2013-2014 DFB Pokal (German Cup) Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by footyfan1, Jun 16, 2013.

?

How Far Borussia Dortmund Go In The 2013-2014 DFB Pokal (German Cup)?

Poll closed Dec 16, 2013.
  1. Borussia Dortmund Will Win The 2014 German Cup Final

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Borussia Dortmund Will Lose The Cup Final

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Borussia Dortmund Will Lose In The Semi-Finals

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Borussa Dortmund Will Lose In The Quarter-Finals

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Borussia Dortmund Will Lose In The Second Round

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Borussia Dortmund Will Be Upset At SV Wihelmshaven

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I Don't Know

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No I get your point. Mine is that it was VERY APPARENT what the real issue was. You saw it in both United matches. Started mentally out of it. It took United's goals to wake up. A clear difference in attitude. The only tactical problem was not starting Mandzukic in the first leg against United but that belies their approach in all three matches. This isn't something new. We know Bayern even got complacent under Heynckes. It's the players. We see it for Germany too. There's a lack of consistent hunger in a lot of these players and an air of comfort when things go too well for too long. There was no strategic reason United should have had such a good performance against Bayern, a team that was superior in EVERY level even with every United player in form, etc.

2. heynckes' hanging leftnut

Feb 27, 2013
    ah, well then don't get defensive if it is pointed out that your predictions are off.

You can list any that you got right.

Let us stay on the point....have you ever seen me scream obscenities in here?

This actually makes sense. Except that I don't think bayern took their foot off the gas all the way. It was still well on it, but not progressively pushing on it as much as it otherwise would have been.

You know...emotion is what makes the world go round. It is the reason that players do anything. Analytics come about because of emotion too. What made you feel like analysing football in this manner?

3. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But I don't even make predictions or set out to. It's just part of conversation. You're being a dick by making it a contest.

That you're a dick. Always right on that one.

Who cares

So for you Dortmund was just the better team right? Like the first time these two teams met? In other words, what was the last match you saw that was dictated by strategy?

What an astounding scientific discovery. We are fleshbags who are just emotional animals giving in to out survival instincts. We just happen to have an over-developed brain that allowed us to build an entire civilization.

chewz, nekkibasara and Bavarian Queen repped this.
  4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For the record, SirManchester was exceptionally prescient in stating that Lahm in MF would be the best option in Bayern's transition from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-1-4-1 at a time when everyone, myself included, questioned the move. So the argument that his knowledge of football is somehow fundamentally incomplete because he has never gotten anything right falls flat on its face.

5. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    No offense, but unless your name is Pep Guardiola, your interpretation is no more accurate than mine. That's why I said there are other possibilities because only Pep and the team know for sure why things happened the way they did. Anyone else -- you, me or anyone here -- are merely speculating.

Dhajj, footyfan1 and Lahmfan repped this.
  6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ugh not this argument again.

And I believe in intellectual discrepancies of football analysis between people who don't play or coach elite teams. It's absurd to suggest otherwise.

7. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Get your logic out of here!

8. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

LoewenBoy and footyfan1 repped this.
  9. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Oh, sorry. I forgot how you fancy yourself quite the football strategy savant; knowing so much more than we mere mortals.

We agree that the likely scenario is that Pep wanted the team to play one way and they failed. However, you cannot know for certain that is the case. To suggestion otherwise demonstrates your own arrogance and is the pinnacle of absurdity. So, you win.

10. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
  11. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LoewenBoy repped this.
  12. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    See. why this argument again? You seem to be so upset that somebody else might have deeper insight or knowledge or even hunger for knowledge that you resort to passive aggressive bullying. That's what this is with people here.

If you are going to make this into a philosophical argument, how do we know Bayern's jersey color is red? What is red?

Yes we don't know what the manager says but we are talking simple pattern recognition here. Nothing else.

Moreover if you are going to make the argument that Pep wanted one way and another turned out, you better prepare to use the right language and define things (tactically, etc.) to make your case. That's a debate I'm willing to have. Not a simple dismissal based on this obscure agnostic take on the very observable. Nobody including me made definitive assessments on what Pep said. Feel free to waste your time and dig up quotes but conclusions are drawn about the body language of a player...running versus not running, positional discipline relative to team shape vs. non, concentration on key duels, etc. Observable facts.

You know what, ******** this. Same shit, different poster. I'm done.

13. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    ROFL...you have such a high opinion of yourself. We agree, dumbass. What we DON'T agree on is who is responsible for the team's play. You claim to know based on your keen ability to view the game. Guess what? Most people here have the same f*cking ability. We are just not as arrogant about it as you are!

As for your "deeper insight", it is clear that you value your opinion more than anyone here. We all have deep insight into the game based on our experiences. I will wager there are folks here that have personal insight into a player's or coach's perspective WAY more than you do. They just are not as pedantic about it as you are. Glad you're "done". Maybe you will learn to listen and value other's opinions as much as you value your own.

14. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Again, all throwing around insults and never backing your argument up.

The problem is that you NEVER presented an opinion. You just said may or may not. And when I asked you to elaborate you failed miserably to do so. I don't know why. Maybe you don't actually have an opinion here so maybe you shouldn't have responded and invited actual dialogue. Maybe the neutrality of your viewpoint on this doesn't allow discourse to begin with.

But it's always easier to slag other people off right? You see what you want to see because you made your mind up about people who you perceive to want to debate a lot. It makes you uneasy. It makes you uneasy that I don't fit the mold of poster that you are comfortable with. If I'm whatever name you want to call me because I like to speak my mind frequently and do so on my own accord, then what are you? A non-entity. I know which one I'd rather be.

BLOCKED.

15. heynckes' hanging leftnut

Feb 27, 2013

Do i detect some anger or is it a subtle tactical formation seeping through those words?

actually, all i am saying is that the emotional aspect comes before strategy. This is real life..not a computer simulation. The emotional (or psychological..whichever word you prefer) makeup needs to be right for strategy to be implemented correctly. So by reading the body language, facial espressions and the things done by players - pretty accurate predictions of the outcomes can be made. Thats why i dont bother going into the strategy like you do.

Now that you've gone slightly off-topic, I will too:

You mean like the civilisations that never colonised, subjugated, capitalised on, murdered, conquered nor discriminated millions of people? When you think of it that way and see that they did and still do, your second sentence is spot on.

Please deign to point out to me which exclusive interests and pursuits you deem as "civilised"?

Before you do that, step out of your analytics; go somewhere different and just feel it. You are the most closed-minded poster I've talked to here.

LoewenBoy repped this.
  16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You're not funny.

If you mean that executing a strategy comes as a result of being emotionally prepared, this doesn't contradict the need for strategy to exist in what is essentially A ********ING GAME. The structure of games depend on rules and strategy.

You are reaching. I agree that emotions dictate action. But you're fighting the wrong war here or at least sought out the wrong enemy in reason. Don't know why. Dont care really but think about this. Pep's passion drives his tactical and philosophical understanding. Pep is the perfect marriage of someone who is in love with football and its many aspects.

17. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  18. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Insults? Says the guy who jsut called another poster a "dick"? You have a double-standard complex, don't you? I forgot why we used to call you "Slur Man". ROFL, you take the cake.

WTF are you talking about? What do you think an opinion is? Go back and read. Christ you like to hear yourself talk.

Ok, cupcake. Whatever you say. Read your own posts. Wait, don't...you do that too much already.

No. It amazes me you value your opinion and insight above that of others. You fail in your attempt to read and understand what people actually write. But whatever. Have your double-standard. Guys like you are beyond talking to. Your superiority complex is amazing. Here's to you...

Lahmfan and footyfan1 repped this.
  19. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why can't we just recognize that emotion and tactics are both important and be done with it?

chewz repped this.
  20. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I had fun watching for a change.......... ;)

chewz and LoewenBoy repped this.
  21. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    but he blocked you

LoewenBoy repped this.
  22. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    He can't resist. ;)

On another note...the actual game....Zzzzzz. Bayern just rolled...though looked a bit lost at first, then goals. FCK never looked in the game. The Final should be fun.

Even more interesting is if Bayern get in to the CL final. The BL is wrapped up, but the Pokal Final is on 5/17 with the CL Final on 5/24. How hard will Bayern play BVB for the Pokal do you think?

23. heynckes' hanging leftnut

Feb 27, 2013
    It's not "just a game". It is a part of real life. I suppose it is experienced differently by players, fans at the stadium, managers and fans overseas..but the point is...everything that applies "elsewhere" in life applies here too.

And football is simple..get the ball into the net without using your hands and by staying onside. It is instinctive. Pass the ball to get there. Strategy can be devised..but they all lead to that. The players that react better and get to the ball or to the spot first on the day, does it better. Football didn't become so influential around the world...played by so many..because of strategy. It is because it is an outlet for emotion..it is simply a part of their life rather than being a "game" that is separated and analysed.

It looks like you backtracked somewhat here. I stick to what I said. I think Pep is a good example, but I think you are giving emphasis to the strategy where it is not there. If you knew Pep's motivation and the reasons for doing everything he has done, I bet it would put the strategy right into context and put all the prominence on his motivations.

24. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    AND if BVB win the pokal final then i will be the first to congrat them for the results. -- just to put this out there in case people still butthurt from my previous posts on the last match thread.

if we advance to the final and thats a big IF really (although i hope we trash those real madrid asshole 7-0 similar to Barca last year) but if we to qualify i think pep will field the best possible team for both games. I think that the players will be taking both games seriously and not pull shit like they pulled last game against BVB. we have the depth to be able to finish on a strong note but we shall see how things go.

the problem is and i have been seeing it with this team this season, when the game worth playing for, they pull magic out of their ass and do what necessary to win the game. but when the game is not important and they are playing for nothing then those fackers will be lazy and uninterested of doing anything.

but here is something i guarantee, if they play football like they mean it there is no one in the world will stop them from achieving another treble

my $0.02

LoewenBoy and Boandlkramer repped this.
  25. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany