2013-14 Sporting Kansas City Offseason Thread (Now Comes with Spring Transfer Window!)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Dec 8, 2013.

1. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ji_shuheng

ji_shuheng Member+

Mar 26, 2003
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jough repped this.
  4. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Enriquez ain't got time for your already existing threads.

5. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Were Sporting to sign him, would he contend with Uri or Paolo for a spot?

6. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not specifically linked to SKC in that article, but if he came here I would hope he could contend for either dmid or box to box. We have more depth at dmid with Uri and Olumn than we do at box to box role, especially if HX is unavailable.

7. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I only mention Sporting as plausible since he was in serious talks with KC in the last window. I still think he is someone the ownership is looking at.

I like his pedigree and would like to see him in a box to box role. Problem is, I've grown to love Paolo and I don't really think I want to see either sitting around on the bench most of the time. I guess all this "who gets whose position" talk is silly, since it's entirely possible we might ship off any of the players in question.

8. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely think we need to pick up a solid keeper. Kronberg has put in his time but is still unproven and when you have a team good enough to win hardware, you cannot be taking that gamble. Kempin is hopefully our future but very rarely are keepers playing at a high level at that age. Many keepers do not even start peaking until close to 30 or in their 30s.

We need depth, depth, and more depth. If anyone that was a starter throughout the season that leaves needs replaced. I watched the MLS Cup last night and when looking at our available subs, I was thinking about how thin our bench is and with departures, it will get thinner.

I think Bunbury will be gone this offseason. Collin is obviously a risk. Zusi and Besler will likely have offers coming in during the winter window and each subsequent window so that is always a threat.

We still need to fix our scoring woes. With our stingy defense, we could have cakewalked our way to the SS and MLS Cup with just a tad bit more scoring. We are still missing that guy who can create chances and put the ball on frame regularly. Maybe Bieler can be that guy but that will definitely require some work put in during the offseason to figure out how to get that to work.

9. BigAl888

BigAl888 New Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    http://www.infovera.com.ar/2013/12/el-campeon-vuelve-al-club-de-sus-amores/

Interesting article regarding Claudio Bieler. I can't read Spanish too well, but google helped me out a bit. There were some parts I didn't quite understand, but after reading it through I think Claudio sounds like a great guy. First off he returned home and then is going to play in a charity match with his friends and people from around the town. He was humble about the fact that he was benched and stated that he's a professional and has to respect his coach. Sounds like the penalty shootout and winning it all made the struggle worth it. Can anybody with a better grasp on the original language provide a better analysis?

I think he wants to stay if he can play and he doesn't sound like someone who would step down from a challenge. If I had to guess, I would say he's back.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kyle Miller and Brendan Ruiz were waived today.

11. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I would take Eddie Johnson in a heartbeat. Perfect Vermes forward.

12. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As far as skill set, yes.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off the field, not so much

YilmazOrhan repped this.
  14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't even think on the field either. He doesn't have the defensive hustle or team mentality Peter wants. He's one of those forwards who wants to sit at the front line and be fed balls so he can try to score. Those forwards have their place, but that isn't a Vermes squad.

15. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What was Teal when he got here? What I meant by this is he has all the athletic abilities that PV likes in a forward. Knowing PV he can turn EJ into a more defensive forward that fits the system.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teal was 20 years old when he came to KC, Johnson turns 30 in March.

Something about an old dog and new tricks.

17. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We talking about the same Eddie Johnson?

18. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Benny certainly learned some new tricks....

19. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Except Teal was young and willing to learn. EJ seems... finalized.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Benny, for all his flaws, doesn't have the attitude Johnson has.

Oobers repped this.
  21. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yea I get it... Sure EJ has his problems on and off the field. He's not perfect but who is? Especially for this system. Benny came in and after time adjusted his game to fit us. Last year you don't see Benny sprinting towards goal every time he gets the ball or making 40 yard defensive runs.

Yea EJ needs Some work but if there's a manager in the league that can change him it's PV. With a little work with EJ we could have the 15-18 goal system fitting forward that we dream of.

22. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What attitude does he have? Is there anywhere it's been mentioned?

23. MuddyPitch

MuddyPitch Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sme people mature at later ages, and you could say that Collin, Benny and Eddie all have their detractors about things on the pitch at least. The only way I see EJ here is if he comes hat in hand and buys in after learning a few things. Kind of feels like Vermes had to break Benny with regards to conditioning, at least, and then his strengths found a venue to shine through. Is EJ that self aware, or beyond redemption? I listened to his brief reflection on his USOC PK miss in Overlap magazine, and he seemed more rational than I would have expected given how he is portrayed.

24. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm having flashbacks. 2007: The year Eddie Johnson was offside.

25. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sparks27, I believe you are not seeing what everyone else sees. Eddie Johnson is a headcase. Always has been. Has his moments of brilliance, and many more lengthy periods of frustrating ineffectiveness.

At least three "attitude" displays that I can think of -- the whole original GAM answer, the pointing to his name after he scored in Dallas after a lengthy absence from the USMNT, and the "pay me" brouhaha last season. There are others. He has flamed out of one club after another over the course of his career.

He is most assuredly NOT a "perfect Vermes forward", and I absolutely do not want him back in Kansas City.

KC96, vividox, MuddyPitch and 2 others repped this.