2013-2014 Bundesliga Match Day 23: SC Freiburg v Borussia Dortmund [R]

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by chewz, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Nick (SATVLog)

Feb 15, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Auba is not a CF.. the only place he can really play is on the right wing

2. PolishDortmund

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Not really, Auba found himself in at least 2-3 good positions after Schieber got subbed off and PEA was playing as a striker. I think he could be a great striker however we would have to change our system a bit because then we would have no one to hold the ball in the middle like Lewandowski always does.

3. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lewandowski plays deeper because Klopp likely doesn't have as much faith in the playmaking abilities of the current quintet. Last season we had a lot of balance in midfield 5. We had Reus' direct play, Kuba's conservative link-up play, Gotze's hold-up play and dribbling, Ilkay's play making and Bender's ability to shield the back 4. Not to mention we also had Hummels play making from deep. Lewandowski had a lot of talent behind him whereby he could play high up the pitch.

We have a very different set of players now. Miki's role is yet to be defined. I had no clue what he was supposed to do with Schieber up front. If he doesn't know then Auba sure as hell won't know. This is an area where I think Klopp needs to improve as coach. If he isn't tactically sound his players aren't like to be able to improvise. Hopefully this changes...

4. Nick (SATVLog)

Feb 15, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He lacks the physicality to either hold up the ball, the link play to create chances, and I don't see battling with a CB pairing over 45+ games a year. Really is greatest strength is his quickness and speed....and he gets in good scoring positions for a Winger. Also, he doesn't link play well enough to play on the left, in a position where he has to link play.

5. kbvb

kbvb Member

May 15, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Mehmedi was toying with our backline. He could have easily scored/assisted on 3-4 occasions had he been a bit more smart in taking the chances.

Overall, our performance was way below the average (not surprised though given the absence of Lewa and Reus).
    Hummels had a good game.
    Sokratis is making stupid mistakes ever since he became a father.:confused:
    Micky/Schemlzer/Piszczek/Kehl had a decent game.
    Schieber/Sahin/Grosskreutz were horrible.
    Aubameyang may have scored lots of goals, but he does not look like a 1st team player. Poor show. It leaves you frustrated when you see his technical limitations (heavy touches, poor control in the air, poor ball control while running). I would rate Grosskreutz above him.

Freiburg had a chance to beat us and believe in themselves that they can avoid relegation (I so want them to stay in the bundesliga). But their horrible decision-making upfront cost them all 3 points.

footyfan1 repped this.
  6. Kalymnos23

Kalymnos23 New Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Hi guys, I'm Greek, thought I'd check out the forum. Dortmund are my favourite team in Germany, and now especially because Sokratis plays for you.

I really have to disagree here. Sure, Sokratis did not have the best game, but I felt he was better than Hummels and actually saved him, especially on this occassion where he got the yellow card:

Watch 58 seconds in: https://www.youtube....h?v=cIHPIJEk6xg

Just wanted to get your thoughts!

Cheers. :)

7. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Welcome!
    I agree with you on this specific episode, but can't remember much of the match anymore to assess Sokratis' performance, as the match was dreadful and I tend to repress negative memories.

8. kbvb

kbvb Member

May 15, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I might have sounded a bit harsh on Sokratis when I said "stupid" mistakes. I was referring to his positioning and passing. The kind of performances he has given over the season, he has set the bar quite high and I feel he has been our best defender of the season so far.
    But if you observe last 3 games, you will find he does not look comfortable on ball when under pressure and ends up playing a risky pass (even backpass).