2013-2014 Borussia Dortmund Champions' League Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by footyfan1, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

How Will Borussia Dortmund Fare In The 2013-2014 CL?

1. BVB will be the ones celebrating in Lisbon on May 24, 2014

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. BVB will be the ones disappointed in Lisbon on May 24, 2014

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. BVB will make the semi-finals, but lose there.

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. BVB will make the quarter-finals, but lose there.

15 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. BVB will make the round of 16, but lose there.

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. BVB will not get out of the group stage.......

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. I don't know.......

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Gundogan92

Gundogan92 Member+

Apr 13, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Durm was a striker for the reserves, even more impressive:cool:

2. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully. This is what I am really pinning my hopes for him on......

This was really well said man.

They probably thought we would kneel before them as Scheisse 04 did. We sure as hell gave them all they could handle, didn't we???

3. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Durm had been a striker his entire career before joining BVB. I believe he still played his first season with us as a striker.

He hasn't been converted for very long. Piszczek was the same when he switched at Hertha. But of course, Piszczek had been playing longer than Durm before he (Piszczek) made the switch.

4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have to propose this. Here is where you can't just dismiss the numbers argument. I now numbers always require context but I think general assessments of Reus lack context as well. For instance, why spotty? If he assists in a game rather than shoot and that shot is missed and he doesn't score, he is more likely to have a bad game when he is being merely self-less.

Moreover, regarding the numbers, a player of his records simply cannot be assessed to be inconsistent. It's irrational. If you were to lay out a random group of current players whom we can assess as spotty of inconsistent or whatever and compare their output to Reus' you would see a clear discrepancy. This reminds me of the criticism aimed at him this season that he isn't one of the five best players in the season when he is if you assess his game. And we can go beyond the goal/assist ratio by digging into more context-heavy statistics like the player responsible for most chances created as a whole, etc.

Also, I wouldn't even claim him to be a top 10 player yet but he is a world class player, and a consistent one at that.

5. PolishDortmund

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Hummels is class and I hope he stays with us for years to come. He also showed he has great personality.

Jojic was excellent considering this was his debut, he is 21 and he just played against freaking Real Madrid!

Mkhitarayn was poor... But I dont want to torture him anymore. Buying him was a mistake, we will see how it develops.

We were brilliant and thats what matters. All I wanted was to see us fight, I got much more than that.

Also, did you get the feeling this match is going to be great when Weidenfeller saved that penalty?

6. BVB1989

BVB1989 Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Bled, Slovenia
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    And I'm happy for Jojič! Boy showed some class in this match! I like his style. In some way he reminds me on Gundogan, but of course its waaay to early to make judgments like that.

I would gladly offload Micky for Kagawa but its highly unlikely to happen. He just can't fuc*** score a sitter :/

7. PolishDortmund

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Miki has his problems he needs to figure out. He's not a bad player.

Still a lot to fight for this season! We want to keep the 2nd place in the league and we have DFB Pokal to play for! I think we could call this season a very good one if we would win this cup. Even playing in the final would be nice. Still a lot of good things can happen. :)

8. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can't wait til Miki has a great season next to put all these comments into the "vast exaggeration" bin.

9. DortmundXXX

DortmundXXX Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I'm very glad that the players put up such a fight. We went out of the CL with dignity.

10. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was convinced we were going through. Miki missed sitters but was phenomenal aside from final shots. Could and should have been at least 4:0. Everyone else getting perfect score from me.

Interesting how well Miki does when playing deeper.

Stellar performance all around and plenty of pride to have. With such potential, we can take it all next season.

Kudos to Klopp! He made it possible.

11. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Can't help being very skeptical. If in Madrid we had played at 50% of how we did today we would have gone through.

I just hope Miki can be better next year. If we screw up and get a guy like Ramos, we will be relying heavily on him along with Reus and Hummels.

12. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Also let's not forget the Madrid midfield had a terrible game. Illaramendi was a pylon.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Di Maria also missed a PK. We would have had to score 5. It's all "woulda, coulda, shoulda..."

Chinky24 repped this.
  14. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope for our sake that you are right. We need him to overperform next year.

15. PolishDortmund

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Listen, we could have gone through with the squad we had! We just weren't efficient enough and made to many silly mistakes in the first game. But sometimes it just happens and you can't do much about it. We will be back stronger. :)

If we avoid injuries next season and make solid transfers we will be very strong once again and who knows what will happen, sky is the limit.

But we need to focus on this season because we have a Pokal final to play for and 2nd place in the league, those are important too.

16. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nothing would make me happier. A Reus Miki Volland midfield would be great next season.

Dhajj repped this.
  17. Nick (SATVLog)

Feb 15, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the solution for Miki is to move him deep......Hope Kuba is fit for next season and Dortmund need a #1o badly...

18. heynckes' hanging leftnut

Feb 27, 2013
    Well, what about that now?

Everything i said about the tie was true. By the end of the tie it was 50/50 as to who would advance. If bvb had a full squad to choose from, I would have made the chances of going through 70/30 to bvb..and now i hope you can see why. The dynamic between the two teams, the injuries to bvb players and the occasion of a CL quarterfinal would lead to madrid at times being complacent bvb playing the game of their lives..and they did. It was close for the last 60 minutes of the first leg and bvb blew them away for 90 minutes here. The tie would be nothing but close..and it was nothing but close.

What a night from bvb. For all their squad strength and eveything else, bayern can't provide this kind of entertainment. Bvb reminds me why I fell in love with football.

footyfan1 repped this.
  19. heynckes' hanging leftnut

Feb 27, 2013
    Cheers.

I was really impressed with Jojic. He showed calmness. As did weidenfeller; at an important time.

I thought the ref had his head in real madrid's boots for most of the night. The penalty was very harsh. It was slso harsh to ignore ramos' foul on lewandowski in the box minutes later. As well as the blatant yellow that would have sent off alonso for the professioal foul on mkhitaryan in the second half.

I hope the fans give lewandowski a big standing ovation after his last match. He has been awesome. He never stops playing in every match, makes the best decision on the field nearly every time and leads everyone in big matches. Probably the best striker bvb has ever had and probably the best striker i have seen in the last 25 years in the bundesliga. Bvb really screwed up the negotiations with this guy.

Mkhitaryan should be MkWON'Thitaryan after that show of shooting. I wish watzke saved 20 million of his transfer fee fee to use for shinji this summer. But anyway, if he stays i hope he takes it easy and develops on the field.

Thanks to all the bayern fans who are always here expressing support. Especially dhajj (....your membership application is in the mail...)

20. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exactly. Miki deserves chances to play as a #10 but he just doesn't have the skillset to play in the hole.

21. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Good job on the predictions.

He went from the frying pan to the fire and did a swell job. I think he deserves a few more 90 min chances.

Absolutely. If it had been reversed we'd be hearing incessantly how UEFA is against Madrid. UEFAlona and UEFAmund would be tha chants for the next month.

He seems to develop chemistry with at least one midfielder every year. Kagawa, Gotze, Reus and Kuba have all had a symbiotic relationship with him in the final 3rd. I wish him well at Bayern. It would be interesting to see him battle with Subotic next year.

I know Watzke said he was after a ready made player yet I think we should give him another year, not that we have a choice since mgmt. won't even consider peddling him this summer.

Fully agree with this. I hate their club but I do respect a lot of their fans. I very rarely hear their fans want to dominate football like the club mgmt. wants to.

22. heynckes' hanging leftnut

Feb 27, 2013
    I do think lewandowski was devious in the latter psrt of the negotiations wiht the club, but he deserves a standing ovation for what he has always shoen on the field and for hardly ever misleading the fans - he has almost always been true to his word as far as the fans go.

And i think the bayern fans in here had more faith in the team than you all ;) especislly bayern_fan and dhajj.

23. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lewandowski wanted more money and he frankly deserved it. If we had to give one player 7M or even 8M a year it would be him and we should have. That's just over a percentage point increase over our current wage budget. Somebody please show me where he wanted to leave Dortmund simply for the sake of leaving when Dortmund first approached him for an extension. I believe mgmt discriminated against him for not being German. Preposterous. If he did everything since to take revenge on the mgmt. then I'd have a hard time siding with our mgmt. Talented players are rare. Talented players who have at least a semblance of loyalty are needles in a haystack. In Italy the latter are treated like family jewels (except for Paolo Maldini).

24. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  25. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012