I posted on this Kithen issue not long ago. But my take is that the writing is on the wall and the intends to keep him. If thats true the only other facor is whether he is a DM forever, or if he may become a true CM. I think they think he will be a CM... I dont know if they are right or if we have the time to figure it out because as you say it informs to some degree our formation and the other players we need to get.

6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd say Wallace probably is at or near the peak of his career and he's still not in the top 1/2 of the league for left middies. Wallace is probably better suited at left back but that's hardly a position you build your team around. There are only a few MLS DMs that I'd trade straight up for Kitchen, only partly because he's only been able to buy alcohol for a few months now. Nobody on DC had a good season, and Kitchen's no different, but he's not in the top 11 problems this team needs to fix.

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Everyone is tradeable in theory depending on what you get in return. For example I'd trade Kitchen for Yedlin in a heart beat.

But realistically I think he's worth more to us as a player than as trade bait. While Kitchen needs to improve his technique he does have several other good qualities. He's flexible, reliable, not injury prone, honest, hard working, focused and has a good character. He's the type of player that could be a team captain in a few years.

Personally my plan for Kitchen if I was a coach would be to convert him into a center back. I'd have him hit the gym for the entire offseason and work with him specifically on set piece marking and aerial defense in general. I think that's a skill set that he can learn if it's focused on. He's already a pretty good defender on the ground.

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate seeing Kitchen at center back. Everyone else is better than him at it, and he's much better at something else. For the life of me, I can't see how he keeps getting put there. Thankfully it is not very often.
    I thought it was stupid for the U-20s to put him there, and I think it has been stupid (and not very effective) whenever United has put him there.

If you have to stick him on the back line (and you do not) I could live with right back.

I think he'll be most effective in the middle, he just needs to learn to work differently depending on who's there with him. If he's traded, it better be for more than one player, or the best player on someone's team. In other words, I would not trade him ;)
    I'd love to get a proven destroyer-type DM as a rent-a-DP for a year just to train him properly. Sure couldn't hurt our CCL chances either :D

Oveki8, benni..., Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  9. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still maintain we need at least one midfield player with both the vision to spot good runs (we've had most of our new acquisitions during the season making such), and the technical ability to consistently get the ball to them. We're sorely lacking in both through our midfield. DeLeon is getting better at both, certainly, but otherwise how many wasted crosses have we seen go behind the players, over the players, too far in front of the players, or visiting the VW garage?

Also, they could take corner kicks for us, because since Bosko's departure, have we actually been consistently threatening on them anywhere?

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  10. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Basically what you are saying is that he would benefit from some good coaching. I think we can all agree on that. Same goes for a number of other players.

NASI GORENG and Winoman repped this.
  11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good coaching is nice - but even better is OJT training from someone who has actually played your position at a high level lately.
    As with every other profession OJT is always better than academic training (which is what I think of coaching as, even though it is more lax than that and may involve actual experience as well)

12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeLeon and Pontius are playing out wide when their game improves when they are in the center of the pitch. DeLeon cheats in all the time, and he's not bad at all in the middle. Why not try him inside with Neal/Jeffrey just to see what happens?

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pretty sure that was done at least once this year.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    There's an article at Grantland about Mike Petke. This will be of interest to people here. It's about the last year's Conference Finals.

Q*bert Jones III and nobletea repped this.
  15. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Part one of that article is pure rubbish; not one mention of his sweater vests. smh

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So do most DC fans want DeRo to stay?

17. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    At a greatly reduced super-sub salary, yes. He probably won't play for $150K though.

Barbieri and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  18. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    cant speak for anyone else

the cold GM side of my brain says "get out"

realizing he has a family and is an experienced MLS player i'd offer him an assistant coaching job

he'd have most guys respect and i think he'd be willing to disagree with Olsen when need be

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  19. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    All of those goals were scored from outside the 18 and most from 30+ except for one low cross that Doyle redirected into the net. I voted for that one since it is still a mystery concept to our team

20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    He seems like a cool guy, but he wasn't very productive this year. We would all like the 2011 DeRo to stay.

21. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't. I can't see DeRo being a positive part of the team if he's no longer the "star." Even a significantly reduced salary spent on DeRo could be better spent on a younger player/

Alejandro 10 and NASI GORENG repped this.
  22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    If we create a tactical system where Silva is a starter in 2014 I think De Ro would be a solid backup for Silva at around $125-$150,000

23. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NASI GORENG repped this.
  24. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Who was the coach of the U-20s, there is your answer...

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  25. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me. I think his ideal role (and salary) would be too small for his ego to deal with

Alejandro 10, Winoman and benni... repped this.