2013-14 Sporting Kansas City Offseason Thread (Now Comes with Spring Transfer Window!)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Just hopefully not Collin. Love the guy, but I don't think his shiny head is level enough to put him in armband consideration. Zusi or Besler seems more likely, especially as both have recently strongly committed to the team again. I would guess Bes, just based on what I know of Vermes.

2. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  3. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Collin would be a captain from the Davy Arnaud "I'm going to continuously yell at you, ref, just because I CAN!" mold. Except in French.

This would be pretty damn funny to watch, but not particularly wise.

4. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supercollider. "God" particle. Zeus. Never mind.

5. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

6. MuddyPitch

MuddyPitch Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi and Besler are almost too quiet, leading by example mostly, and potentially gone for much of the year next year. Although Jimmy did plant a pretty big kiss on Besler's mouth in the locker room and maybe that's the passing of the torch.

socjoc repped this.
  7. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zusi has never seemed like the captain type to me. Some of us thought that Besler might get the job before the 2012 season, when Nielsen took over, so he could very well be in the running. I wonder if the armband would be an incentive for Nagamura to re-sign at a slight discount, or for Bieler to stick around willingly and step up his game.

Regarding the goalkeeper position--as I noted in another thread, Gruenebaum is out of contract with Columbus, so maybe we can bring another local product home.

8. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? Jerome seemed pretty solid when Myers was hurt, and Bessone was in the 18 over him--and Gardner, which I suppose is not saying much--for the Eastern Conference and MLS Cup finals. I think that midfield depth is a more pressing need.

9. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No
    Not enough data
    Crap no, no, no
    Probably. But we need an upgrade in FB depth as well.

vividox repped this.
  10. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #ThankYouJimmy

[​IMG]

11. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    My opinion is that the new captain will absolutely 100% be Besler. Signs of this, in order:

1) Vermes, after the 3-1 New England playoff win, on Besler.
    "He (Besler) did something at halftime that I won't speak about which was fantastic, but he was good in a lot of other ways just outside of being good in the game and he led very well coming into this game. That's a huge step for him and this team because we need his leadership and the way that he sort of took charge over the team these last few days. And that's a big thing and a big reason we got the result we got today. So I'm very happy for him and for the team because we need field generals on the field and he's starting to come into his own and it's in a very quiet way."

2) The last person to wear the armband this year when Jimmy was not playing was....Matt Besler, in the CCL group finale. (Note that Matt did not play in any of the other 3 CCL games). This means Matt is the first choice of the Starting XI there, which included Zusi, Collin, Sinovic, Meyers, and any others mentioned in this thread.

3) Matt is now one of the longest tenured players at SKC, having completed 5 full seasons. He is also on contract for 3 more years.

4) Matt has the in game stature (both within MLS and USMNT) for the role.

5) Matt keeps the armband in the Defensive end, so not much change from SKC success under Jimmy.

* Side note, since Matt is a KC native - this is a nice, perfect, storybook fit, perfect for Marketing. I don't think it has any influence on the decision though.

Also conjecture from #1: Vermes was grooming Matt to be the next captain, since the odds were considerable that Jimmy would leave (well, it's guaranteed Jimmy would leave someday, just a matter of when. Now we know)

BEST WISHES JIMMY AND FAMILY! You were an inspiration both on and off the field.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree, Jerome showed quite well filling in for Myers.

As for GK, one name not mentioned, local product, Gruenebaum, played for the Crew, is out of contract with them and they look set to stick with Lampson. At least bring him in to battle Kronberg for the starting spot. I'm just not convinced Kronberg is the long term solution.

13. Oobers

Oobers Member+

Oct 17, 2011
    Boise
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Is Kempin not an option? Obviously coaches have seen more of him than we have. I know he's young but gotta start somewhere...

14. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yes. This. Gruenebaum can be an amazing keeper.

I'd also be happy with now ex-Sounder, Gspurning. In 2012 his per game stats were pretty much a clone of Jimmy's (although only playing 2/3rd the season due to injury)

15. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are lots of good goal keepers out there waiting for their shot to play on a regular basis, so I would not be surprised if SKC passed on all of the ones in the reentry draft.
    Sean Franklin got my attention though... while he is a bit injury prone, he is a solid defender that would make another good addition to the back line depth.
    As for help with attacking options...I don't see any relief in the list. Cooper doesn't impress me, Espindola and Ferreira both have good qualities, but are not any better than what SKC currently has. Steve Zakuani is interesting, out of contract and still not signed by Seattle...I wonder if the horrible injury he suffered last season is too much for him to come back to full form.

16. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Unless we were paying attention to Orlando City last year. He did alright. We should find a bunch of OCSC and find out their detailed thoughts on him.

17. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for backing me up on this. I honestly thought that I was expressing a consensus opinion.
    Just for the record, I actually did mention him as a candidate a few posts up, as well as in another thread. Seems to make sense.

18. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Ah, just one step too many for my train of thought to hitch a ride on.

19. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I thought Jerome was a serviceable backup. Also thought Ellis was as well. I don't think we're hurting in the defender department.

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is, but I think they're probably wanting a "stop gap" between before giving to Kempin.

Oobers repped this.
  21. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Maybe I watch the Sounders too much, but I'd have no issues if Gspurning gets a look from SKC, if he is willing to take a pay cut. The guy has had a good run in MLS. As for the goals that got past him late in 2013 in the matches against Colorado and Vancouver, I'd only pin one on him. The others were 1:1's or questionable markings on corners. Our d-backs are way better than Seattle.

22. MuddyPitch

MuddyPitch Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Liberty
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they get a mature, healthy, fit GK, someone with a track record of being not prone to getting tweaks, then maybe you let Kronberg go and let Kempin cut his teeth on the USOC games, assuming Kempin has closed the gap with Kronberg. We seem to use the USOC as more of developmental competition anyway. I'm still a bit baffled by the ludicrous display against Orlando.

I forgot about Ellis. I'd love to see him back.

23. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Qdog, jtreg and vividox repped this.
  24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002