2012 Thread for Discussion on other MLS Teams [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. It seems like an isolated incident of someone acting like an idiot. Basically, anyone with a job that comes in contact with the public, whether you are a public sector employee or working the counter at Tim Hortons, you pretty much need to be bilingual. That was one of the sticking points in the 60s and 70s, when single-language speakers (usually Francophones) were limited in the kinds of jobs they could get.

There used to be all kinds of crazy stuff going on in the 70s, with separatists and quasi-terrorist groups and all that, and today, most of the hard-core Francophones are older and a lot less relevant than they used to be. Most people under 50 are more accepting that not everyone will speak both French and English, especiallly those who come from other places. Part of being a modern, cosmopolitan, multi-cultural city is recognizing this, and not taking offence when someone doesn't address you in your preferred language.

I was there fairly recently and in my unscientific survey, I heard English just as much as French when listening to random chatter. If you go to a bar, restaurant or store, they might address you in French first, but if need be, they will switch to English with no attitude whatsoever. 20 or 30 years ago, it was much more common to have the attitude of the "T" employee, but not so much anymore.

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird. Surprised the team isn't comping him with a subway pass? You work in the city, you kind of expect it. Had no trouble with subway employees not speaking English in Montreal. The ticket vending ATMs have English too (but take only cash or those funky debit cards with chips).

Does he speak English? Maybe he speaks neither French nor English.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite a few MLS games last night, and the Revs/Crew 0-0 result continues to be the only scoreless game in the last 3 weeks (or whatever it's been).

5 Western Conference teams hosted games last night but only one of them actually won. LA with a surprising 3-2 win at RSL last night, while San Ho won at Colorado, and Chivas beat Montreal at home. TFC with a pretty surprising tie at Houston last night 3-3, while RBNY tied at Vancouver 1-1 and SKC tied at Seattle by the same score.

4. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I was recently in Paris, and had the same experience. The Parisians were gracious, friendly, and willing to try speaking English, even though as a group they were not as anglophone as, say, the Germans.

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Germans will need the English to keep the proles in line when they move their war by economics to the US and occupy our cities.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Disciplinary Committee will be taking a long, hard look at that dive by Gordon.

8. Revolution909

Revolution909 Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Rumford, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Building on this (and I don't know if I should have put this in the Toronto Game thread)

For all the praise we heap on Toronto for their fan base, stadium, budget, and big name DP acquisitions - Isn't moving Mariner to coach after he seemingly failed to find the right players to make this team succeed in his other position very similar to the promotions the Revs made last off season?

RevsFanDan repped this.
  9. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It always sounded to me like Winter was the one making the majority of the decisions, regardless of the titles.

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It raises some questions for me. While not as unproven as Heaps was a couple of months ago, I think he's still a big question mark as a head coach. The main points on his coaching/management resume are good results working under Nicol and a distinct lack of results at Plymouth Argyle and Toronto, so far.

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caps waive Boxall.

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even the article itself says that "yes, it's the Sun but ... "

So yes, it's the Sun but ... if this were to happen, the Revs would move up to #1 in the allocation list.

13. Revolution909

Revolution909 Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Rumford, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who would that 'most likely' put is in line to get? (I'm looking for speculation here)

Bedoya, as mentioned earlier? Or would he most likely be a target for Rangers to keep because of his age and his (most likely) low salary?

14. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I read in the YA Forum there's a FA/owners/whatever vote on whether Rangers (since they're now technically a "new" team) stay in the SPL next season or get bumped to Division 3 on July 4th. If they get bumped down, there's no way Bedoya stays, and I think MLS makes the most sense for him - he'd get more of a chance at getting back into the USMNT picture Stateside than he would in Norway/Sweden/Denmark/Austria etc.

The only other notable US player who is having a tough go of it abroad right now (from reading the YA forum) is Zak Whitbread, who was just released by Norwich City - but he's famously injury-prone and I'm not sure he's subject to the allocation order.

15. Revolution909

Revolution909 Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Rumford, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Wiki Zak has never been capped beyond the U20 level. So he wouldn't be subject to allocation order, correct?

If I was an MLS club, I would make a bid to numerous Rangers players. They are bound to be affordable, and where else would they be headed? The Championship?

I heard about that vote on the status of Rangers. I thought it was the other SPL clubs voting. I don't know why they wouldn't vote them back in - doesn't their profitability depend on it? (based on the TV contracts - which are primarily based on the Old Firm rivalry)

16. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's also Dominic Cervi, a 6-foot-6, 25-year old goalkeeper who was last seen picking splinters out of his ass at Celtic Park. He's now a free agent, and Matty Reis IS 37...

Steve Cherundolo, perhaps? Maybe DaMarcus Beasley has a change of heart at Puebla?

17. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obligatory question as to where we are in the allocation order?

18. alter

alter Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thanks; you've got to dress before you can pick out splinters and there's a reason why he isn't doing either with Celtic.

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're behind Vancouver only.

20. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they get to pick returning US PLAYERS!!?? Blasphemy!

21. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Not that there's a huge pool of quality, but if a Canadian National Team player signed with MLS, would they be subject to the same allocation process?

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated Standings (PPG basis) through Week 16.

Code:
    Eastern Conference[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]RANK  TEAM              G    W    L    T    PTS    PPG    GD[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]1.    SKC*            15    9    4    2    29  1.93    +5[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]2.    RBNY*            16    9    4    3    30  1.88    +7[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]3.    DC*              17    9    5    3    30  1.76  +9[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]4.    Fire*            15    7    5    3    24  1.60 +1[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]5.    Crew*          14    5    5    4    19  1.36  -1[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]6.    Houston      15    5    5    5    20  1.33  -3[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]7.    Revs            15    5    7    3    18  1.20    0[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]8.    Montreal        16    5    8    3    18  1.13    -2[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]9.    Philly          13    3    8    2  11    0.85    -3[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]10.  TFC            13    1  10    2    5  0.38  -15

Code:
    Western Conference[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]RANK  TEAM              G    W    L    T    PTS    PPG    GD[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]1.    San Jose*        16  10    3    3    33  2.06  +12[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]2.    RSL*            17  10    5    2    32  1.88  +9[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]3.    Vancouver*      16    7    4    5    26  1.63    -1[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]4.    Seattle*        16    7    5    4    25  1.56    +3[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]5.    Rapids*          15    6    8    1    19  1.27    0[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]6.    LA              16    6    8    2    20  1.25    -1[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]7.    Chivas          16    5    7    4    19  1.19    -7[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]8.    Portland        14    4    6    4    16  1.14    -3[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia]9.    FCD              17    3    9    5    14  0.82  -10[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia]

*- Currently in the playoffs.[/CODE][/FONT]

23. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe so. I think the rule is USMNT players and players who left on transfer fees

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official trade yesterday was for Philly's first pick in the draft next year, allocation money and a swap in the order.

Also a list of players that have already signed, but can't play till the window opens.

Both stories here.

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States