2012 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Feb 29, 2012.

1. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we are over cap like I was thinking:

As it stands today, the Rapids' roster is capped with 29 players accounting for the allotted MLS salary budget. And, all six available International slots are also accounted for. Which means, the team will need to create salary space AND either acquire additional International slots via trade, or make a move with the current international players in order to add Henao and Edu.

http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/2012/04/how-latest-additions-may-affect-roster

2. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    Well you got to like that the Rapids are trying to improve despite constraints. In the past it was like "we're at the cap so we'll just have to live with what we got for the rest of the season".

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The roster issues match what I figured out on my blog last night. Interesting note about the salary cap issues though. We can't just trade allocation money or draft picks to get the international slots we need, we need to get some salary off the roster.

Janniere, Amarikwa, I'm sorry to tell you you have been eliminated. ;)

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting stat I just discovered. Tony Cascio has more goals, minutes, shots, and shots on goal in the first 7 games this season than Macoumba Kandji had in his entire Rapids career (counting only league games).

Still though, Cascio has a long way to go to achive the club legend status of Kandji. :D

5. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am leaning back towards j smith. Both janniere and Q are the lowest paid players as of last year's union salary #s

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, since I wrote that I remembered that only the top 20 players count towards the cap, so moving Q and Janniere won't help the salary cap issue. I still think Janniere will be moved/cut to free up his international spot but if we really need salary cap relief players like Smith and Joyce seem the most likely cuts.

7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any chance JL's new contract gave them any space?
    I think other sports have done this to create cap room but MLS is pretty secretive, so not sure what odds are

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt his new contract dropped his salary from last year's 165K.

9. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was reading MLS roster rules and if we go with one or 2 under roster limit then those salaries turn into allocation money to use towards other players.

What if we gave JL new contract paying him $170-5K for next four years but dropped him to $150K for this year. Then cut Q and we have cleared about $50-60K* towards salary cap?

*cutting a second would add another $40K

Salary & Budget:

Players occupying roster spots 1-20 count against the club’s 2011 salary budget of $2,675,000, and are referred to collectively as the club’s Salary Budget Players.
    Roster spots 19 and 20 are not required to be filled, and teams may spread their salary budget across only 18 Salary Budget Players. A minimum salary budget charge will be imputed against a team’s salary budget for each unfilled senior roster slot below 18.

Players occupying roster spots 21-30 do not count against the club’s salary budget, and are referred to collectively as the club’s Off-Budget Players (maximum of 10 per team).
    All Generation adidas players are Off-Budget players.
    Players occupying roster spots 1-24 will earn at least $42,000 in 2011.
    Players occupying roster spots 25-30 will earn at least $32,600 in 2011. (read this jumped to $40K for 2012)
    Clubs may elect to leave up to two of these roster spots (25-30) vacant and use $35,000 for each empty spot as allocation money.
    Clubs may sign up to two Home Grown Players to Generation adidas contracts.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering we're currently 2 over the limit that's going to be difficult. Which 4 would we cut (well 3, since Wallace doesn't count on season-ending IR)?

11. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nane janniere yamada

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of which would open a spot in our top 20 players. I don't think you can start the season counting a player then move him to the 10 spots that don't count.

13. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    So you couldn't cut from the bottom, slide the new guys in, and then demote someone out of the top 20?

With the international slot and cap considerations, I still place my bet on Smith being on the outs.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so but even if you can that wasn't Steve's suggestion. He was saying to cut players from the bottom, not replace them, then demote two senior players so they didn't count against the cap. I'm pretty sure the league doesn't allow that king of salary cap twisting.

15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I read that differently. Last 2 slots (29-30) do not have to be filled. If team doesn't use these, the salary becomes allocation towards the remaining roster.

Sorry, I didn't go pull in his MLS roster rules but it was right there about last 2 slots.

Clubs may elect to leave up to two of these roster spots (25-30) vacant and use $35,000* for each empty spot as allocation money.
    *2011 numbers

So with Q (we know from salary last year he was in lower 10 slot)- you save the $40K salary and then (probably prorated) get $35K+ to use as allocation towards someone else.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I see my confusion. I thought he was referring to the part about not having to fill spots 19 & 20.

17. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totoro repped this.
  18. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
  19. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Henao is available for selection this weekend:
    There's a short Q&A with him, too.

20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow are we lacking in the summer friendly category. Maybe we can get with KC and SL to get someone decent to tour through our 3 cities.

If not maybe Colorado Fox's/ Our SG's will agree to freindly against Rapids;)

21. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Now that Stevenage has made the playoffs and have taken some pressure off Gary Smith, I'm going to go back to half-joking that the Rapids will bring in Stevenage for the Smith-Bravo Football-Futbol grudge match. It will also be a charity event as fans can "bet" money on the Rapids or Smith, with the money being donated to charity in the name of the winner. Ultimately it will fall through when Stevenage asks the Rapids to help cover travel expenses.

22. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Yeah and Pablo will cure himself and play for Boro because Smith is after all a coach that understands adult professionals. I like this game. :D

23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal actually has a good article on Rapids and their Transition/struggle under OP, comments from several players.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110...reakdown-colorado-continues-to-adapt-to-a-new
    The internal struggle between old and new appeared inevitable at the time of Pareja's appointment. The new era dawned with an influx of new players championed by Pareja and no small smattering of holdovers accustomed and suited to a more direct style of play. The two groups have meshed fitfully due in large part to the fact that the combined force still lacks some of the pieces required to implement Pareja's vision in its totality.

24. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Colfax driving west from Downtown towards Federal, right across from Sports Authority Field, there is a fullsize billboard for the Denver Outlaws of MLL. How come the freaking OUTLAWS can afford such a billboard, but the Rapids can't?

25. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its always going to be that way...