2013-2014 EPL Referee Assignments & Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Scrabbleship, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yea it got a caution. Sure the angle wasn't great but he was closer to the penalty spot than the goal line so not that bad IMO.

2. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    :laugh::laugh:
    You really need to give up the predicting business. Stick to the conspiracy theories. You can never be proven wrong
    in those!

PH

3. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    BTW, anyone see anything of the Hull-Swansea match? Looks like Webb may not have had
    any weird decisions.

PH

4. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me Taylor has a ridiculous threshold of contact to judge a foul. I saw a number of instances that contact was far above trifling and that clearly impacted play and should have resulted in a foul, but didn't.

5. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Early in the Everton v. Arsenal match, Everton's midfielder Leon Osman committed a foul near the touchline and was cut by the falling Arsenal player's boot. Referee Atkinson waited until Osman was back on his feet and about to head off for treatment before issuing the yellow card. Osman actually turned. Back to acknowledge it. Pretty cool mechanic. Did I mention that Everton won?

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lose.

Webb gets Palace v Villa.

Clattenburg gets the big one. Deserved on merit, of course, but surprising given how recently he saw Liverpool.

Dean gets Fulham v Norwich, which is a big relegation battle now.

7. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Yay! I semi-predicted Clattenburg. Do I win a prize??

8. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    If Webb doesn't get Liverpool v. Chelsea at the end of the month then something truly is up.

9. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    A good appointment, thankfully. If it had been Webb, in the media the match would have been about him, not the teams.

PH

10. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    As I pointed out earlier, I don't imagine LFC nor the fans would want him there. Aside from the issues regarding his past games with them, there is the very sensitive issue of Hillsborough still lingering, with the re-opening of the formal inquest after there have been complaints about the original one. And this weekend is the 25th anniversary of that tragedy, and it will be observed at all stadiums, I believe with KOs delayed until 3:07 PM

Of course, he had nothing to do with that, as he would not have been with the South Yorkshire police at the time, but he is now, which does not help. So overall it is best that he not be assigned there.

But it also does seem that they are keeping him away from other critically important matches as well. Why that should be is debatable.

PH

11. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    He loses too! It was Big Sam who was upset, moaning about referee decisions, when one of the biggest errors on an allowed goal all season was in his favor.
    But he (and PerfectNot) doesn't care, since Everton got a good result.

PH

12. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Didn't think of the police connection, PH. Well done to point that out.

I was watching MOTD on NBCSN, and I saw two replays of a gut-busting run by Clatts. It is a mark of the nerdiness of this board that I have no idea who the teams were only that Clatts ran as hard as the defender next to him to go from penalty area to penalty area and turn and go back up after the ball was saved and moved back up the field. It was the utmost display of fitness I have seen in some time.

13. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Your post prompted me to go look for that clip. Clattenburg was trucking.

14. Slaskwroclaw18

Jun 26, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well now I am curious! Could someone post it?!

15. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Just watch any of his games. He does this routinely.
    But to be fair, so do quite a few other top referees both past and present.
    And in the past, it was goal line to goal line, not just 18 to 18!

PH

16. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Howard has a fairly big UEFA Champions League match. Maybe that affected his weekend assignment?

LINE-UPS - Atletico v Barcelona (Agg: 1-1) 19:45 BST

Atletico Madrid: Courtois, Godin, Filipe Luis, Juanfran, Miranda, Tiago, Koke, Raul Garcia, Gabi, Adrian, Villa. Subs: Aranzubia, Mario Suarez, Rodriguez, Alderweireld, Insua, Sosa, Diego.

Barcelona: Pinto, Mascherano, Bartra, Jordi Alba, Dani Alves, Fabregas, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Messi, Neymar. Subs: Oier, Montoya, Pedro, Alexis, Song, Adriano, Sergi Roberto.

Referee: Howard Webb (England)

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darren Cann is on the UCL match today and also on the Liverpool/City match, so I don't think it follows that the UCL assignment affected the weekend appointments. If anything, Cann's presence on the Liverpool/City match reinforces the belief that this assignment is purely on merit.

As @Rufusabc said, it will be interesting to see who gets Liverpool/Chelsea at the end of the month. If it's not Webb, I think that means either Rufusabc is right that the powers that be aren't happy with his performances or Pierre Head is right that he is being deliberately kept away from high-profile matches (or some combination of both).

18. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Can someone please explain to me the difference between Match of Day, Match of Week, Premier League Review Show, and Premier League Encore?

19. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AremRed repped this.
  20. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I came on here to ask what do people think is going to be the assignment for the FA Cup final, but I guess I didn't think of Clattenberg. Seems to be the best option.

Initially I thought Michael Oliver might get one but he has a semi.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clattenburg seems the best and obvious option, but this year's FA Cup is going to be pretty low-profile in terms of the clubs involved. I could see Clattenburg being made to wait until a more high-profile encounter occurs, as he will undoubtedly get the game at some point.

Also, for the last 8 FA Cup Finals, the referee has previously been on the Final as a 4th official. So while it's not a long-term tradition, it has been recent policy. That would suggest it's Lee Probert's "turn" if Clattenburg isn't the guy.

Can't see anyone outside Clattenburg or Probert, though.

Barciur repped this.
  22. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great Red card from Clattenburg in the 93rd minute. Easy studs up, leg locked right up into the shin.

GrooveDog repped this.
  23. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Yeah, no argument about that one. He's had a good game, but there will be some big discussion points (Sakho on Dzeko in penalty area in the first half, various Suarez dives after his caution)

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be the classic case of a game excellently managed and well-officiated that, nonetheless, had several game critical decisions that could have gone the other way (Skrtel's handling at the end probably being the closest to any of the penalty shouts that "needed" to be given).

I thought Clattenburg refereed very well and, to borrow a Herb Silva phrase, "produced an event." But, yes, there will still be plenty of talking points for some.

soccerman771 repped this.