2012 U-17 Nike Friendlies

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ielag, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Under-17 Men

vs. Turkey Under-17 Men
    Premier Sports Campus; Lakewood Ranch, Fla.
    Nov. 30, 2012 @ 5 p.m. ET

U.S. Under-17 Men

vs. Portugal Under-17 Men
    Premier Sports Campus; Lakewood Ranch, Fla.
    Dec. 2, 2012 @ 5 p.m. ET

2. UofIneedssoccer

Nov 3, 2009
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    So the more we read about this game, did we really play very well at all?. Our mids could not keep up, the outside defenders stayed back which means we did not play a 4-3-3 or did we? So how did we score? Not saying we should play a 4-3-3 but that is what they want all the DA to play

3. passion4playing

Nov 6, 2009
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    We played well. We scored on the counter attacks with the exception of a 5 to 6 pass sequence that resulted in the goal by Winn, but i thought Brazil deserved the result. It was a typical Brazil team, very strong on the attack with suspect defending. We did in fact play a 4-3-3.

4. UofIneedssoccer

Nov 3, 2009
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos

5. TwoThreeTwoThree

Nov 23, 2011
    Are you sure about the 4-3-3? It seems -- purely from the jersey numbering and comments on this forum that Flores played as an outside mid -- that we played a 4-4-2 with a diamond mid: Swanson at 6, shielding the defense, Flores and Lema as the wider-but-still-tucked-in workhorses, and Baird at 10 with minimal defensive responsibilities. The "recommended" 4-3-3 has two attacking mids, a center-forward who can hold the ball, and fullbacks who attack quite a bit. This is very pretty soccer, but unless you have a team that's super strong technically at all positions, this is very hard to pull off. Thus, in recent matches, Williams seems to be playing the USMNT style 4-3-3 with a defensive #6, transitional #8 and an attacking #10. The transition to the diamond 4-4-2 with very defensive fullbacks generally makes it hard for the midfielders, unless the forwards work very hard covering a lot of ground. This formation definitely helps the counterattacking game, which works against technically strong teams like Brazil. This formation also always makes the #10 look very good, since he has few defensive responsibilities, and can get between the lines of the opponent and showcase his skills. A great example of where this formation fails can be found in Cabrera's loss to Uzbekistan: the Uzbek forwards dropped back and pressed Pelosi and S. Rodriguez (who were playing the wider roles in the diamond), and the US ended up with the ball being played side-to-side by their centerbacks. Uzbekistan scored from a couple of long balls and took the game.

TimB4Last repped this.
  6. passion4playing

Nov 6, 2009
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Martin.....Moore.........Donovan........Roquelo
    Swanson........Baird..............Lema
    Flores............Rubin.............Winn

Swanson = 6
    Lema = 8
    Baired = 10
    Flores = 7
    Rubin = 9
    Winn = 11

7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FYP

8. passion4playing

Nov 6, 2009
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Thank you.

9. passion4playing

Nov 6, 2009
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Coach Ritchie has to find a way to get Mulkwelle and Emo on the field. The easy fix would be to move Flores and emo to the middle to make room for Mulkwelle but in the 4-3-3 system it would be crazy to do that because neither Flores or Emo plays defense we would be left with two attacking mids in that system. He definately should be playing over Winn.

10. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

It shouldn't be that hard to fit Emo into the line-up. He recently joined up with the team and Williams will more than likely put him in the starting line-up before the tourney is done. Considering Emo only made a cameo appearance and we had 2 95's play minutes you can't help but be pleased

11. passion4playing

Nov 6, 2009
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Giving '97 minutes for the sake of giving them time is wrong. Swanson has earned his minutes, Lindley minutes is based on hype. I seen him up close when he was in residency during training and in some of their scrimmages against local DA and club teams. It is obvious Ritchie has a soft spot for him. During some of those trainings and games he would make countless number of mistakes and all of a sudden he's injured. This would always seem to happen when he is getting outplayed. During the Brazil game he was a liability. But i'm sure Ritchie will find an excuse for him too bad Bradford Jamison does not get that same treatment from Ritchie because he is much better than Winn. But, like anything else coaches have "their guys".

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    With 3 games in so short of a period, I imagine all of the players will see time............................

I mean, winning this competition is meaningless. It's more important to get all of the kids exposure to this level.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    But is it meaningless? How will the world know that we've finally arrived if we don't win the 2012 U-17 Nike Friendlies?

14. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

We have this every semester. Players just have to understand the U-17 level is nothing compared to what it takes to make it. they should not take it personally.

15. passion4playing

Nov 6, 2009
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Point well taken. To me it really comes down to opportunity. If Ritchie is willing to give "his guys" that chance it sucks that a player that is better is not given that same chance.

http://blog.3four3.com/2012/11/29/soccer-matters-of-circumstance/

16. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Certainly? MLS HG rules are far from a certainty in anything....Hell the Timbers reportedly just had a HG request denied on another player. And Seattle was after Nick Palodichuk in a past cycle in almost the exact same scenario if I remember correctly.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There's a lot of grey area when it comes to Portland's homegrown requests. There are a bunch of good players that played for Portland youth affiliates..................before they were actually affiliated with Portland. And before Portland's MLS team and the Timbers academy actually existed.

I don't think Rubio actually is in this grey area. I think Westside became a Timbers affiliate while he was there, and at approximately the same time as he went to Bradenton.

http://timbersarmy.org/community/gisele-currier-memorial-fund/gcmf-rubio-mendez-rubin

I think MLS would love to have Rubin in the league and would rule in the Timber's favor on this one.

Personally, I don't think it's an issue. Rubio will forgo MLS and head to Europe........................

18. FWsoccer

FWsoccer Member

Jul 5, 2011
    quote="passion4playing, post: 26846118, member: 159383"]Giving '97 minutes for the sake of giving them time is wrong. Swanson has earned his minutes, Lindley minutes is based on hype. I seen him up close when he was in residency during training and in some of their scrimmages against local DA and club teams. It is obvious Ritchie has a soft spot for him. During some of those trainings and games he would make countless number of mistakes and all of a sudden he's injured. This would always seem to happen when he is getting outplayed. During the Brazil game he was a liability. But i'm sure Ritchie will find an excuse for him too bad Bradford Jamison does not get that same treatment from Ritchie because he is much better than Winn. But, like anything else coaches have "their guys".[/qu

The implication that Cam's injury is not completely legit is flat out wrong. He has been struggling with a significant injury brought about by an anatomic abnormality. He hasn't been healthy for awhile and missed a large portion of his club's games to this point. Maybe the coaching staff has a great deal more insight into the situation than you might think.

19. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Don't forget that we are trying to integrate them into a new style of play. I think this has and is being stress at every youth to NT call-up

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that doesn't sound good.....

21. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ussoccer_ynt: U-17 #USMNT XI: 12-Louro (GK); 13-Schropp, 15-Cano, 4-Moore (C), 2-Martin, 6-Lindley, 18-Muñoz, 19-Akale, 20-Hyndman, 14-Elney, 9-Selemani

Get ready for attacking soccer.

22. AutoPenalti

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay guys, once again I'll be doing PBP. Sorry I'm a bit late, don't shoot me please.

Evan Louro comes up big for the U.S., making a point-blank save in the 9th min. USA 0, TUR 0.

USA 0 - 0 Turkey

Shots: (OT)
    USA 0 (0)
    Turkey 1 (1)

Fouls:

AllNats repped this.
  23. AllNats

AllNats Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume there's no stream for this one, but is there anywhere even doing live updates?

Edit: Never mind, thanks AP!

24. UofIneedssoccer

Nov 3, 2009
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Twitter

25. AutoPenalti

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States