2012 Waiver Draft and Re-Entry Draft Discussion

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by tonhtubra, Nov 19, 2012.

1. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't our only means to get the person though. We need a 4th and 5th CB at this point too. The superdraft would most likely give us one of those people, but this could be a good way to get someone with experience to be 3rd or 4th on depth chart. Keel could fit that role perhaps.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure he can. He's passed up the other team's first shot at him at his current option, so now they get a shot at him at a lower number? Not sure if that would work if a team would want him on his original option year.

Unfortunately the posted rules don't address this possibility, though in 3 years now nobody has pulled their name from Phase 1 but put it in Phase 2.

Unrelated, but for former Rapid defenders in the draft, Dan Gargan is available. :D

3. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keel is from NYRB, correct? Came up in their academy?

4. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite. Here's his MLS player profile. Notice the following

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, he's one of ours. Raised in Littleton, went to Wake Forest, signed a developmental contract with us, then we waived him and he went to the USL Timbers before ending up in NY.

6. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's on the right side of 30... until April.

7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Smith will be offered a youth coaching spot if no one picks him in stage 2. We must get younger so I am glad they didn't bring him back.

8. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just looked at the list; we have WAY more players available to other teams than any other team. By far.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, other than Casey, I don't see anyone on the list I mind being there. Maybe Smith but I doubt he's interested in coming back for the money I'd be willing to pay him.

10. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    We don't know what Freeman was asking for, but otherwise it's a bit disappointing to see him on the list since he was one of the few effective crossers in 2012 and there isn't much fullback depth.

Though given he hit the doghouse, it's not surprising to me that he won't be back.

11. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to read too much into that though. Last year we only had one person in the re-entry draft, DC United had 9. When it comes to players released or moved out so far, Toronto and NY actually tops us with 12, (we have 11, but Wynne hopefully will actually make it 10). The fact that we have 8 guys in re-entry draft just means we are the ones releasing the most guys who qualify for re-entry.

Sources: 2011 MLS Re-Entry Draft, MLS Transactions 2013

12. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure the list makes much difference, at least I won't know until other players are brought in.

Individually I don't have much complaint about the list Wynne might be an exception, I'd accept his salary. Casey would be an exception if I thought the team would play to his strengths.

I do feel that the Rapids need to exercise some caution in all this. MLS roster restrictions mean rosters do not have room for 11 stars. There's room for a few stars and many journeymen.

Journeymen are hard to value, but they are extremely important to the success and character of a team. When thinking of journeymen that you keep I always think of Ritchie Kotschau. He was an MLS lifer with no great likelihood of national team call ups or a European transfer, even so he was a solid player that didn't weaken the team and created the salary cap space for players who should have helped. It's too easy to say, "we can do better." They're journeymen by definition we can, "do better," but that comes at a cost to team stability and constrained financials.

The team's journeymen get a lot of the blame for last season, but the real blame to me is with the guys who are supposed to be stars. The team needs to do better at forward, in midfield, and in the back, but in doing better I suspect we'll see a shuffling of journeymen. Getting those guys to fit in and work well might be a better test of management then how they handle the stars.

GreatGonzo and tonhtubra repped this.
  13. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot you make a very great statement. This is one reason why I am a bit concerned about us releasing so many guys. I wonder just where Bravo is hoping to bring in players to replace all of these bodies. They make it sound like they will all be international or draft picks. We can't do that though with the limited number of international slots. We are going to have to find players from within MLS. Is the re-entry draft a great place to find those people? Maybe not great, but it could be a good place to at least have a chance to get some. (As long as they would agree to contract we would offer otherwise selecting them is a moot point.)

14. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind seeing Colin Clark brought back but don't see anyone who would be instant upgrade that's left for stage 2.

15. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has he regained any of his pre-knee injury pace?

I like Clark but I'm not sure the Rapids "system" is gonna fit him very well.

16. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hunter freeman tweeted that he is gone so I guess we won't be resigning him. I'm hoping the resigning announcement expected today is Wynne. I have no idea who the trade expected to be announced today involved.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Smith and Freeman didn't pull their names from the draft we can be fairly sure the re-signing announcement isn't them. So its either Wynne or possibly Rivero (as a Rapids player, not on loan).

18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Wow, they do need a lot of bodies, huh? Not counting Wynne yet, do the Rapids have just 18 on the roster right now? And only 4 defenders: Moor, Wallace, Klute, and Armstrong (assuming he's sticking with rightback)?

19. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    With O'neill slated as a defender for the U-20's what are the odds he slides back and provides depth on the back line this year?

20. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darn. This is kind of what I'm talking about above. I'm not that much of a Freeman fan, and I think we can do better, but now this means the team needs to spend time and resources on filling a position with someone that will likely be around the same dollar amount and talent level. Then Pareja has to integrate one more player into the team.

I'd rather those efforts be focused elsewhere.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that they still haven't officially announced Thomas' re-signing. Maybe they are finally wrapping up the paperwork on that one.

22. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    Seems to me that at a salary of $110K, maybe contracted to rise in 2013, that Freeman was a bit overpaid for his talent level.

23. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seriously wonder though if Freeman actually wanted to come back. He was in and out of the dog house and never really seemed settled/happy while he was here. Maybe there was no amount that was going to keep him here.

24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semantics maybe but wouldn't Rivero be termed as a Transfer agreement and not "signing".

25. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a losing season like 2012 they're all overpaid.

The sudden lack of fullbacks on the team makes me wonder if the demands of the position are grounded in reality.