2012 Waiver Draft and Re-Entry Draft Discussion

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by tonhtubra, Nov 19, 2012.

1. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I aint going anywhere old man :)

jayd8888 repped this.
  2. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In most cultures the aged are revered for their experiences and their wisdom. However, your accurate reference to my age was likely your feeble attempt to denigrate me. I understand your type & your intellect, you may have the last word!

3. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny Califf is available tomorrow; thoughts? He's more CB than outside back, correct?

4. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO

I seem to remember s stretch where he was beaten pretty badly a few weeks in a row, after that I can honestly say my radar is broken on him. My feelings about the re-entry draft are that it’s a list of players that their individual teams overpaid and you can have them if you continue to overpay that player. Then I imagine this fact about any player that comes up and it takes some of the luster that player may have had in my mind because of the realities of the cap. My hunch is that the negative effects of a bad contract on a locker room are overblown but I imagine they exist in jealous corners.

5. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    You're better than this Marx.

6. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's only Phase 1. At Phase 2 (tomorrow) you can have them for whatever price you negotiate, as long as its a legitimate offer.

COMtnGuy and jayd8888 repped this.
  8. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right!

Califf is a very good MLS CB who has been a soccer gypsy moving to 6 clubs since 2000. Briefly, he was Philadelphia Union captain & yet traded following well publicised trouble with coaches or management. Although I have no personal knowledge regarding his club interactions, with his history, I believe it is not unfair to wonder if Cariff is a locker room, coaching &/or management pariah.

9. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So was Nowak...

10. WJMarx

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was merely re-publishing one of crazyjon85's posts. But, you are right & I should have eschewed the controversy.

11. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Assuming Wynne is resigned would Califf be happy as a back up to Moor and Wynne?

12. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. I expected an overhaul of the lineup, but my goodness.

I wonder how many different positions Moor can play at the same time?

"Drew, you're playing on the left and right tonight and covering in the middle."
    "Sounds goo....wait, WHAT!"

13. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Oh yes, thank you. Then I have to imagine the 2nd phase as a good place to land journeymen plug-ins.

14. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    :ROFLMAO:

15. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, maybe Moor moves outside and Califf goes inside with Wynne?

16. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Wynne isn't on the official list of players in stage 2 of the re-entry draft. Great news, I assume that means he's been signed.

17. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is if you take Califf, and if he accepts the contract you offer. I think it might be worth it to grab him just to get first crack at him, but if he isn't willing to sign for what we offer then it would be a waste. Hopefully that is part of what the team is working on now is contacting potential targets and making sure that they are at least in the same ballpark contract wise before they think about picking them in re-entry draft.

18. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope it just means he took himself off the list before last week. We have the rights to him and aren't forced to sign him by any particular date.

Jasonma repped this.
  19. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I hope his doesn't happen. I don't think Moor helps much at fullback. He's on the slow side for a centerback.

21. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Didn't he opt out of the re-entry draft completely? Either he signs with the Rapids, the Rapids trade his rights to another MLS team, or he signs with another league when their transfer windows open.

22. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the talk about Califf, Stephen Keel is still on that list too. I think I would take him before Califf. Probably would be cheaper.

Now that we only have two fullback on the roster (3 if you count Armstrong), are there any on that list worth considering?

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. The fact that he opted out last week though is generally a good sign that he felt he was close to signing (or he's bailing to another league but we haven't heard anything about that).

24. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I was under the impression that he could still participate in the stage 2 draft if a deal with the Rapids didn't come together this week.

25. commercecity

commercecity Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Commerce City, CO
    Califf would be of no more use than Marshall. We need an upgrade, a bona fide starter.