2012 UNC Tarheels

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Soccerhunter, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I'm one fan who is once again fathoming AD's practice of waiting until mid May to announce the recruiting class. (Groan!) While many schools announce on singing day (Sanford, Texas, etc.), others, like UNC, adopt the "let's wait until we are totally sure that there won't be another walk-on." It sure is torture waiting and waiting....

So what is the big disadvantage of announcing what you've got, and then, if someone else comes along late in the game (transfers etc.), making that announcement separately?

PS. Some nice photos of signing day on TDS of Parker, Haeberlin, & Harris, with notes that Linquist has signed, Horan is in the Rush signing photo, and we know Cowie is already on campus.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    While you could send out a release for transfers, etc, the NCAA only allows one press conference per class. (art. 13.10.9.2). Further, the institution can't even discuss prospective players at any celebratory function before they sign. So if you want the biggest exposure for all players, you wait until the class is complete. Thats probably more important at a place where reporters will actually show up for a press conference about Women's soccer. In the revenue sport the number of scholarship players is settled earlier, generally, because there is no scholarship sharing.

Also, most media sports departments are concerned with football and basketball recruits right now, and soccer just gets lost in the shuffle. Even just a press release might not make it to hard copy print. SID's might wait until things in the revenue sports quiet down.

Some athletic departments are also naturally more cautious, also, and will wait until all recruits have cleared all the academic committees, all the LOI's have cleared the NCAA, etc.

With Anson, it seems like good strategy. It keeps you wondering and writing about it....

3. richmondD15

richmondD15 Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    It's on Bartok's bio page that she is an undergraduate coach for one more year.

4. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    I hope one of these 2012 recruits can score or pass.

Last year team was the weakest scoring team and one of the worse if not worst passing team to ever step on fetzer field.

Hopefully Anson can find another Klingenberg.

5. Focker

Focker Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Meghan Klingenberg is a special player. Those don't come around often.

6. Heeldoc

Heeldoc Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Some pathetic so-called "Tarheel fans" on this post. Whining State fans maybe.

7. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    HeelDoc, there are all varieties on here - there are the long-time loyalists, rosey optimists, analysts, fairweather fans, newbies, trolls, and lowly saboteurs posing as fans. I don't mind the critics and the trolls, but I hate the phonies who are here just to spoil our fun. I don't believe in blind praise, but I know the difference between a thoughtful, insightful follower and sour grapes detractors whose kids didn't get recruited, or haters from other teams' fan bases who think it's fun to criticize our players and coaches under the guise of some concocted online identity. You know they're out there! I want to be welcoming to all posters, but there's a point at which you can wear out that welcome. It may be a free world to express angst, ridicule and disgust, but don't miss the point of what a "fan thread" is meant to be. Find something that makes you happy and create a thread where people who go there can actually enjoy your posts.

8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some posters go beyond what you have described. They realize that potential recruits and their families and others frequent BigSoccer. They have a team whose well they want to poison, either because they hate the team or because their favorite team is competing for the same pool of recruits. They intentionally insert negativity into their hated team's "fan thread" in order to hurt that team's recruiting. They're shameless, cowardly lowlifes who don't have the decency to identify who they really are. Sorry you all have to deal with it, as I know that the Tarheels have absorbed a lot of abuse over the years, but you're not alone. It's one of the negative aspects of the internet that I hope people recognize for what it is -- and call out now and then as you did.:mad:

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It happens here on the UNC thread and there's a guy like that in the Portland thread, too. I hope that players & parents are smart enough to figure out that there are people that post like you've just described. Both schools are good schools and both soccer programs are great programs.

10. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Darcy McFarlane (Kelly's sister?) now committed in 2013. Megan Buckingham of Michigan Is first commit listed by topdrawersoccer.com to our 2014 class.

11. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Definitely Kelly's sister. Also plays for the same position for the same club and is on the Nor Cal ODP team just like Kelly. However, from looking at the videos, Darcy seems to have a bit better ball skills than her older sister and is a little more naturally aggressive. In my mind, apparently wanted to come to UNC to follow her sister's footsteps. They'll over lap one year. This also speaks to the fact that Kelly must be having a good experience at Carolina.

Megan Buckingham has been attending some U-15 NYT camps and is doing well. Should be a solid recruit.

12. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
  13. Steven131

Steven131 New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I got a photo of Jenny Chiu.

14. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    That's great, Steven! Enjoy.

Would you possibly want to share it with us?;)

15. Steven131

Steven131 New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I do not know how to post it.
    Let me have your e-mail address.
    I'll send it to you in an e-mail, an attachment, and you can post it.
    Will that be okay ?

16. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Steven,

I'm not a computer expert.... (and believe me, I am almost a complete Luddite when it comes to modern technology. My son alternately laughs at me or shakes is head in complete disbelief when I demonstrate incredibly astounding computer ineptitude.)

Here's what I do to post a photo. I get it pulled up on screen so I can see the photo myself, then I highlight and "copy" (control C) the entire address bar (starting with "http://.....) at the top of the screen. Then I go into Big Soccer and start a reply to introduce the photo and "paste" (control V) the copied address into my message.

This usually works... Others can click on the address in my message and see the photo for themselves. (For reasons I do not understand, sometimes this does not work.) Good luck.:)

17. Steven131

Steven131 New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The photo is on my desk top of the computer.
    It does not have a address bar " http://......"
    But I know I can attach it to an e-mail as an attachment.

I tried to copy and paste the photo to the message but it did not work. I guess it does not take photos, only messages.

18. soccershins

soccershins Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    FC Porto
    With pick ups like Lindsey Horan, I really think UNC has a pretty argument for being on top of this list.

19. Focker

Focker Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Anyone know how Kealia, Lindsey, Bryane and Crystal are doing for U20 team?

I'll ive gotten is that Horan has scored 4 goals in two games.

20. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    I saw where all 4 Tar Heels started against Switzerland. Between Horan and Ohai they scored 5 goals. Crystal played defense and of course Bryane in goal have shut out Switzerland and Germany. a couple of them only played a few minutes vs Germany, Norway will be tough they tied Germany 1-1. Don't know if all four will start against Norway on Monday. There are still a couple of cuts to make.

21. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    UNC Twitter posts that US U-20s won La Manga, Spain tourney; USSoccer just posted info on first two games. Better late than never. Who has details of Norway match?

22. South American

Aug 3, 2008

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Both goals in the first three minutes by Ohai and Ubogagu.

Translation of Norge FA report in this thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1888903

24. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    For those of Tarheel fans who haven't noticed, we got a great pick-up on a 2014 commit. Megan Buckingham is a talented forward from Michigan who has been a regular at the U-15 camps. We're off to a good start on that class.

For the 2013s, if possible I'd love to see us land Margaret Purce. We may be all out of scholarships, but she'd be a great addition to our midfield.

25. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I'm absolutely thrilled that Kealia is having such a great tournament with three goals. She had such a frustrating season last year and deserves some success given her relentless work rate.

Thanks for digging out the story, Cliveworshipper!:)