2012 Thread for Discussion on other MLS Teams [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't mix past with present.

My take (reasoning) in past years as to what I saw happening in the offseason has varied with the year but has tried (!) always to give the benefit of the doubt to those directly involved (Rev staff) and who has ALL THE INFORMATION while I only have my perceptions as to why unfolded the way they did and (2) that those making the decisions were capable professionals at their jobs and where functioning in a properly designed organizational structure.

Factor (1) above still applies in my calculus but obvious history shows factor (2) has been broken for years resulting in ineffective roster management. Ownership claims they have recognized and fixed what was broken with management. Early results don't look overly promising but the jury is still out so lets not lump past with present.

I see the present situation as a work in progress--almost a start up team-- and don't think it's realistic to try to compare what's happening with our roster and on field performance with most other MLS franchises this year. Heaps et al are sifting and sorting multiple pieces trying to build a core roster. It's an ugly, time consuming process and I can easily see why all the pieces to the puzzle might not have been signed and in place during preseason. I see this entire season as an evolutionary process of sifting and sorting the current crop of signings and then pruning and replacing the pieces that don't fit. How much of that can be done across/in-season? If you willing to accept a season of chaos I think a lot can be done over the next six months in preparation for more refined changes in preparation for the 2013.

As I've said in multiple places, because this is clearly a total rebuilding year I'm willing to accept chaos and poor results early if it starts to stabilize in mid season and shows signs of coming together by Fall. I'd see that as signs that the rebuilding process was going well, that management had in fact been properly restructured and the the prospects for 2013 would be bright.

2. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Don't mistake the present for different.

3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The present is always different from the past although it may look the same :D

SERIOUSLY---I'm not happy with what I'm seeing but I think we don't yet have enough data to draw any meaningful conclusions. Don't you agree that's a fair statement?

4. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that depends on what you mean by "meaningful". We can draw the conclusion that this team has a serious lack of depth and has a serious issue trying to put balls into the net.

180 data points is enough for us to start looking at these XI players. 4 years of data points is enough for us to see somethng seriously rotten in the state of Foxborough.

5. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    But what you're talking about now is rolling trial and error conducted by two guys (Heaps and Burns) who are in over their heads. Can they learn? Maybe. Yet they always might be two steps behind the curve (e.g. being just about the last team into Colombia).

Throwing players against the wall and seeing who sticks is not what professionals do. True professionals identify players they know will succeed. That requires talent and experience. Burns and Heaps get what they can and cross their fingers.

6. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yes. Which means we also don't have enough data to say things are, or even maybe, different than they had been.

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Knighton helped the Caps win their first ever road game.

So Vancouver has now won as many road games in the last two years as the Revs.

9. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Which is why (IMHO) it's fair to judge them somewhat based on past (previous years) performance as it relates to this team as well. Until I'm shown that things actually have changed, I think this team is just about where it was before. I'm not drawing any conclusions, but my reference point remains where it left off last.

10. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Vancouver and Martin Rennie? They were just as bad as us last year and they have a new coach too, but they certainly whipped things into shape much more effectively than us. Even within MLS, it can be done. Plus, even going by the "rebuilding season" method and handing out yet another free pass, why do they deserve it? The same idiots who ran the show previously are still in the FO calling the shots.

11. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What's interesting about the Rennie hiring is the Whitecaps hired him LAST season while he was still coaching the RailHawks. He was given a ton of lead time to get his plans in place.

12. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And most people who looked at what VAN did this winter versus what the Revs did, put the check mark in the VAN column. The fact that the player they didn't have room for on their roster (Nguyen) has proven to be one of our most effective players over the first two games, only further shows how much their acquisitions were superior to the Revs'.

13. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Until I see them play, I'm leaving open the possibility that they blundered, and cut the wrong guy.

14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These two statements are contradictory :p ---but I know what your driving at but are having trouble articulating your thoughts after a Jamersons lunch.

15. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another strike for the FO, should have canned Nicol earlier.

16. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's more because if yesterday's Jameson breakfast :)

But I said it was fair to judge them, not that I specifically was judging them. I think it's been fairly obvious in other posts that I've withheld major judgement and am waiting to see what they look like after a fee games before I judge. I do think it's reasonable to judge them on the present using the failures of the past however.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying I'd want Ballack, but it's really depressing to see the names of the players associated with teams when compared to ours.

18. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Hey, we got Moreno!!! or maybe not? idk this is confusing. I need a drink.

19. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    We just don't have the cachet that "New York" or "Los Angeles" has overseas, meaning the Revs need to work that much harder to sell prospective players on coming here, not that this isn't hard enough already.

20. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Portland has tons of cache ;)

21. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why if we ever actually get an urban stadium someday we should rebrand to be Boston.

22. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.
    So subtle, but I agree it would make a HUGE difference.

23. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That and the fact that this brand is likely damaged beyond repair.

24. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.
    This too.

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's enough places where the Revs brand has been talked about, let's leave that off this thread please.