2013-2014 Columbus Crew Offseason Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Could someone explain to me what the fascination is with Glauber? Sure he had an awesome goal (one), but otherwise all I can remember is the dude getting burned over and over because of poor decisions and slow feet. Unfortunately neither of those things tend to improve when you're 30 years old. If he was a bargain I might understand, but at $263,333 I just don't get it.

Completely honestly? I was only sort of bummed when he got hurt - I wanted him benched anyway, and I knew RW wasn't gonna do it.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  2. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I watched Portland play last night at Seattle. Nice game. The pace and aggressiveness that Portland displayed gave me a new perspective on the Crew. We are not good. We show flashes of quality every few games. We are better than mid season, but we just don't have it. I feel like wil Trapp wouldn't start for Portland. He has no offensive ability. We can't continue with the likes of Meram and Tchani and schoenfeld. That's hoping for the playoffs. That's not ever gonna get to the cup.

We need real talent. I'd rather spend the $500k on a quality striker than 3 guys that can't score. It doesn't help our depth but we won't win otherwise.

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland has Porter as the head coach. Wonder if WE could have had Porter as our head coach. Hmmm....

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yeah, that's part of the argument for GBS. He could find better players for the money than Bliss, even if it just means bringing in 3 or 4 Argentines. GBS sent Diego Valeri to Portland where he excelled. He makes 400K. Instead we have Arrieta and Sanchez making more than that while producing less.

5. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Porter tried to get us to trade Trapp's rights to him before the season. Trapp isn't expected to play an offensive role

6. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be nice if Trapp could develop a long-range shot. Snipe in 5-7 goals a year from the top of the box or a little further back.

7. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will take 2-3 goals and 4 assists.

8. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either would work - force the guys in the box to loosen up and take his foot into account.

9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Trapp seems willing to shoot which is the main thing. His accuracy can probably be improved. He had a nice goal at the U-20 WC on a long rebound.

10. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who was the last person on a Crew roster to be capped for the USMNT? Robbie Rogers?

11. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has one name.

12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Probably. I think Gaven and maybe Chad had invites to the January camp but turned them down.

13. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Asked Bliss about Valeri at Crewsmas Eve, actually, because there were rumors about Valeri coming here before Portland snagged him. He said they scouted him and really liked him, but then GBS said "You can't afford him" so they didn't pursue.

14. DhamphirLoki

DhamphirLoki Member

Nov 4, 2008
    That is really depressing. :(

15. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol We'll take GBS's financial advice but heaven forbid we put him in the coach's seat.

Aaron d and SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    By Crewsmas the Crew didn't have any cap space to add Valeri but a couple months earlier he could have certainly fit under the cap. Did Portland pay a big transfer fee for him?

17. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he is on Loan with an option to buy.

18. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    Excellent point.

Was. They bought out the deal this summer.

One thing that I've not seen brought up (unless I've missed it) is that maybe, just maybe, Guille just wasn't all that interested in us. Or if he was/still is, that first and foremost for him, he had every intention of honoring his commitment to Lanus through next June, which would render any discussion over whether or not we could meet the buyout moot. That's why when word of his talks with NYC surfaced I was concerned because that timeline would suit his circumstances much better than a move here or to any other club in MLS.

19. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I just mentioned this earlier today. I think it's something that is entirely likely but most Crew fans don't want to admit.

It's just assumed that all Precourt had to do was ask and it would be a done deal. I'm not so sure Columbus is even the best fit for him, for a lot of the reasons you mentioned.

Hell, even Orlando may be a nice possibility in a couple of years for him that gives him time to accomplish plenty in Argentina.

20. SourCream&OnionUtd

Nov 19, 1998
    I only noticed after posting that it had finally been brought up in the other thread.

I still think Kreis gets the NYC job, and the whole thing is a built-in stunt unless he's undefeated in his first ten games. I feel confident the same would happen to GBS if he somehow takes that gig.

I'm pretty sure we are by far the best fit for Guille. But I can understand that the timing seems all wrong.

21. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    Really? GBS had a great time here, won a championship, opened his own business with Padula, said he loved it here because people are nice and they don't bother him. Why would he interview for the job if he had no intentions? Just to pull the leg of a loyal fan base who knows he was run out of town? We await answers.

eboe repped this.
  22. Dominican

Dominican Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Reynoldsburg
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leverage with his current team and other possible suitors?

Lucky Day repped this.
  23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a former D1 linebacker, believe it or not.

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ot he simply may have asked for too much money. There are many possibilities. And we probably won't find out, either--which is wise. There is no sense for either side in burning any bridges. We know the Crew tends to be tight-lipped. I expect GBS is the same.

25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    But the timing objection doesn't make much sense. Argentina is getting worse by the day, not better. If he wants to get his family out, the sooner the better. Even if he has to remain behind to finish his contract. Even if the Crew were unable to reach agreement with Lanus on a buyout, Guille would be free in June. Worst case the Crew could wait for him until then. He'd have opportunities between now and then to see the players and offer input into player selection and roster construction. Heck, he could probably just send Gustavo to cover for him.

Don't forget that DCU in 96 waited for Arena to come in a number of games into the season. Didn't stop them from winning MLS cup that year.

I expect the inability to sign Guille is more connected to salary or Copa Libertadores than when he would start.