2012 UNC Tarheels

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Soccerhunter, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks for the good info Heeldoc. I've made it over to this event for the last three years, but was wiped out with too much I had to get done on Saturday such that I could not spare the day.

I'm glad that you also were impressed with Amber's passing. There has been significant improvement since last year for her. Her medium (20-25 yards) and long (50 yards or more) passing seems to have gotten real accurate and well paced. If her accurate long diagonal passes to a speedy wing (like Ohai or Brigman when she comes out of the back, or perhaps Reilly Parker) become part of the game plan (which it certainly looks like it will) the Heels will have a great offense -Horan, Rich, (and probably sub Cowie) working the middle at the finishing end of pressure offense, and the long distance threat of Amber's passing. (Of course, the UNC detractors will yell "kick and run" at us:rolleyes:...)

2. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    this is all great info on the Heels. I follow them very closely during the regular season, but always find it hard to get info in the offseason. And, as far as exhibition games, I have gone to two. The first was before the 2009 season when they beat eventual WPS champion 2-1 in Greensboro area. WOW! That team had CRAZY talent. But, the next time was in Altanta (yeah, we made the trip) when they got beaten 5-0 by the Atlanta Beat.

Anyways, can someone fill me in on Indi Cowie. I had been watching the college commitments on topdrawersoccer.com, but had not seen this name. I googled her and apparently she is a world class freestyler, but could not find much on her play.

I guess we will be without Dunn and Ohai due to the World Cup? How much time will they miss? I remember in 2008 when they managed to still win the NCAA's with Kling and Washington playing in Chile.

It looks like the 2012 and 2013 recruiting classes are LOADED with talent, so the future should be bright...Ain't it something that 2 years is the most UNC has ever gone without an NCAA championship. So, i guess it is time to win again. The last two years make the 3 out of 4 with Casey, Tobin, and company all that more amazing. Heck, Stanford has a player win the Hermann trophy 3 years in a row and still only got one title out of that string of years. 3 out of 4 in this era? WOW!

3. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    oh my goodness, rich got a bloody nose??? Could this woman please catch a break? She seems to be a very talented, hard working player with a great attitude who repeatedly has the worst luck with injuries. I remember a couple of years ago when she scored like 4 goals in a week, was national player of the week, then promptly had an injury which bothered her for most of the rest of the season.

4. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Thanks U-45 and SoccerMama for posting to share insight on Albertson -many of us are not local to the team and only know what we can research online. Thanks for the weekend match report, as well, Heeldoc. Hopefully those injuries you mentioned aren't too serious.

5. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    While the topic of U-17 Joanna Boyles was kicked around 6 weeks ago, I'm wondering if anyone has any more insight. A solid starter on the YNT for two years (and captain for many of those games) she hasn't played hardly at all for coach Albertin Montoya. She got only a few minutes at the end of the first Germany game in February, then didn't play at all in the second Germany friendly. Then not invited to travel with the team to LaManga. And now not playing yesterday in the 3-0 win against UC Irvine (even after Morgan Andrews went out with an injury.)

Many of us could speculate, but does anyone have any facts to share?

6. worthyofbeing1

Oct 23, 2011
    She peaked as a player according to the troll that was posting here.

Same reason why Meghan Klingenberg and Whitney Engen dont play on Wnt... Coach

Montoya rather play soon to be Stanford players / recruits.

7. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    U17 coach is buddies with Paul Ratcliffe.

Half U17 players are going to Stanford.

8. Archie's Grandpa

Oct 25, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Hate to see negative comments about kids who are, by any measurable standard, phenomenal athletes. My kid has played with and against almost all of the kids on the u17 national team and pool. I am amazed by the commitment and effort and skill level of all of them and prefer to just sit back and enjoy their talent. Good luck and god bless them and their parents.

9. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Tarheel blue reports a Spring game on Easter Sunday at 10:00. Seems a curious date and time for a game? Is this game still on tomorrow at Wake Med Soccer Center?

10. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Sadly, I had too many family commitments today (Easter) to make it to the game today. While I enjoyed being with my family, I missed seeing the Heels play... especially against Florida.

Did anyone see the game? What details can you provide?

11. onfirst

onfirst Member

Jun 7, 2002
    According to the Florida website, UF beat UNC 2-0 and beat Duke 2-1 this weekend. No details of either game provided.

12. wrg1

wrg1 New Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Club:
    Carolina
    hi,

I did get to see most of this match, on a beautiful day. My strongest reaction was how good Florida looked (or UNC let them look.) It isn't a surprise to see that they outscored Duke too. Their defense controlled almost everything that UNC tried to bring.

While one of Florida's goals was from a distance, their other goal and several near-misses and offsides reminded me of the darker moments from last season. Well-timed passes to forwards slicing through the defense and advancing on the goalie. Fortunately Brigman and Murray were fast enough to catch up and disrupt. The defense generally did well to keep the score down.

Rachel Wood put in a lot of minutes at center forward between Rich and Gray. Nigro continues to look like the most promising new face. She works very hard and defends eagerly. Brigman made impressive efforts to get forward and contribute offensively.

I'm pretty sure that it was Indie Cowie who crossed the field at one point on crutches wearing a splint. Sideline gossip (hope I'm wrong) said that she was having surgery after exams.

dick glendon

1 person likes this.
  13. Lorrie Fair

Lorrie Fair Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Florida should beat UNC without some of it's best players.

14. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    What's Meg Morris status? I heard she had surgery in the offseason. She was def not 100% all of last year.

Ive heard a few frosh might be in the mix for starting positions this fall. Should be interesting.

15. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
  16. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    It's Spring season. All teams are short in various ways, not just UNC.

17. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Not being an insider, I can't say specifically what Morris' status is, but she did have surgery and has been recovering. She has been socially active with the team this spring attending events, but obviously is not playing yet. I hope that she is able to go by the fall.

Oh yes, many of us are counting on lots of freshmen in the starting mix this fall. Haeberlin and Horan for sure, and I think that Parker will get lots of time as should Linquist as well. So by the end of the season, I would not be surprised to see these 4 starting. And if Cowie recovers from her injury (has any one heard how severe it is?) she will get significant time spelling Horan. I'm not sure how the other recruits will fare for playing time, but one can never count any Carolina recruit out of the equation.

18. im4womenssoccer

im4womenssoccer New Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Club:
    Carolina
    Joanna Boyles and Summer Greene are both on the roster for the U17 World Cup. Great experience for future Tar Heels.

19. Steven131

Steven131 New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Jenny Chiu, Mexican U-17 National Team captain, is also on the roster for the U-17 World Cup. She will arrive Chapel Hill in January of 2013, not in the Fall.

20. Heeldoc

Heeldoc Member

Oct 9, 2011
    From what I understand, Meg Morris is recovering from knee surgery and doing PT.--I expect her to be a force of nature this fall at 100%. Indie Cowie, I'm told, will have surgery for a torn ACL-- such a unique player--I hope she isn't too discouraged. (Does anyone know how long it usually takes to recover from that?)

Amber Brooks was unstoppable this Spring.

21. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Ouch re: Cowie. An ACL tear typically take a year to get fully back to speed, although there have been some examples getting back within 9 or even 6 months. I suppose all ACL damage is not created equal.

22. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Brooks should be in Full NT camps....a great option at DCMF.....but one word: Pia.

23. whiteball

whiteball Member

Apr 17, 2012
    I've seen Boyles played once. Totally deserved her place.

24. RAMbunctious

RAMbunctious Member

Jul 19, 2011
    I hope this 2012 class whenever is announced has someone that can score and pass.

Our forwards could not score against ACC level defenses.

Someone in the middle of midfield that can connect to the forwards in position to score. Better than watching Kealia Ohai take on four defenders.