2012 UCSB GAUCHOS Official Thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by GauchoYoungin, Feb 25, 2012.

1. gaucho4ever

gaucho4ever New Member

Oct 26, 2012
    South California
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think it would be fair to put Campion's name on that list although his season has been pretty short.
    I found this video recently:

Campion has scored one goal per game in preseason, did the same later on during reg. season and we already know that he was producing the same kind of stats in PDL .
    That's ONE GOAL PER GAME we are talking about.
    Plus one can see how important is a player... when the player is out of the field..
    Let's bring back Campion and Sarle to the game and this team will be back on track

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is that even an option at this point for Sarle?

3. Gauchodon

Gauchodon Member

Sep 23, 2005
    I'd be shocked if we saw Sarle back, but maybe we get Campion back soon. We are pretty much in win or go home territory. If we win the last three big west games, we make the big west tournament, first loss and the season is over. I don't think we've got the stomach to win the last three, but maybe if Campion returns we get a boost and get to see what happens from there.

gaucho4ever and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Doesn't look good for Gaucho fans:

J.R. Eskilson@JREskilson
    According to radio broadcast, UCSB senior Peter McGlynn was arrested on field following Gauchos 1-2 OT loss to UC Davis. McGlynn punched ref.

https://twitter.com/JREskilson

5. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Opa Gaucho style

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. Gauchodon

Gauchodon Member

Sep 23, 2005
    Embarrassing. I didn't see it, but what I heard in the stands was that he punched the ref. Sad day to be a Gaucho. It will be interesting to see what Massari does. If I was him, I'd do some stiff preemptive action and it would probably, unfortunately, punish more than just McGlynn. I have no idea what Massari's options are, so all I can say is it will be interesting to see what happens.

McGlynn's career at UCSB is over... we don't make the big west tournament without a butload of help the rest of the way and so his three game suspension will end his UCSB career. What a stupid way to end a career.

It was an ugly end to the game, and I was on the wrong endline to see exactly what happened... there was a long sloppy goalmouth scramble after a corner kick that looked really physical and eventually resulted in the goal, but it really doesn't matter what happened to end the game. McGlynn will serve his punishment, he did get arrested and it's anyone's guess if the ref will press assault charges. Embarrassing is all I can say.
    I follow him on Facebook and Twitter and he has been vocal in the past, not so much this year (I'm guessing he got chastised for it at some point), but it will be interesting to see if he posts anything on either of those.

To be clear, McGlynn was not the only one arguing with the ref. Boyoko was arguing with the ref first and coaches ran over and pulled him away from the ref. Vom Steeg made a gesture with both hands raised up (I'm assuming he was showing the keeper's position and arguing that he was fouled in some manner on the kick or ensuing scramble). I looked away at this point as it seemed like it was under control and then heard the ruckus, someone saying "OMG he punched the ref", so I can't really speak on exactly what happened, except what I heard and that he definitely did leave the field in handcuffs. Embarrassing :(

*Oracle* and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  7. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    Even when UCSB can't stay in the rankings (or the postseason), they find a way to stay in the news. This whole story could blow up as an anti-soccer deal.

8. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Hopefully it does not.

9. gaucho4ever

gaucho4ever New Member

Oct 26, 2012
    South California
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have to say I was so excited by the first 30 mins.
    That's always the same thing in sports: who can predict the outcome?
    One thing for sure, it's not soccer heaven anymore...
    Looks much more like soccer nightmare to me.. :devilish:

10. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't expect it to. San Francisco Giants (ugh) sweeping Detroit in the World Series still carries the day, along with some call overturning Dez Bryant's touchdown catch vs the NY Giants. NHL lockout and DeAngelo Hall being ejected for arguing with a ref might have some buzz too.

11. *Oracle*

*Oracle* Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Lancaster
    IMHO - it would serve UCSB well if Massari is proactive in taking some sort of action either against TVS or the team itself. It's a no brainer McGlynn is done. Without Massari taking the initiative, I think the NCAA steps in and sanctions the program in some way. IMHO - Two major incidents within a such a short window of time is an indicator that something is systematically askew in Gaucholand.

If I had to offer an opinion, I really think TVS's competitive intensity has the effect of inciting his players to act out. Reviewing the video of the last play, he really had nothing to complain about and no real reason to approach the refs post game. His keeper failed to make the play. TVS's apparent lack of respect towards game officials that often occurs during a UCSB match via his baiting and berating has to trickle down, with the end result where the UCSB players also having too little respect for the match officials. The end result of that lack of respect triggers incidents such as what occurred last night and two years ago in Berkeley. IMHO, clearly he isn't smart enough to figure out how his own actions impact his players and the negative consequences that could result.

I have the highest regard for what TVS and UCSB have built and given to the college game from a fan perspective. But at the end of the day, IMHO he has to hold himself accountable for both his own actions and those of his players. Perhaps he may. But having said that, I sometimes get the impression TVS thinks of himself as omnipotent and beyond reproach. That mindset is the bane of many a coach. But given what TVS has built, IMHO, it could even be more exaggerated in "soccer heaven". But at the end of the day, Massari needs to hold someone accountable for the school being disgraced, not once, but now twice in three years. What we the public don't know is the length of the leash Massari placed on TVS and the UCSB team after the incident in CAL. The length of which IMHO could very well determine TVS's future as UCSB's coach.

Sad situation all around.

12. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    A couple of little stories -

After UCSB won their NCAA title in 2006, my sons and I went to a College Showcase event in the spring in Temecula that featured UCSB against Air Force. In the first half, UCSB manhandled Air Force all over the field - nasty tackles, jumping into or over players who had established position on a high ball, and grabbing or tackling from behind players who had gotten by. They were willing to accept the whistles and cards as the cost of their "style". I said to my sons (both high school players with college aspirations at the time) "Forget UCSB".

The real issue with UCSB's play is what happened in the second half. Air Force got the message and came out playing with their own version - studs into ankles, jersey-grab defense and chest-bump confrontations. Given UCSB's success on the field, many coaches are tempted to adopt their hooliganism. However, it is fortunate that there is a wave of skillful players coming into adulthood now, perhaps stemming from the USA's rising level of play in international soccer in the 90's. I prefer Akron's 30-pass goals to UCSB's bulldozer tactics.

Yesterday while watching the game at UCSB, one of the Davis parents complained about UCSB's rough play. An adult in a Gaucho jersey turned and said "You just have to learn to play that way".

No, you don't.

13. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Lie of the year -

"this is hardly a team that goes out and hits people and fouls people"

Tim Vom Steeg

14. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    LOL! Yeah right, TVS. Here is the three year compilation for 2007-2009 that I did mid-season 2010 i think and is in an old BS post. Anyone want to do the last three years?

3 Year Average
    School ----------- YC --- RC (Total Fouls)
    Cal Poly --------- 34.3 – 2.3 – (281.3)
    Fullerton (2yr) – 37.4 – 5.5 – (261.5)
    Northridge ----- 37.6 – 4.3 – (305.3)
    Davis ----------- 39.3 – 3.6 – (329.6)
    Irvine ---------- 30.3 – 2.0 – (301.3)
    Riverside ------- 40.0 – 4.0 – (301.6)
    UCSB ------------ 55.3 – 6.3 – (393.6)

15. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I read a comment from some Gaucho stalwart a couple of weeks ago that UCSB had reformed this year and was playing a more elegant game. I guess it is easy to be elegant when feasting on creampuffs like Seattle, Harvard, and Valparaiso, but when they came home to the Big West, the neighbors weren't impressed with their table manners.

16. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    E, I have casually watched some of their games and reviewed the box reports this year. I would guess the numbers are slighty down based on my observations but still high for the conference in general.

17. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Well, unfortunate things have transpired. Punishments dished out. The team knows they have 2 games left and they can play spoiler for whomever they want. That plus the Cal Poly game will be their "Championship." I hope they treat it as such. One definitely should not miss that game.

18. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love nothing more than for us to be the team that keeps Cal Poly out of the BW tournament by winning at their place.

It may not matter though. Sac State would have h2h advantage based on beating and tying them in the two meetings this year.

19. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    UCSB can keep Cal Poly out by losing to Sac State tomorrow.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  20. gaucho4ever

gaucho4ever New Member

Oct 26, 2012
    South California
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So....
    The season is over: will we have some new big players next year?
    who will stay? who will leave?
    Any gaucho going pro?
    Any ideas?

21. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
  22. gaucho4ever

gaucho4ever New Member

Oct 26, 2012
    South California
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Impressive! Sounds good although we may have to emphasize on the defense side...
    Any idea who is living except for the seniors?
    And who has a chance for the draft, if any?

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It's very nice to see them recruiting domestically and mostly in California.

With all that talent in the region there's no need to recruit so heavily from abroad so it's nice to see the change in tactics by TVS.

24. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    The foreign players show up in about April or May. I wouldn't give him too much credit yet as I am sure the Jucos, transfers and foreigners will be flocking to soccer heaven with the couple courtesy SoCal kids

25. gaucho4ever

gaucho4ever New Member

Oct 26, 2012
    South California
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    MD and Nick Ryan for the MLS draft