2013-2014 Off-season rumors, news, opinions and hijinks

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JoeSoccerFan, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Time to start preparing for off-season.

2. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought it was the off-season. I mean, heck, we just won the cup! ;)

3. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Been digging around trying to find out whether the #1 pick in 2014 will actually be good or not. Anyone know about the quality of the prospects for the '14 class. No more expansion this coming season right? Have been hoping we'd land the #1 since the 4th of July when it became clear (well, maybe June) that barring a miracle, it would be us, Chivas, or Toronto locking in the worst record, then we ran away with it. Hoping to land a legit player.

4. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    well, I know a little about the college game. Off the top of my head:

The list of #1 senior candidates (in no order):
    • Patrick Mullins (MD): LF forward who can play LMF; strong body, powerful shot; runs well
    • Kyle Venter (NM): RF CB - sturdy, CB good in the air, powerful
    • Joe Sofia (UCLA): RF CB - smart CB, strong, good with ball
    • Mamadou Duoduo Diouf (Connecticut): Fwd, international; quick, agile, wiry, powerful - but small, tremendously smart, good driven professional, shooting on the run and can create his own shot. At times, shooting can be erratic.
    • Steve Neuman (Georgetown): RF creative withdrawn forward/central midfielder, very smart, exceptional on set pieces, creative, very fit, but has suffered niggling injuries
    • Jared Watts (WF) - RF, tenacious DM, very similar to Perry Kitchen.
    These are the main candidates. I'm sure that there may be other seniors that could inch up the board. However, a non-senior (GA) could be a candidate. I'd prefer to wait until these players are signed as GA.

While DCU needs CB help, more dire is a goal scoring forward, left back and right back.
    My recommendation is to trade down and pick up more picks, there are some LB and RB that I'd rather have. I'd suggest RB Chris Duvall (WF) and LB Ben Sweat (USF). Maybe a shot at getting Aodhan Quinn (LM with tremendous LF passing, strong and smart). This could give us depth if Pointius is not available.

I'd use the allocation $$$ to pick up an international forward with a record of scoring goals. Sorry, no idea who.

I'd sign Jalen Robinson (WF) sophomore as a HG.

Eastern Bear, asitis, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Please find the next Austin Berry or Matt Hedges

6. mosca

mosca Member

Sep 13, 1999
    Honolulu
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you think of this year's Cal team? Any potential MLS players among the Golden Bears?

7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England, Philly and Vancouver all have two first round picks.

8. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I haven't seen them this year, only saw them once last year and a couple of times 2 years ago. Senior CB Steve Birnbaum sat out last year from injury. When I saw him last, he really understood the game and how to play defense. He was an acceptable athlete, but the young African-American kid next to him was a much better athlete but was not as good understanding how to play defense (can't remember the kids name). If Birnbaum returns to his original health (no lingering injuries), he has a chance to make a MLS team. However, he's not a #1.

Junior Seth Casiple is a slight, slick ball handling midfielder. I really liked what I saw of him as a freshman, but was unimpressed with his effort and skill as a sophomore against Md.

Since I have Verizon (hence no P12 TV), I don't get to see California even on TV much.

mosca repped this.
  9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was excited to see them tie against UDub yesterday. I was sure they'd win and knock my Huskies outta the Top 10.

Isn't the Golden Bear the advertising mascot for Super Sugar Crisp cereal? ;)

Sugar Bear, Huggy Bear, Smokey (da) Bear they're so hard to keep straight :)

mosca repped this.
  10. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You're thinking of Bear Whiz Beer.

11. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Glad to have JSF's comments on here. I'd love to have him as GM. Trading down for more quality depth is a solid move and get the LB, RB, and Forward from the international markets.

tallguy and Barbieri repped this.
  12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh sure, it sounds good. Until you you have to hunt him down during a 12-day bender right around the close to the summer transfer window - or when he loads the team with Swansea cast-offs :)

13. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What we need is for Ben to get better at integrating players in the preseason. He failed with Bosko/Salihi and with Sanchez, Raf(ph)ael. I believe we need to fire Kasper before the lockers are cleaned out but barring that Ben can't fail to integrate new players into the team again. That is one of his big failures as coach. I do believe that we had substantial talent in the last two+ seasons but when Ben couldn't figure out how to use them they were dumped.

Either Ben needs to have a tactician to assist him or he needs to learn this lesson.

Either way Kasper needs to be run out of town.
    James

14. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Hasn't Kasper been on a 4-5 year bender? Amiright?

15. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    I'm almost embarrassed to know this, but wasn't that Jack Nicklaus? ;)

16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It's funny (in a tragic way) that Sugar Crisp wasn't enough of a brand to keep children eat sweet cereal that you had to invent Supetr Sugar Crisp. Maybe historians will mark that day as the official beginning of America's obesity epidemic. :(

17. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it's not all bad. With American citizens too obese to pass military fitness tests, our armed forces will have to fill their ranks with illegal immigrants who were fit enough to cross the Sonoran desert, swim the Rio Grande, and climb the border fences. This should give us the impetus to pass sensible immigration/citizenship legislation. And we might get some promising footy players, too.

tallguy, song219 and fatbastard repped this.
  18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, at least it was honest - and gave consumers fair information; it was super sugary :) - the day it turned for the worse was when they re-named the cereal Golden Crisp - just to fool you back into buying it after you stopped because it had sugar in the title (it still has the same amount of sugar inside the cereal, just not on the box) because Golden sounded healthier.

Similar to Sugar Corn Pops - now just Corn Pops because "corn is good for you".

Oveki8 repped this.
  19. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Now that's intern worthy spin. :D

fatbastard repped this.
  20. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    But those immigrants come here an adapt our way of live and become useless to our military. We have to keep on attracting illegal immigrants but I assume Latin America will run out of poor to serve our purposes.

I can see bringing in African and Indian poor to replace the Latin American poor but I think Indians so have proven to be terrible footy players.

21. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Wondowloski?

bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's Native American

23. mosca

mosca Member

Sep 13, 1999
    Honolulu
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be wrong, but I think this is a bit revisionist. First off, I don't think that Bokovic's playing time was the same issue as Salihi/Sanchez/Raph/f/ael. I really liked Bosko a lot. I thought he was a quality player. But IIRC, he was injured for more than a year, right? I thought Ben utilized Bosko pretty effectively once he was healthy and able to play a full game.

24. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Gujurati name?

25. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    #25 Oveki8, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

[​IMG] [​IMG]

:D

Marco10, Barbieri, fatbastard and 4 others repped this.