2012 UNC Tarheels

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Soccerhunter, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Well, it's only a risk if you're giving the player scholarship money. I would be surprised if she's getting any from UNC.

2. soccerfriend

soccerfriend New Member

Jan 17, 2012
    I saw Danae in action this summer for the NJ Wildcats W-League team. As a 16 year old she was top level. She is a dynamic wide midfielder. Heather O'Rielly, Tobin Heath, and Carli Lloyd all also played for NJ Wildcats. I see her listed as one of the 2012 team captains. This is another NJ kid heading south from the Cats.

3. Rohbino

Rohbino Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't go back through the thread so I don't know if there are any videos up of Indi Cowie freestyling. The one below is when she was 15. Hopefully her success as a freestyler will translate well to success on the pitch. She makes all of this look so easy. Amazing stuff!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwfNsAB2LEg"]INDI COWIE - YouTube[/ame]

4. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I bet (hope) Cowie won't be using an iconic feature of the NCSU campus as a backdrop for too many more of her freestyle videos! I hope I won't have to watch her stomping multi-360s in front of the Duke Chapel either!

Glad to have her on the team! Her sense of fun and her passion for the game will be a real asset to the squad. My understanding is that she didn't really get into freestyling until she was a teen. What an awesome athlete! On the other hand, she has been playing soccer since she was four? Maybe she knows some stuff? I have not actually seen her position listed, or seen much info on her as a field player. Anyone know her resume and where she likes (hopes) to play?

5. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    There are a series of Indi Cowie videos, interviews, etc. Subsequent to the one you post above, she has worked to master even more freestyle moves evidenced by recent videos. Arguably, she is the #1 woman freestyler in the world.

The raging debate (for 50 years or more) has always been whether such skills indeed do translate into playing high level soccer. Indi may be a real test case at Carolina in that she states that she is determined to play on the team.

One argument is that a top freestyler simply makes a choice that her/his career focus simply goes to what brings the most accolades, fame, and money. In other words, where is the passion? I'm sure that Indi knows that her freestyle skills could be parlayed into a far more lucrative career than women's professional soccer could provide. To the degree that she rests on that notion in her head (so goes the argument) she will be less of a field soccer player than she could be.

Then there is the argument that the personality of the freestyler is simply unsuited to the team player. The personal focus of the freestyle artist is simply not compatible with the team focus necessary for field soccer success at a high level.

Another argument is that freestyle skills have evolved far away from those useful in the field game. It used to be that "juggling" skills were assumed to be an important part of the game. However, modern "wow" tricks of the freestyler are useless in the field game. If that is how one's training is focused, then one is practicing useless habits for field soccer that are counter productive. However, if a freestyler turned her finely tuned concentration and skills toward practicing moves that would be useful on the field (which involve beating an opponent and advancing the ball to a teammate or into the goal), she could be great. (See the many videos of the high level men's game focusing on 1v1 moves in a professional match.)

I think that we all will be watching what Indi does these next years. Performing individually or as part of a team will be the key. In any case I wish her well.

6. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Has anyone seen Lindsey Horan play?

Ive heard starter from day 1 and bigtime impact.

7. worthyofbeing1

Oct 23, 2011
    She will be the starting center forward at UNC until she leaves. Best recruit UNC has landed since Lindsey Tarpley and Heather Oreilly. She is a very tall attacking forward. No offense to Courtney Jones but Lindsey is so much better than her. Then again I thought Kealia Ohai was going be a awesome player and game changer. I have yet to see it. She isnt much better than Alyssa Rich and does pretty much same stuff. I think the fans will love Reilly Parker a lot. She's fun to watch. The 2012 class has some players that can push some starters to the bench.

8. Newfor2010

Newfor2010 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Club:
    Asker FK
    Not sure broad statements that she is the "best recruit" since Tarpley or Oreilly can be made at this time. Not to mentioned all those that have been there since then (which others can name even more accurately than I can), but there still a unique player on that team who has already proven herself and has been called upon in the last 2 years to play every position but goalie. Something that isn't asked of many at the college level.

9. footie4life

footie4life Member

May 24, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Never mind can.....they will.... from day one.

10. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Don't know why Big Soccer lumped these URLs all together so let's try a few separately. See if this works.....

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/canadasoccer/6534264439/in/set-72157627567081709"]20111216_2384_byMexsport | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/canadasoccer/6534264439/in/set-72157627567081709"]20111216_2384_byMexsport | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

11. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Dang. Big Soccer will not cooperate! Let's try again with only one url. See if this works!

12. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
  13. worthyofbeing1

Oct 23, 2011
    Sounds like players with USA / Mexico ties are starting pick Mexico.

She was playing for USA national team.

14. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    She still hasn't committed to a full national side . . .

15. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    For any UNC fan, here is the spring schedule in case you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.tarheelblue.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/012612aaa.html

All four dates are relatively local for a change. I've enjoyed going over to the ACC round robin in Winston for the last 3 years and plan on doing it again. The Florida date also is very attractive.

16. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Which ACC teams participate in the Spring Tournament each year? I think that's pretty cool they do that, haven't heard of schools in other conferences doing anything similar. Obviously it would be easy for the NC schools (Duke, UNC, NCSU, Wake) to get together, and VT, UVA and Clemson aren't too far either.

17. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Not all ACC teams make it each year, but in the last several years Duke, Carolina, Wake, NC State, Virginia, Miami, Clemson, and Va Tech have been there. (I can't remember seeing FSU or BC and I'm not sure about MD.)

It really is an interesting day as each team plays three shortened games and the coaches get to try out all sorts of personnel. It was two years ago when I first saw Megan Brigman in the back, and said to myself, "Wow, this could really work. Smart move."

18. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Can anyone confirm if Brittani Bartok will be playing this next season, or will she remain as a coach or will she graduate and move on?

(I hope that she sticks around as she's been absolutely terrific as a videographer and general all-round supporter of the Tarheels. I think that she's provided a huge service for morale and for the public image of the team and program.)

19. Lorrie Fair

Lorrie Fair Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Did that Lindsey Horan girl sign today?

Talk about her skipping college all together. Ive heard she doesnt like school.

20. worthyofbeing1

Oct 23, 2011
    I have heard the same. She wants the fastest ticket to WNT.

21. NovNewbie

NovNewbie New Member

Nov 20, 2011
  22. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Then she best try college. There ain't no WPS, if you've not heard. :(.

Just as a thought, do we really want to be starting rumors about people's academic motivation before they even join the program? When she gives an interview on the record, I say pile on. Until then, I say welcome to CH, and I hope she has a very happy and successful four years, on and off the pitch.

23. Heeldoc

Heeldoc Member

Oct 9, 2011
    God, Lorrie Fair, are you a State fan? Please!

Why would Tarheel fans pass on rumors about a player's attitude towards school? Lots of bright high school seniors are sick of school. Doesn't mean it will last. How about some positive vibes? She's a terrific talent,--and will be even if she struggles as so many freshman athletes do. And why pile on any of these kids? I think this is shaping up to be a terrific year.

Beat Duke!

24. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta