2013-2014 Off-season rumors, news, opinions and hijinks

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JoeSoccerFan, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Thanks, Sugar Bear. I know that I'm not qualified to be the GM.

2. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Ouch... There is a player who would be a good fit for DCU - Leon Britton - though he's 5' 6" (and 10 stone - whatever the hell that is!).

fatbastard repped this.
  3. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Some other thoughts, DCU should be 1st for returning American player list, right?

Who would you want? This is my order:

• If Michael Bradley (Roma, Italy) ever left Roma - he'd be my #1 (and only 1). I doubt that he would ever come back to MLS (or at least not right now).
    • Jozy Altidore (Sunderland, England) - don't expect him to leave Sunderland, but if he came available. He'd solve the striker problem (if given service).
    • Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg, Norway) - again, don't him to leave Norway for MLS - but he could drive our attack
    • Bobby Wood (1860 Munich 2nd, Germany) - a young forward that really impressed me at the U20 camp a few years ago. He can move well and shoots with power and accuracy. I like him very much.

The rest in order:
    • Maurice Edu (Stoke, England) - a position that we have tons of coverage; move him to CB, because DCU needs more speed and class in the back.
    • Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht, Belgium) - Established AM who showed that he was a force in MLS.
    • Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes, France) - a better version of Eric Avila, playing RB for Nantes. hmmmm.
    • Sebastian Lletget (West Ham, Endland) - heady midfielder who can stroke the ball around
    • Josh Gatt (Molde, Norway) - wide midfielder, I've seen tape of him and he has exceptional speed. I'd like to see him
    • zipping around the opponent's LB, rather than seeing our LB beaten like a small child.
    • Freddy Adu (Bahia, Brazil 2) - just checking to see if anyone is still reading
    • Benji Joya (Santos Laguna, Mexico) - creative mf who can score; very talented, so him as a U20
    • Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim, Germany) - small, powerful wide midfielder with quick first step.
    • Justin Moose (SJK, Finland 2) - when things are not bad enough, recycle another bad player
    • Billy Schuler (Hammerby, Sweden) - slick forward who can create his own shot and has VG technical skill - a little small, hasn't been prolific in Sweden
    • Jonathan Spector (Birmingham, England 2) - big defender with good feet for his size

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Kitten killer

MattR, Alejandro 10 and JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Jonathan Spector just dropped off the radar a couple of years ago. I guess Klinsi wasn't impressed, but for a time he was a regular on the USMNT.

6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Mexico has overtaken the US as the most obese nation on the planet per capita.

Can't say that I blame them. If I was surrounded by real authentic Mexican food every day I wouldn't stop eating either

ElApacheTevez, Funkfoot and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  7. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Joe, I thought you went crazy to suggest trading down, but then I saw Shawn's post. According to wiki, NE acquired KC's first rounder, Philly acquired ChivasUSA's and Vancouver acquired TFC's. Based on today's point total in the MLS standings, the first round draft order would look somewhat like this:
    1. DCU 15
    2. ChivasUSA Philly 26
    2. TFC Van 26
    4. FC Dallas 41
    4. Colorado 41
    6. Van 42
    6. NE Rev 42
    8. Chicago 43
    9. San Jose 44
    10. Philly 45
    11. Montreal 46
    12. Houston 47
    13. Colorado 48
    13. LA Galaxy 48
    15. Portland 50
    16. Seattle 51
    16. Kansas City NE Rev 51
    18. RSL 52
    19. Pink Cows 53

Trading down for Philly or Vancouver's two picks might be plausible depending on how strong the draft class is. Add ACC player of the Week Jalen Robinson to a Home Grown contract and that's a stellar draft per se. I'm nervous about trading down this year since we drafted Kemp as a left back at the number 7 spot last February and he didn't grace the field much this season despite our historically porous defense. We gotta take what the draft gives us. If we get Jalen and one starter from the first over all pick, then great. If the staff believes we can get Jalen and trade down and pick up two starters, even better.

8. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Correction: Drafted Kemp at 17 not 7

9. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    http://uwire.com/2013/10/02/robinson-named-acc-mens-soccer-player-of-the-week/
    Wake Forest’s Jalen Robinson has been named the ACC Men’s Soccer Player of the week on Tuesday, Oct. 1. The Catonsville, MD, native scored the Deacs’ only goal in the 1-1 tie against UNC on Saturday, Sept. 28, when he headed in a corner from sophomore midfielder Michael Gamble with 57 seconds left of regulation time. This was Robinson’s first goal of 2013, and his third career goal at Wake Forest. “It was awesome for sure,” Robinson said. “I never would have expected that for myself, just coming back from injury. It’s truly a blessing.”

This is the sophomore defender’s first time receiving this honor, and Robinson is the first Demon Deacon to be named ACC Player of the Week this season.

He scored off a header on a corner kick, that might disqualify him from DCU's player search :laugh:

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We could also trade with Philly for a 1st and a 2nd rounder. They picked up Chicago's 2nd in a trade, so they have multimple 1s and 2s.

11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Those who are jumping fences are the ones whose mothers are bad cooks. :p

Boloni86 repped this.
  12. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay so we can more or less all agree that Kitchen in penciled in at the DM half of the CM position? And that, given his lack of killer instinct around the goal, we really require someone with a little bit more punch on the offensive end, and upgrade over Saragosa, Thorrington, Neal, Shanosky, and...Jeffrey? Or is Jeffrey going to be that guy? I say no way, he's needs to be the backup/rotation player at CM. So that's shopping list item 1. New CM with some AM qualities and instincts but that has no fear of getting stuck in.

Since we are planning to play without an out and out AM, in either a 442/451 type of system, that means we need to have at least one out and out striker/finisher. Item #2 on the list. Currently we have nobody to do this job reliably. I'd say Doyle seems like a reasonable backup so far, and Seaton/Townsend/Draft pick might be able to fill out the depth.

A lot of our creation of offense and a good bit of our scoring it looks like we expect to come from the other midfield positions, wide, withdrawn forward, etc. Among those ranks are Pontius, DeLeon, Silva-- which might work as the starters if the above 2 positions are adequately filled. If not, I think we need a 4th person of equal caliber as depth, and we absolutely need to do better than Neal/Porter/Kemp et al as depth in these positions. Those would be item 3 on the shopping list, 2-3 rotational depth players int he midfield/forward spots.

And last, item 4, would be at least once CB. I say at least one, cause with or without Jakovic, nobody on this roster has really nailed that spot. Woolard, White, and Shanosky have looked no better than depth, and we need to have a strong starter, either as a Jakovic relacement, or better I think, next to him.

So, just throwing some names out there so you get an idea ONLY of the type of player I think works best:
    Item 1, Michael Bradley
    Item 2, Luciano Emilio/Ibrahamovic
    Item 3, First round picks, accomplished league veteran via trade, Josh Gros, Brian Mullin
    Item 4, Maurice Edu/Ryan Nelsen

Interestingly, if we check, I'm pretty sure these are the same slots I thought needed to be filled last off season, so... yeah, there you go.

Players who wouldn't be good for these needs:
    Item 1, Silva, Etcheverry, Valderama, Brian Carroll
    Item 2, Rammel, Pajoy, Pajoy, Pajoy, Filomeno, Salihi
    Item 3, Everyone we have who didn't start more than 25 games
    Item 4, Random Scandinavian league player who doesn't start for a top 30 nat'l team

Boloni86 repped this.
  13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This has to be a priority.

He played CB for them last year but he's undersized there and he's playing RB, for the most part, this season. I don't know that he'll make a DeAndre Yedlin-like impact but he should be able to step in and be a regular contributor.

I think upgrading the wingbacks has to be a priority for United this season. I like Korb but he should be a sub, not a starter. Same with Riley.

Two FBs in MLS who have become afterthoughts at their current teams who could be upgrades for United are Kevin Alston and Anthony Wallace.

Alston was a starter for New England his first four seasons in MLS but was sidelined by cancer, this season. He has supposedly beaten it and is back on the roster but has lost his starting RB spot to Andrew Farrell and even LB, where he played some for NE, is now taken by Chris Tierney. He's 25 so he's still in his prime and I'm sure he wants to go someplace where he can start. He's been an MLS all-star starter and NE's Defender of the Year so he is not without quality. He's also from the DC area, for what that's worth.

NE won't give him away, but he's also no longer a starter so they aren't going to be able to get a whole lot for him, either. This is a do-able trade that should help all three parties.

Now, should United trade for him and sign Jalen Robinson even though both are best at RB? Absolutely! Depth is never a bad thing, especially with this team being in CONCACAF next year. Also, Alston can also play LB. Speaking of which, United should kick the tires on Anthony Wallace. This guy was a starter at left back in MLS Cup for Colorado and even got capped by the US National Team the following winter.

But he got hurt and missed last year and part of this year and when he got healthy he was buried behind Chris Klute, who seems to be entrenched at LB in Colorado till he decides to go to Europe in a few years. (Just a guess.) So Wallace is available. He's played a little bit for the Rapids but I can't imagine they'd ask much for him. He's never gonna be Roberto Carlos, but a guy who has won an MLS ring and been capped by the US and is just 24 would, if healthy, be an upgrade at LB for DCU.

And a trio of Alston, Wallace and Robinson would give United a really nice fullback rotation and toss-in Korb and now you've got actual bona fide MLS caliber depth at FB.

Alston and Wallace, while viable in my opinion, are just suggestions. Signing Robinson is a must-do.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    #39 Sandon Mibut, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    There are plenty of good CBs out there in college. A lot of them are underclassmen and unless MLS changes its stupid rule and lets them declare for the draft, they won't be available without a GA deal.

There are some good seniors out there. One sleeper might be right under our noses at George Mason. Check out Hugh Roberts, a 6-4 Sr. CB from Maryland who is a converted attacker.

http://www.gomason.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=25200&ATCLID=205055989

I'm not saying Roberts is a lock to play in MLS, he just someone who could slip because he's not at a big program and DCU might benefit because he's local. Certainly worth looking at.

15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another 6'4" CB who was a converted attacker is Clarence Goodson, and he turned out well.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Christian Dean. 6-3, Jr. Got some looks from Ramos last U20 cycle but apparently he didn't suck enough to play CB for the U20s.

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=207895266

Pisses me off. I have FIOS, too, and the Pac-12 shows a LOT of soccer and it's all obviously teams we don't see out here much. Would love to be able to watch those games for evaluation purposes.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Omar Gonzalez is converted, too.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The one area the team needs to go big for the off-season, financially, is at forward. The kind of forwards that would make a difference cost a lot of money but that's what the DP slots are for.

If they want to start building excitement for the new stadium, winning games in MLS and doing well in the CCC would go a long way towards doing that and a forward who can actually score consistently would help immeasurably. But that takes management committing to the cost. And a front office capable of finding the right guy. Those are two BIG ifs.

JoeSoccerFan and Winoman repped this.
  19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  20. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we decide, or are unable to, sign a legitimate striking threat, then I'd say we're done. We won't score goals at all, same as this year, even if we add a major CM or wingbacks. The only hope we'd have then would be to play a 433 with Pontius-Silva-DeLeon running triangles in the offensive 3rd supported by the 3 best midfielders we have, of which, probably only Kitchen is one on the team now.

If we keep Hamid and Jakovic (gets his head on straighter) we might be able to scrape up to .500 if we score some goals. But we won't score enough without a... wait for it... goal scorer. We can't go another year waiting on Pontius to be that guy.

Boloni86 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Davies was the last DCU forward to score 10 goals in a season and before him you have to go back to Emilio. It's not surprising without an upfront threat DC has been so sad these past few years.

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Agreed. Pontius, Silva, Doyle, even DeRo at this stage of his career, are all secondary or supplemental attacking players. Good in a role but not the go-to guy.

United needs that. And again, they don't come cheap. (And they don't come from the MLS draft, either.)

23. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Mamadou Duoduo Diouf - Clearly this is the guy we need to sign. I would pay good money to be the game day announcer just to say that name over the PA system at RFK! His name itself is an echo so that would sound even cooler

24. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    If we trade the number 1 pick, I would want two picks as close as possible in this year's draft in the top ten. 2nd rounders tend to be long term projects and tend to get cut in the preseason on some teams.

25. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    I would gladly trade allocation money to acquire Alston. I liked what I saw from him coming out of college. I think he was in the same draft as Pontius. This would be a great time to make a trade for him as long has he has a good medical review and we give him a full offseason to prepare for 2014. I'm not familiar with Anthony Wallace.

Sandon Mibut repped this.