2012 UCSB GAUCHOS Official Thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by GauchoYoungin, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What about Peter McGlynn?

And yes, I'm serious.

2. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    So the season is over, earlier than it has ever been since I started following the team. I would say I’m a tad disappointed in what happened this year, but I think all strong problems have one of those years and this one was ours. I’ll touch upon some things that happened, as well as the players and their future in this write up.

First thing that comes to mind is the second that Achille went down, we started losing…a lot. We had some people step up but nothing was the same. So again, injuries plagued us, but unfortunately this year it seemed we were not as deep at certain spots as we would have hoped.

Second, the events that unfolded at the end of the season. I already touched upon that in other responses. The main thing I am taking from all of that is the team was not cohesive and not having that was a big factor in the inability to perform. We can have talent, but if the team is not together as one, there is no hope.

Again, it is disappointing not to make it into the postseason, and the talk about whether we could have/would have without the ban can be brought up. However, I’m over it and moving on. I’m going to reflect on the players leaving, staying around and coming in, and look forward to next year which I believe will be a massively different year.

Grandt – I mentioned that I thought he would lose the starting role at the start of the year. He did. Maybe it was the fact that the defense was used to an aggressive GK and Grandt wasn’t that, but either way he didn’t perform the way we needed. Don’t see him doing anything professionally.

Schmetz – He did ok. Was beat a few times, and then was injured. He’ll play a factor next year, but with some other defenders emerging, it will be interesting to see where he goes in the lineup.

McGlynn – He will always be a Gaucho, and one of my favorites. Again, mistake was made…oh well. He is a very talented RB/RM and I believe he should still go to the combine and I also believe he will be drafted.

Welsh – Definitely was a huge asset to the backline this year. He didn’t cost the team as much as was thought based on history with cards. He will be a shoe in next year as a starter in my opinion.

Baiden – I would say he was the most reliable player this year for the Gauchos. I’m sure some pro teams are looking to snatch him up, but his size might deter some. I’m almost sure he’ll be around for his senior season, and controlling the mid himself will be huge for him and the team.

Acoff – A bust. Speed was praised…barely saw it. His finishing and linking with other players was crap. I think he was the worst transfer we have had here in a while. Don’t know if he was getting pro offers before he got to UCSB, but if not I don’t see him going anywhere.

Castillo – came on at the end of the season. Showed his skill. I think he finds his way into the midfield next year as a starter.

Vazquez – He came back to SB to do something, but injuries plagued him and the talent deepened his role on the squad. Maybe PDL for him, but don’t think he is going past that.

Campion – Was a huge asset at the beginning of the year. He told me his is coming back and apparently he said he has 2 years left. He’s listed as a Junior so I don’t know about that. Anyways, he will be a go to striker next year.

David – What can I say about this guy? He came in strong and mighty and owned teams. Then the pro talk got in his head and it ruined him mentally. The skill is still there, but any humility he did have went out the window. I’m sure he gets drafted and I’d like to see him in the MLS, but for as old as he is, he needs to grow up mentally.

Boateng – Clearly one of the brighter spots this year. He ended the season with a slight MCL tear though. I think that will halt any pro plans. He will be big for UCSB next year again as he was this year.

Brockway – He stepped up when needed and played solidly. I think that he and Schmetz will be at war for the 2nd CB spot. He might move to an outside back spot as in the Poly game, but we shall see. I just know he built up his stock.

Rappolt – Didn’t show much. Made mistakes when he was in. Possible cut from the team with many new faces coming in.

Ryan – He did work. One of the top goal scorers. Right spot and the right time. I hope he gets invited to the combine, but if not I see him PDL/NASL.

Glodack – Can’t falter him on many things this year. I feel offensively is where he struggles so that is why he was off the pitch at times. I can still see him being our LB next year and helping anchor the D.

Castro – He had his positives and negatives. Sometimes I think he tried to do too much. I wanted to see him strike the ball. It almost seemed he played better as an outside mid. I think he’ll be an off the bench guy.

Chavez – Not much there. Probably done with soccer from here.

Madueno – He is a quiet terror. A legitimate great teammate who did the dirty work and never let his head get the best of him. I hope he gets an invite to the combine to compete with the top players. I can see him getting picked up, though his size might drop him to the lower leagues.

Carn-Saferstein – he played when injuries took over. Didn’t do bad, but still a bench player next year.

Savino – Might stay at 3rd string next year with a talented freshman coming in and Mansker staying in front.

Boyoko – hoped for more. Seemed slow at times and didn’t show the skill set I had hoped for. Big body, but not much more. A bench player unless he dramatically improves.

Mansker – when he messed up, we lost. He didn’t do it much, but many of the goals late in the season were due to him being over committed or not hanging on to the ball. Still was solid for most of the year though and I expect him to be 1st string still next year.

De Leon – Didn’t show I believe at all this year. He might stay around as a bench guy, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he somehow isn’t with the team next year.

Mora – I didn’t see him much this year either. He showed more the year before. I think injury played a role. He will probably still be around as a bench player.

Cerceo – Didn’t play much either. A solid practice player to my understanding, but I think it will take a lot for him to break into the lineup.

Garcia-Lopez – He actually came on and held his own at RB in my opinion. I think he’ll stick around and play off the bench at that spot unless he really shows to be the best option back there which I believe is possible.

Backus – He tried at the end of the year, but you could tell he still had freshmen jitters. If he starts finishing as good as apparently he does at practice, he’ll continue to see the field.

Miller – Big body came in and showed promise up top. Almost a Kenny Cooper type guy, but he looks to pass more I feel. I think he stays a bench guy next year coming in when injuries get the best of us up top.

That’s my take on the team. I will hit up the newcomers and what I know in another post then possibly take a crack at the starting lineup for next year. Yea I know, season is over, but my body and mind still thinks it’s going on so I need to satisfy it somehow :p

3. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a hot-head never stopped anyone from earning a look. Being a four year guy who played a lot, McGlynn will definitely get looks from MLS scouts.

4. gaucho4ever

gaucho4ever New Member

Oct 26, 2012
    South California
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Any chance a UCSB junior, sophomore (or even freshman as Ema) going to the combine?
    ( With a generation adidas contract)?

5. gaucho4ever

gaucho4ever New Member

Oct 26, 2012
    South California
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree mostly with your analysis of the season.
    IMHO, I think Welsh is solid and will need a cb next to him that complements his abilities.
    I would love Campion to comeback as you predicted, but since I've seem him ping a rabona on the crossbar from 25 yds out at practice, I have doubts of him coming back. Who does that?
    I see him leave to play for serious money in Europe.
    Fifi should be eligible for a GA and despite our poor results he would definitely be a great addition to the MLS.
    Boateng is class but not mature yet, his production this year was average: sometimes plus, sometimes less. He might carry the hype from his high school but hasn't proven enough.
    Furthermore, I think we can expect Sarle to have some options at the end of the year. A youth product always has some interests from pro clubs with their resumes. And that would be fair to him.

6. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didn't follow his whole season but he was more than impressive against UCLA this year. Was dangerous every time he touched the ball, in addition to his mazy run and goal. He has MLS written all over him in my opinion.

7. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    To demonstrate that he can play against the physical hacking style his size will encourage MLS defenders to employ against him, he should have been playing for one of UCSB's Big West opponents.

8. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Boateng likely will be at UCSB for four years. He had offers in Europe and turned them down to get a U.S. education. Greater chance of seeing him in an ER somewhere than in MLS. Of course young men have been known to change their mind.

9. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if he gets a GA offer then that will cover the cost of finishing his education after his pro career ends.

10. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news Ahinga Selemani a CSA Wolves and US U17 regular that switched his commitment from Michigan State to UCSB is looking for work in Europe. So far he's been on trial with Hoffenheim and now Werder Bremen. Might turn out to be nothing and he'll come home and play college ball for you; just thought you might want to know. We were hoping to see him play in Columbus some day so it's as disappointing for Crew fans as it is for you.

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php?mode=show&id=10448

11. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Yea, that wouldn't be the first. This year we were supposed to get Ben Spencer who was a Chivas USA academy guy who is now I believe playing for Molde. I guess that's the difficulty going after high profile players. But we have dealt with it before and we'll have others step up when needed (hopefully).