2013-14 Sporting Kansas City Offseason Thread (Now Comes with Spring Transfer Window!)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This is not a loan, correct?

2. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, Andy Edwards tweeted that Toni's deal is a permanent transfer, not a loan. The #9 jersey did not go unclaimed for very long.

3. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very bold choice for a number, but the #9 was one of the lone "low" numbers available.

4. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sources saying that he will occupy the 5th of 8 international roster spots. Beiler, Uri, Medranda, Toni for sure ... I thought both Jerome and P Joseph (both Hatian) would use international spots making it 6 ... wonder if the status on one of those two has changed (or if Joseph has been put on IR and we just haven't seen that officially announced).

5. Hexenmeister

Hexenmeister Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Kearney, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Dang, you guys gotta be more specific. First couple of posts and all I see is we signed "Toni" and he's going to wear number 9. I started to get really excited.

Oh well, so who's the Spanish Toni going to replace?

6. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Probably just wingback/winger depth for now. I'd imagine he's going to take some time to get "sporting fit" before he actually replaces anyone.

7. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Figured we wouldn't repost things we only know from the Sporting website. Probably not replacing anyone since we only have 29 of 30 roster spots filled (with 2 players drafted still around but unsigned).

Like vividox said ... depth for the left side (LB and LW).

I wonder what this means for a player like Soony. Presumably our RW/LW options are Zusi, Sapong, Zizzo, Toni, Peterson, Saad (not in that order in MY opinion). Does Soony get some time in OKC or ORL? You're not sending Peterson there because it's not like he needs games to develop. Seems like Zizzo and Sapong are ahead of Saad and this Toni player has a chance to be as well (not assuming so, but it might be safe to do so). Does that mean Soony may get sent down? I'm trying to figure out who does go on loan and when (Vermes said he'd know in 2 weeks ... that was 3+ weeks ago I believe).

Everyone is assuming Kempin to Oklahoma City (for good reason). I'm guessing Duke and Ellis to Orlando. I think Lopez in Oklahoma City is also a possibility. IF either of the two draft picks are signed as player #30 (or 31 if P Joseph is on the IF) then they are options too. I think E-PB stays in KC due to high school commitments and most other players are too vital to send down. Soony is an interesting option IMO though.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joseph takes an international spot, Jerome does not.

9. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Never understood Saad's fall from favor last year. I thought he was really getting somewhere when suddenly he stopped making the lineup. Him being sent to OKC or OCSC would be a really bad deal for him. Maybe he'll move towards midfield depth? I think he could be a very solid replacement in the midfield for Benny should the need arise. But then, no one asks me.

Been trying to find info on Toni. He's a little guy, I see. Fast? Tricky? I strongly suspect he'll be pushing for the winger spot instead of the fullback one.

10. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I agree with Soony being sent down as a bad deal ... given how he's younger than Dwyer was and would presumably get the time and potentially come back and battle for a spot near the end of the season and playoffs similar to Dwyer. I'm with you though, I rate him higher than Sapong and Peterson for sure on the wing ... and don't know enough about Zizzo and Toni to say where they fall. Very strange.

11. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks!

12. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Less a bad deal than the fact that he already broke through on the professional stage and through no slump of his own fell out of favor. That's a rough reason to end up in the third division. Guys like Dwyer last year hadn't ever made any sort of impact at the top level. That's why it seems rough to me.

Blando13 repped this.
  13. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you guys getting worked up over a demotion to Saad that hasn't happened?

AndyMead repped this.
  14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    There is no worked up, and this is all of course hypothetical. Really, I'm only a little bit sore about how Saad vanished late in the season when he looked like he was really starting to break out a bit. My memory is probably sorta fuzzy, but I don't recall that really being his fault.

15. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, no "worked up", just speculation about who will be sent down, what the wing depth chart looks like with the new addition.

I actually hope we see more of Zusi in the midfield next to Benny and in front of Uri, providing more options at wing for Toni, Zizzo, & Saad.

16. KopRules

KopRules Member+

May 31, 2011
    Beautiful South KC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So, do we know if Dovale is left-footed?

17. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He is.

I would have agreed about putting Zusi in the midfield last year, but the more I've seen of him on the right wing, the more I think that's his ideal position right now. Plus it gives Benny run of the midfield, which would put Sporting at its strongest. Not sure what I feel about the left wing, though, as between all these possible guys we don't have anything like a clear frontrunner.

18. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Zusi is a great RW ... just wanted to get some more technical attackers out there than what Nagamura brings to the midfield. Don't question his Bite/Work Rate, that sort of thing but I'm a fan of ball on the ground/technical attacking soccer and would love to see Benny pushed back into that box to box role next to Uri after seeing him play that role in Seattle (and I didn't think I'd be saying that). What about this (only because we saw a bit of it in preseason) ...

Dom
    LW Beiler Zusi
    Benny-Uri
    SS - Besler-Collin-Myers

Like you, not positive who the best LW option is in that formation but it would likely be Zizzo/Toni/Saad if you're trying for possession and attacking through the midfield on the ground.

I can see this more when chasing a game, but I hope we see it more no matter what.

19. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I do actually like that setup, but it's a very forward-minded midfield. Neither Benny nor Uri have tremendous bite defensively, and so they're either gonna have to be totally a-game and up for defending, or the back line will have a tough tough day.

Funny how Vermes is all about tough, hard workers and all that... and his last few big signings have been poacher Bieler, attacking mid Benny, and little winger Toni. Now, the first two have shown a great willingness to adapt to Peter's style, but I find it intriguing that these are the kind of players they're going after. Slow going for him, but it looks like he's trying to change the team to something cleverer and better on the ground. Moving in that direction worked very well last year--let's see what it does this year.

I'm mildly optimistic.

20. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Zizzo was right sided.

21. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having a real left sided winger will be amazing for us. We had it in Convey for a period (when he felt like playing) and the ability to swap Convey/Kamara at the time was very useful. I suspect we will see Toni link up with Sinovic more than we have seen in the past and be a bit more like what Myers/Kamara had (when I ran the statistics at one point in mid-2012 they easily had the most passes between them of any two person combination).

We'll be able to get some better natural width on both sides of the field and open up play for our center 3 to operate... and then we'll be able to swap the two wingers and give the outside defenders something completely different to think about.

Now, I will say that I totally crush on Zusi so keep that in mind, but I love how he sees the field. He makes really good runs off the ball both to free himself and to open space up for teammates. He reads the defense very well and he has answers to break them down. What's even better is that Feilhaber has shown the ability to do this as well and when both Zusi and Feilhaber are operating in the same space I think the combine well. The goal v. Houston which was Zusi-Feilhaber-Dom had some of that... Zusi vacates the center of the Houston midfield by taking the ball right by Feilhaber and then giving it to him in space where Feilhaber is now past Houston's 2nd line of defense.

I never expected to be putting Feilhaber in the Espinoza/Nagamura role, but I agree with those who thought that Saturday was a great day for him and I think he can definitely pull that off now. Having a midfield of Zusi-Feilhaber-Uri is almost scary in its vision and passing ability. Combine that with the space that will be created by having wingers on the touch lines and fullbacks which can overlap...

Basically - I have have been of the opinion that the one position we could most benefit from was LW for over a year now. I was really hoping that Convey would pull his shit together and be the man and was quite disappointed when it was apparent he was not. Suffice to say that I'm quite excited to see what this guy can do for us and am desperately hoping he pans out. Unfortunately, I also consider that it takes like 5 months to get used to SKC by itself and a few months just to convert to MLS, so I kinda fear that we won't really see his potential until the end of the season or even next year... but there's always the hope that he's a quick study and already in Sporting Fit shape.

Blando13 repped this.
  22. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Probably because it's easier to turn a proven poacher or proven attacking mid into a tough, hard worker, than the other way around.... And like you hinted at, so far it seems to be working with Bieler and with Benny.

23. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes ... I think if Zizzo is in, Zusi is moved. Most of our wingers need/should be versital enough to play the LW ... especially since Toni is the only "natrual" left sided attacker.

24. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also ... I'm pretty sure the "shots, shots, shots, shots" with very few "finishes" from everyone on the team lead Vermes to determine exactly what you said ... you can make guys hustle easier than you can teach them to finish.

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I looked up the stats last year. But Kansas City was way out ahead of everyone else in shots in league history. I can't recall where our shots on goal stat was (no more than even with the other top teams) and our goals is well behind some other teams.

Better accuracy or shot selection and we might have a couple more stars by now.

Blando13 repped this.