2012 Thread for Discussion on other MLS Teams [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to start up the season thread since the season does start this weekend.

Not sure who's watching this CCL but TFC showing some offensive prowess and defeating LA right now 2-1 in the 60th.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA ties in Toronto, putting them in a great position for the second leg with the two away goals.

3. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Man, that was a fun game.

4. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Agreed. Great pace, skill and goals.

Gotta love Seattle's new kit. Sure to be a classic retro kit someday. Not pretty.

5. bayernrevs

bayernrevs Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Mass.
    Sounders impressive in their CCL win over Santos Laguna. They are going to destroy the Revs this year.

6. Joeyfitzclick

Joeyfitzclick Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Newport RI
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Watching the CCL last night really shows how far behind the Revs really are here in 2012.

The Revs playing teams like Seattle & LA is like Doncaster Rovers having to play Man Utd or City every weekend and expecting to compete. We are truly a full league behind these guys and if Boston were in England we would be a Lg 1 or Championship side. Figuratively of course because I'm not even sure we are a Championship team on the literal side.

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be smart to wait until we've played a few games against MLS teams in the regular season before you relegate us to the PDL ;). I'm not saying your assertions may not be true but frankly just how well the Revs will do this year is still--TBD.

Rather than bash where we are I personaly finding it more satisfying to think of the 2012 roster as at the beginning of a major rebuilding process. Lots of kinks to be worked out and holes to be identified and filled. My expectations for this years results are low but I think we could be in for some pleasant surprises as the season progresses. I think this roster is an active work in progress and we may continue to see significant pieces added as the season goes along.

I think it's going to be a fun season watching this team emerge of the pit they dug over the past three seasons.

8. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just one man's opinion, but we are rapidly approaching the point where the biggest games MLS teams play will be CCL contests. Fans are starting to get it that this is the competition where the elite MLS clubs get to face off against each other and Mexico's best.

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad we started the rebuilding process. 3 years late.

10. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    This looked like fun: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTx1tp2a6f0&"]Toronto FC March to the Match for CCL v. LA Galaxy - YouTube[/ame]

11. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Especially since in MLS, rebuilding can and should take only 1 year if the FO is competent. I mean, Martin Rennie and Aron Winter completely gutted and rebuilt their respective teams in the past year; the Revs have also but the difference is Vancouver/Toronto replaced their fringe/nonproductive players with respected veterans/DPs, and we replaced our veterans/DP with completely unproven commodities.

12. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Not This. The pit could just as easily get deep this year as the league overall has improved.

13. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhat agreed.

It's absolutely possible to put together a rapid turnaround in MLS. And for all we know, the Revs may be in the middle of one right now.

Veterans and DPs don't always work out. Unproven commodities don't always fail.

I'll say it again... for the most part, I like what the Revs have done this winter. I don't think they're finished, but I think they could conceivably be a much improved team by the end of this season.

14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree with all of the above.

15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you are saying, and I like what VAN and TOR have done, but they haven't won anything yet. So to suggest their rebuild it complete is a bit premature.

16. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. This is the problem with calling results on major makeovers of big name signings before the season. How many big name signings in MLS have been busts? How often do preseason polls miss the mark? I know it's fun to speculate but it's prob wise to temper speculation until we have some objective data. OTOH, as MLS has matured the big name signings have been more consistently effective and the ability to know how good teams will be going into the season has become more transparent.

But enough talk. Let the games begin.

17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Season 17: Ready or not, here it comes
    March 9, 2012
    Greg Lalas
    MLSsoccer.com

18. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    So three teams have been turned down in their offers for Juan Agudelo, two Western Conference and one Eastern Conference. It's been rumored that NYRB want far too much for him.

It'll be interesting to see what happens here. There's obviously a problem in chemistry between Henry and Agudelo, and possibly Cooper as well. Do they move Agudelo to try and appease Henry, wait until after Olympic qualifying in the hopes that Agudelo can raise his value, or continue to bench an obvious talent?

19. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Anyone here want Agudelo? What would we realistically give up?

20. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's raw but better than anything we have and hopefully lots of upside as well. You know they would want at least Benny though, if not more, and we can't afford to part with that.

21. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Yes. Unfortunately, I think there's no way we could get him without completely jeopardizing our rebuild. It would likely take a couple first round picks or Feilhaber/Rowe. I don't like the idea of giving up any of those pieces.

22. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Interesting. I was thinking that the first name on the block would be SJ. What I am reading on the RB board seems to say that if they could control the midfield a little better, they could get balls to their forwards, and from there, the rest would be gravy. If SJ played instead of McCarty, say, it's possible that he might make a big difference for them.

It only makes sense if you feel like NY (Backe) is willing to gamble a lot to make things happen during the Thierry Henry era (so as not to get fired.)

So hypothetically then, SJ and Moreno, and a foreign player spot for a year, for McCarty and Agudelo. Yes, I think it makes New York better this year at least, and no, I don't think NY is interested.

23. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Moreno? We can't trade a guy on loan.

Trading SJ and anyone not named Benny/Kelyn for just Agudelo would be an unbelievable deal for the Revs, forget throwing in McCarty, who I think you're underestimating greatly. Revs would be giving up a guy in his last year or two for a 19 year old who plays for the USMNT and has drawn attention of some major European clubs. No chance NY goes for that. They'll sit on him and hope to sell him come summer, hopefully after a big Olympics/WCQ. They've got a 3rd DP signing available which they'll use on a CM this summer I think.

I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think there's any way sensible way we could get him.

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I'm sure you're right.

“We are very excited to have found another quality striker to add to our team,” said FC Dallas President and CEO Doug Quinn. “It is a testament to the immediate impact Fernando Clavijo has made on our club. We're looking forward to seeing Luis with the rest of the team for what promises to be an exciting season here in Dallas.”

option 1. laugh
    option 2. cry