2012 UCSB GAUCHOS Official Thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by GauchoYoungin, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RPI may not be much of an issue. the Big West was pretty strong last year, even though the league only sent two teams to the ncaa tourney. UCSB and UCI will be up there. Sac State, UC Riverside? this could be a three-bid league or more.

3. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Wow, I wonder if they're having budget issues. Their only out-of-state games are a couple of road trips to the Pacific Northwest, and those games (Seattle/Gonzaga/OregonSt) are all but guaranteed to be bad for their RPI.

Given that the Big West won't be (nearly) as dominant as it was last year, they may need an automatic bid to even reach the post-season.

5. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Have I mentioned before that I hate the offseason?

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Silva arrest photo...

[​IMG]

7. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Below was a comment posted online in relation to the story:
    Hey at least one of them showed some effort and tried to outrun the cops. Totally different from their effort on the field where running seems to be foreign to them all.

8. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    I have already heard about this. Yea it sucks, primarily for Silva, but knowing Soolsma and Aceval I think Silva was wrong place, wrong time, wrong crowd. I'm sure he was intoxicated, but doubt he was the initiator. Learning experience for him to say the least.

9. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
  10. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So after giving Silva deserved shit after his arrest, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that he has bounced back quite nicely and had a great couple of games this week, scoring twice, including the game-winner against New England.

Also, Dan Kennedy and Chris Pontius were named to the MLS All-Star team today.

12. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Yes Silva has done very well since the incident. He is a good young man with a great head on his shoulders who went through a very tragic experience for anyone, but especially someone as young as himself, and made some poor decisions because of it. Luckily the team understood and Paul Mariner has taken a chance on Silva starting him the past two games and being rewarded with a goal in each. Right now that confidence is what Silva really needs to help him through the grieving process.

As far as DK and CP13 I personally couldn't be happier. I figured DK should be there, and when I saw Olsen appointed as coach I knew that CP13 had a great chance. Both have been playing amazingly for their clubs.

In other news, Peter McGlynn has been playing for the Ventura County Fusion in the PDL (along with Tim Pontius, James Kiffe, and Sam Hayden) and they have just won the Southwestern Conference Title and look to host the Western Conference playoffs. I know McGlynn has been invited to a few MLS camps this summer, but without signing an agent he plans on coming back. Having him in the back will be huge on the right side. He started last year amazingly before his unfotunate injury.

And another note, just over a month until the first game of the season!!!

13. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  14. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    New player as mentioned above means new roster update. Not really too much to report on other than the addition. I know Chris Roell is still working on getting better so might not be part of the team this year. Glodack was playing during some of those spring games so things look good for him coming back. Sarle didn't play much in spring due to a hip injury. Believe he is good now or at least will be by season. Official roster will probably come about in the next few weeks. They are already starting to make updates on profiles. 3 more weeks until season!!!

WARNING: I don't know all or everything for sure. A lot might be hear-say. Take what you will with a grain of salt until official enough for you.

Coaches:
    Tim Vom Steeg
    Greg Wilson
    Greg Curry
    Stu Dobson

Out:
    Luis Silva (drafted by Toronto FC)
    Sam Garza (drafted by San Jose Earthquakes)
    James Kiffe (Ventura County Fusion)
    Tim Pontius (Ventura County Fusion)
    Waid Ibrahim (working for Right To Dream in Ghana)
    Gaby Okito (finishing up school)
    Michael Nonni (signed by SV Wilhelmshaven, now ???)
    David Opoku (signed by HJK Helsinki but looking to transer to Norway)

Total: 8

Returning:
    1 André Grandt Goalkeeper 6-0 175 SR
    2 Peter Schmetz Defender 6-6 205 JR
    3 Peter McGlynn Midfielder 5-11 165 SR
    4 Juan Gomez Defender 6-2 180 SR
    5 Fifi Baiden Midfielder 5-8 165 JR
    6 Christian Vazquez Midfielder 5-8 145 RS-SR
    10 Machael David Midfielder 5-7 150 SR
    13 Matt Thayer Defender 5-10 173 RS-SO
    14 Nic Ryan Midfielder 5-8 130 SR
    15 Dom Sarle Forward 5-9 155 JR
    16 Matthew Glodack Defender 5-9 156 JR
    19 Josue Madueno Forward 5-6 150 SR
    21 David Flores Goalkeeper 6-3 180 JR
    22 Mac Cerceo Midfielder 5-7 160 SO
    23 Rey Ezra-Simbwa Midfielder 5-8 160 JR
    25 Austin Mansker Goalkeeper 6-2 200 RS-SO
    26 Jordan Dorn Goalkeeper 6-3 200 RS-FR
    27 Alex de Leon Midfielder 5-6 148 RS-SO
    28 Rafael Mora Midfielder 5-11 155 RS-SO
    29 Chris Roell Forward 5-11 152 SO
    31 Marcial "Marshall" Cazares Defender 5-9 150 SO
    32 Kevin Garcia-Lopez Defender 5-6 142 RS-SO
    33 Charlie Miller Midfielder 6-3 190 RS-FR
    88 Michael Chavez Midfielder 5-9 160 SR

Total: 24
    Coming In:
    Transfers:
    Cesar Castillo Midfielder Cerritos College
    Dion Acoff Midfielder Creighton
    Achille Campion Forward Belhaven University
    Javier Castro Forward Mt. San Antonio College
    Brandon Brockway Defender Oregon State
    Dylan Murphy Defender New South Wales Institute of Sport (Australia)
    Daniel Welsh Defender UMBC
    Gaffin Boyoka Midfielder Auburn Montgomery

Freshmen:
    Ema Boateng Midfielder Cate School/SBSC
    Nick Savino Goalkeeper Moorestown High School/Lions Soccer Academy

Total: 10

TOTAL: 34

At risk:
    David Flores
    Jordan Dorn
    Chris Roell (due to injury)

15. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    I know that depth has also been discussed, so a quick breakdown of positions with no cuts and everyone on the current roster is as follows:

Goalkeepers - 5
    Defenders - 12
    Midfielders - 13
    Forwards - 4

Granted some mids can play up top, but I figure Dom, Achille, Castro and Roell are the main choices up front. I can see Achille as a target with Dom withdrawn. Some defenders can play mid and vice-versa. Still think we'll go 4 in the back probably with McGlynn, Glodack, Schmetz and Cazares. I think the only locks are McGlynn and Schmetz though. The mid will be interesting. I think it will come down to how people play with each other. If you base it off of age/experience you have Acoff, MD, Baiden, Boateng and the new signee Boyoka. Ryan fell off last year so he needs to bring it to get/keep his spot. Madueno has had great moments, but I don't know if he'll start. His team chemistry though might keep him at the right mid spot. It is also possible TVS will save Madueno as a sub up top. And like I said about GK spot, I don't see us carrying 5 and I believe that Flores is for sure gone, Dorn possibly as well. Mansker I have heard is first choice coming in if his knee stays strong. Grandt I don't think has worked on what he has had to in order to improve so we shall see.

16. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    What sort of PT do you think Machael David might get? Met him at Sounders-FC Ventura PDL playoff match and he seemed like a really great kid

17. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    MD is a good kid and a great player for sure. Problem is he has had some injuries constantly during his time at UCSB and also mentally he hasn't been on the same page as other players. The latter has been the biggest issue. He sometimes tries to do too much and is caught out of place which leads to counter opportunities for the other team. Last year he was very guilty of trying too much and he dropped on pro radars b/c of it. If he gets back to his play the previous year I think he'll be solid. I see him being one of 2 DMids this year paired with Fifi and getting a lot of time. He just needs to stay healthy and not do too much.

18. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Looks like the roster is complete. Some losses I didn't predict, but also some gains I wasn't aware of. Looks like a solid group of talented players with some good depth all around. Also, Stuart Dobson has left to become the goalkeeper coach at Akron. Great guy, but he was only a volunteer coach at UCSB. Akron and the money they have as a football school made the choice to go there rather easy. Good luck to him.

WARNING: I don't know all or everything for sure. A lot might be hear-say. Take what you will with a grain of salt until official enough for you.

Coaches:
    Tim Vom Steeg
    Greg Wilson
    Greg Curry

Out:
    Luis Silva (drafted by Toronto FC)
    Sam Garza (drafted by San Jose Earthquakes)
    James Kiffe (Ventura County Fusion)
    Tim Pontius (Ventura County Fusion)
    Waid Ibrahim (working for Right To Dream in Ghana)
    Gaby Okito (finishing up school)
    Michael Nonni (signed by SV Wilhelmshaven, now ???)
    David Opoku (signed by HJK Helsinki but looking to transer to Norway)
    Juan Gomez (released)
    David Flores (released)
    Rey Ezra-Simbwa (released/injury)
    Jordan Dorn (released)
    Chris Roell (released/injury)
    Dylan Murphy (Did not matriculate)
    Stuart Dobson (new GK coach at AKRON)

Total: 14

Roster:
    1 André Grandt Goalkeeper 6-0 175 SR
    2 Peter Schmetz Defender 6-6 205 JR
    3 Peter McGlynn Midfielder 5-11 165 SR
    4 Daniel Welsh Defender 6-2 175 JR
    5 Fifi Baiden Midfielder 5-8 165 JR
    6 Dion Acoff Forward 5-9 150 SR
    7 Javier Castro Forward 5-11 165 JR
    8 Christian Vazquez Midfielder 5-8 145 RS-SR
    9 Achille Campion Forward 6-2 200 JR
    10 Machael David Midfielder 5-7 150 SR
    11 Ema Boateng Midfielder 5-6 150 FR
    12 Brandon Brockway Defender 6-1 172 FR
    13 Matt Thayer Defender 5-10 173 RS-SO
    14 Nic Ryan Midfielder 5-8 130 SR
    15 Dom Sarle Forward 5-9 155 JR
    16 Matthew Glodack Defender 5-9 156 JR
    17 Cesar Castillo Forward 5-5 130 JR
    18 Michael Chavez Midfielder 5-9 160 SR
    19 Josue Madueno Forward 5-6 150 SR
    20 Adam Carn-Saferstein Midfielder 5-10 155 FR
    21 Mac Cerceo Midfielder 5-7 160 RS-FR
    22 Nick Savino Goalkeeper 6-2 185 FR
    23 Goffin Boyoko Midfielder 6-0 177 JR
    24 Austin Mansker Goalkeeper 6-2 200 RS-SO
    26 Pierre Rappolt Defender 6-4 190 JR
    27 Alex de Leon Midfielder 5-6 148 RS-SO
    28 Rafael Mora Midfielder 5-11 155 RS-SO
    30 Marshall Cazares Defender 5-9 150 SO
    31 Kevin Garcia-Lopez Defender 5-6 142 RS-SO
    32 Duncan Backus Midfielder 6-2 165 FR
    33 Charlie Miller Midfielder 6-3 190 RS-FR

TOTAL: 31

So there you go. That is the official roster as of right now. I bolded the new guys who were never mentioned in any release. A couple of freshmen and another tall JR transfer. We look deep and we look good and from what I've been hearing from practice sessions, this can be a very good year.

19. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Here are a couple of videos previewing the season done by Presidio Sports. A little insight into what to expect this season:
    TVS

McGlynn

Acoff

Hararea repped this.
  20. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    So Westmont on Saturday will be the first time to see what we put on the field. I figure I'd take my shot at who would be out there. Here is the lineup I expect to see on Saturday (this is where I wish we had those little lineup fields as an option that were taken away with the upgrade on the site).

----------Campion--------Sarle------------
    -------------------David---------------------
    Acoff--------------------------------Madueno
    -------------------Baiden--------------------
    Cazares----Schmetz----Welsh------McGlynn
    -------------------Mansker-------------------

Subs: Boateng, Ryan, Castillo, Boyoko

Right now it is hard to leave Ema off the field to start, however Acoff is the older/mature player who will probably take that LM spot and him and Ema (as well as Nic Ryan) will sub between them. Up top I expect Sarle to play behind Campion a little and can see Castillo taking that spot. Campion is locked up top, but there has been talk about Castro working there as well. Madueno was primarily the main right mid last year and all I can see there are other players slotting in from their other major spots. Yes that is Machael David you see as an AM. With Baiden locking down the DM spot, keeping MD on the field is important and odds are he will play the central AM role b/c of his want to get forward. I would think that MD would switch on and off in the position with Boyoko. I think Cazares is our LB spot unless TVS wants to put Glodack there which I do believe he played a little last year. The CB's will be Schmetz and either Welsh and Glodack and we all know that McGlynn will be RB unless he gets pushed to RM which I don't see happening that often if at all. I also think Mansker gets the nod in front of Grandt. TVS did mention the freshman having a shot, but I think Mansker is the team favorite right now and has the size and skill to hold the spot down. With a new GK coach coming in, that position will be up for grabs for sure.

21. Gauchodon

Gauchodon Member

Sep 23, 2005
    I'm excited for the season, though I would guess there will be some ups and downs due to the loss of most of our scoring from last year. Looking forward to seeing how the new faces will fit in.

For those who are interested but can't attend, tonight's exhibition against Westmont is supposed to be free on Bigwest.tv
    www.bigwest.tv or http://www.bigwest.org/tv/

22. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    My quick 2 cents about the game against Westmont. 3 good goals involving great passing and finishing. Glad to see the new guys get involved. This team definitely needs to get more used to each other though.

A little more on the game:
    - The passing was off, but when it was on it was very good.
    - Campion did go down a bit easy on some plays, but others he did get fouled and there was not call. I think with time he'll get to know what he can and can't get away with.
    - Acoff was out with a groin injury that he's been nursing but should be good to go at LMU on Sunday (which I plan on attending)
    - The backline was solid and the GK's didn't have to do too much. Wasn't really the game to judge who should be between the pipes.
    - Boyoko was actually the CAM role and not up top so he is a big body in the middle. He did well, but also seemed to be winded at a few points in the game.
    - Ema is small but mighty. He took knocks and kept going. His speed will help and he's calm on the ball. He's technical enough to draw the foul against bigger players. He was also moved to striker with Campion and Sarle were not on the field. I don't think anything really came from that.
    - MD was a little out of place, but that's where he is going to be. The only option with him and Fifi as dual CDMs is a staggered middle of the field but I don't see that happening. MD just needs to figure out his side of the field a bit more.
    - Sarle did well and his goal was phenomenal. He didn't really show up it seemed until the 2nd half. I think he suffered most from not really knowing guys around him.
    - A lot of guys got into the game and it was good to see the play didn't really drop off.
    - Castillo did ok in my opinion. He did make some mistakes, but he did make some moves and hold the ball up and pass it off for the 3rd goal. I think he's the small voice on a field of bigger players. I feel he needed to speak up on some crosses to have the better chance on goal.
    - We also as a team needed to take more shots. Ema was guilty of this I think the most. We have to take that one good positive touch and rip it on frame.

Based on the game I think we'll be seeing this lineup at LMU:
    ---------------Campion--------------------------------
    ---------------------------------Sarle------------------
    ------------------------Boyoko------------------------
    Acoff--------------------------------------------David
    -------------------------Baiden------------------------
    Glodack--------Schmetz------Welsh----------McGlynn
    -------------------------Grandt------------------------

Boateng, Madueno, Castro, and Castillo I feel will be the first off the bench. Ryan, Mora and Miller will probably see some time as well.
    Also, Cazares is not in school now b/c he is academically ineligible. Word is right now he is trying to get back in to school and go from there.

23. ap23011992

ap23011992 New Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    hey guys pls help me-
    i am going to graduate in may 2013 in india and i am trying to get into UCSB...the reason being their soccer structure....but do they consider post-grad students for trials ???do all Div-1 teams consider post-grad students for a place in their soccer team ???pls reply....

24. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can't recall any post grad players on the team, but as long as NCAA elegibility requirements are met, I don't see why not. I suggest contacting the coaches directly. UCSB also has this "recruiting zone":

http://ucsb.prestosports.com/sports/m-soccer/Recruiting_Zone/index