2012 Tampa Bay Rowdies Attendance Discussion

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by speedcake, Jan 29, 2012.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, if I was "enraged," I wouldn't be quite so nice.

Exasperated? Yeah. Incredulous? Yeah. In disbelief that someone's mind is impervious to things that are obvious? Yeah.

But not enraged.

I am happy to provide you with Monday entertainment, though. :)

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WSW is one of my favorite Mobsters. An original, through and through. :)

Anyway, so when thinking about attendance differences its pretty simple. 500 to 1k more paid tickets per game is a big, big deal for a team that only averages 3k ish (maybe not even that much this year)

Even at $10 per ticket average (lowballing, to make up for the giveaways or something) that's 5 to 10k more $$$ per game. So $70 to $140k more per season just in ticket revenue above what they currently bring in. Again, that's a lowball figure. Rowdies tickets range pretty wide, between $10 or so to mid 20s per ticket.

Increase attendance by 1000 to 1500 more fans per game? In a SSS designed to hold 5 or 6k and with full control of parking receipts, concessions sales, etc?

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now you see the formula that has to happen for this to work.

MLS realized more than a decade ago that it had to get into its own yards, both to properly present the sport to an audience that had grown more sophisticated and (more importantly) to capture and retain as much of the revenue spent on-site as possible.

The lower levels have to embrace this, too (obviously, all the numbers are smaller). If everybody had a Blackbaud Stadium, our lower levels would be far more stable, with more clubs in less danger of disappearing over the course of a winter.

Of course, as we've seen, it's neither simple nor inexpensive to get this type of thing done. It took years and public opposition and lots of money and partnerships to get stadiums done in Salt Lake City and Dallas and Houston and they're still trying in DC.

Pittsburgh's yard - should it ever actually get built - looks like a very good example of what can be done on a small scale, but it's taken years to get to this point. And I don't believe they've broken ground yet.

4. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've hit the nail on the head, Kenn!

As far as I know, there's been no club (in MLS or Lower Division) that has folded after building their own venue in Post-World Cup 1994. Once a club builds a Stadium in their community, it cements their rightful place and they'd be pretty hard to ignore (depending on the location).

In the case of the Rowdies: because we don't have a "proper" venue for soccer & the fact that they've moved once already, people either lose interest &/or confidence that they'll be around for long. I could argue that had the Original Rowdies built their own proper venue, before their final year in 1993, they probably would've still been around. Of course, there are variables to this, including how they would have been run, their Marketing, What league they would've played in, etc., etc.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are lots of things that people say would have happened. If the Mutiny had been called the Rowdies, they'd still be around (still would have needed an owner and the lease with TSA was onerous), as soon as this new team got the old name back, things would greatly improve, lots of things.

Nobody was thinking along the lines of their own soccer stadiums in 1993. And Mrs. Corbett tried for months to sell the team, but found only the one taker (a group out of Jacksonville) that pulled out in February 1994 and scuttled the deal.

World Cup '94 really did change things, as did the subsequent start of MLS. Two of the seven teams that played in the APSL in 1993 still exist today (Vancouver and Montreal), both in MLS. They added Seattle to replace Tampa Bay in 1994 and we know the story there. But none of those three teams built their own stadiums until the Impact opened Stade Saputo in 2008. (Vancouver's Swangard Stadium was an appropriate venue for them while they were in D2.)

I am not sure Mrs. Corbett had the funds - or the ability to raise them or convince the city to chip in - for a soccer-specific stadium (years before the term would be coined). It would have been a visionary thing to do, a risky thing to do, six years before Lamar Hunt (left with no other choice) built in Columbus. The Virginia Beach SportsPlex opened about that same time, the type of venue that might have been appropriate in Tampa - had someone had the ability to get it built.

In other words, can't really blame her, because it would have been fairly unrealistic. A fantasy, and a nice one to speculate on. But I don't think it's anything but hindsight.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on how you define the aforementioned Virginia Beach SportsPlex, I guess. It was built primarily for soccer, though it wasn't built by the Mariners, who are no longer with us.

And the Indiana Invaders are no longer part of the PDL despite building a complex in South Bend. I don't know exactly what their deal is. (They do still have a team in USL's Super 20 League.)

7. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I meant a venue that sticks out like Blackbaud, Home Depot Center, or even Columbus Crew Stadium. Something that'd be considered a local landmark.

8. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the SPBC will be operating it for another five years. Nestor says "that's a timeframe we're looking at," which doesn't necessarily mean they'll be there all five years.

I would take the under, personally, but that's just me.

10. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Im taking the "under" too.

11. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sincerely hope you both are correct. This club will likely never get off the ground in any meaningful way if we insist on playing in St. Pete.

And I don't get why Pinellas County fans cry when we say that. MOST of them don't live in or even near downtown St. Pete and for many of them it would be barely further to drive to a stadium in many parts of Tampa as it is to get to Al Lang currently.

so shutty, imo

12. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    You won't hear me say that, and I live in Pinellas. I've stated many times (on many boards) that I'll go anywhere, as long as the Rowdies have their own stadium. Stability is crucial to the franchise remaining, and that's anywhere in Tampa Bay.

13. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree but I will play devil's advocate, what will happen when Rays move to Tampa, probably channelside area, then Rowdies will be only team in St. Pete. I am willing to give them a chance to grow, look at Seattle they had around the same numbers and St. Pete can't no way be compared to Seattle.

14. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Apples and Oranges with that. There's no fan support for the Rays bc of fairweather fans. No different than for a fringe sport like soccer in the bay area. To get butts in the seats will take winning, and word of mouth advertising. It has to be a grassroots campaign. So far so good, but it can be improved. Baby steps.

15. MadAdam4

MadAdam4 Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my take on the which side of the bay argument.
    -----------------------
    Scenario 1: The Rays stay at Tropicana Field. The Rowdies want to build a stadium (assuming that is still their goal). There are three realistic options. (1) Renovate Al Lang Stadium into a SSS. (2) Build a stadium in the Channelside area. (3) Stick with their original Town-n-Country plan.

I am a firm believer that for a team to garner good support from supporters and "ultras", it needs to be in a urban, downtown setting. The original plan for the stadium off of Waters Avenue would not be conducive to that type of environment. I would attribute half of the success or failure of the stadium environment due to the surroundings (other half is the supporters groups). Look at FC Dallas Stadium for example. It's a stadium that was built off of a toll-road 45-minutes from the center of downtown. What kind of crowd do they get at those games? That's right, all the "soccer moms" and casual type of fans. They would attract a much better demographic if they had built the stadium in downtown Dallas rather than way out in the suburbs. That is what I would fear if the Rowdies still want to build their "Tomato Patch" stadium.

And to address the Al Lang situation, I believe that, were a plan to build a stadium in the Channelside area falls through, it would be in the teams benefit to stay in St. Petersburg. We're a fairly new team, playing in the 2nd tier of American soccer, playing in an old baseball stadium that had been vacant for a while. You can't tell me that if the Rowdies were to renovate/reconstruct Al Lang Stadium into a Portland-esque SSS, we wouldn't have increased attendance in the short-run or long-run.

-----------------------
    Scenario 2: The Rays move to downtown Tampa.

Personally, I say that if the Rays do make the switch to Tampa and don't move to a completely different area, the Rowdies ought to stay in St. Petersburg regardless of stadium plans. The long-run attendance might be hurt by it, but I would be willing to take the gamble to keep some type of professional sports team playing in Pinellas County. You would guaranteed have increased attendance in the short-run if they renovated Al Lang Stadium into a beautiful waterfront stadium and were the only sports team playing in the St. Petersburg area.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Channelside area ought to be location priority #1 for a new stadium for the Rowdies. Plain and simple.

16. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good ideas, bit rumors are that Vidik owners of Lightning is buying land around Channelside as well as a unspecified owner which I highly doubt has anything to do with Rowdies. St. Pete downtown is exanding like crazy lots of new clubs,restaurants are opening, they need to do a couple gimmick ideas and it will be a success.

17. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Rays move to Tampa, I'd almost be tempted to have a chat with the mayor of St. Pete about doing something with the Trop. Perhaps open up the Juice Box, give it something akin to the BC Place treatment with money St. Pete was willing to contribute to a potential Rays stadium. I do recall they're willing to kick in for a new stadium for the Rays. Maybe they could give a little to keep a pro sports presence in St. Pete by backing an MLS bid or move?

In a potential renovation, you could eliminate the 300s and leave the "lower bowl". I've figured out by comparing the seating chart w/gate locations to Google Earth that the current left field is due north. Build a new press box down the third base line, with new sideline stands and extra luxury boxes in RF, and a new end stand or even open end in LF. Then cover the stands like a proper SSS, and replace the AstroTurf with a real grass pitch.

18. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    If the Rays leave for Tampa (or anywhere else) the city would redevelop that site into something other than a stadium. The Rowdies would need to put up the money to convert the stadium and that just isn't in the cards. Converting the Trop like you envision is about as likely as the Silverdome conversion.

Macsen repped this.
  19. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So 'Ultras' as you call them can't drive their cars to just north of the airport, but can drive to downtown? Or do these Ultras live downtown already and are on house arrest and can only be a maximum of a mile from their homes? Location of a stadium has no bearing on the type of supporters who come to the game. That has to do with marketing, which this club does precious little of to anyone.

The point is moot anyway, because I don't think they have any stadium plans anyway. I just wanted to point out the fallacy of the idea that the Tomato Patch would have been a bad site. As far as location in the Bay Area, it is about as centrally located as you can get short of building it in the middle of the Bay.

20. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    I don't any specific "fans" go specifically to areas to see teams play. Build it, and they will come from all over.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Rays will be talking about moving for many years, but it's not going to be easy to just extricate themselves from their lease or to get a stadium built on the Tampa side.

Either renovating ALF into a "Portland-type SSS" or "doing something with the Trop" would cost (likely) millions of dollars. Portland's reno cost $31M+, but we're not talking about taking a stadium the size of PGE Park and making it a 20k SSS. Would have to cost several million and I'm still not convinced that it would be a guarantee that people would flock because they'd be "Pinellas' only pro sports team" if the Rays leave.

And Tropicana Field is 22 years old now. Structurally, you might be able to pop the top off, but it was never intended for that. I don't know if the insides are weatherproof. If St. Pete lost the Rays, they'd have a situation like they had for the first seven years of the building, but they're not going to get the Lightning back. The Storm, maybe, but that's a handful of games a year.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the product is compelling. If the team matters to the populace. And if the front office knows how to sell. There's no magic tractor beam that pulls people "from all over" for lower-division soccer.

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomato Patch will not happen, NIMBYS killed the project.

24. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Thanks for that oh so timely update.

25. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My concern would be that the many years of the Rays struggling to draw more fans to St. Pete, whether or not you can directly compare the sports of baseball and soccer and regardless of the actual reasons, has permanently given that part of the Tampa Bay area a black eye of sorts.

Maybe in time a soccer team could draw respectable attendance, if the management got everything right and had a little luck sprinkled in. But to me, alot of people seem to have made up their mind about whether or not St. Pete is a good pro sports destination and that decision doesn't seem very positive for any other pro sports teams who take a look at making a home there.

The safest bet would then be to play in Hillsborough County and as close to the downtown Tampa area as possible so as to be as centrally located as possible to the greatest number of potential fans.

Renovating the Trop doesn't seem like a very good idea, even if we were to get into MLS. And renovating Al Lang doesn't seem like a very good idea either once you realize that the place is extremely old and would need a major, near complete rebuild rather than a mere "add on" of some stands.

If the Rowdies are going to spend that kind of money, IMO they may as well build from scratch in Hillsborough.