2012 San Diego State Aztecs (R)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Nacional Tijuana, May 28, 2012.

1. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    That was so fun last night!!! Tale of two halves and while Cal was athletic and skilled, they weren't consistently creating dangerous chances with their buildup and play. Cal had their best soccer early with some passes leading to Iffy getting wide. After they scored tho that was the last we really saw of the dangerous crosses. Once SDSU got rolling their possession and passing were game changers. They created multiple dangerous looks with their passing.
    Great game, so fun and after reading about Hurst's adversity, so fun to see her get the goal.

On to UCLA tomorrow. Terribly terribly talented. A roster just filled with talent, pace and skill. Will no doubt be a stern test for SDSU. Excited to see how we match up with the best.

And let me just add, this NCAA system is terrible. It's time for the college presidents to pony up and approve a national seeding system. I know everyone has complained...maybe it's time to start writing our respective college presidents.

2. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly is terrible about it? I admit these ranking systems seem nothing but subjective at times, but absolute fairness seems impossible. Is regionalising things the big problem?

3. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I think they should seed teams 1-64 like the basketballs do. Top seed plays #64, #2 plays #63 and so on. As it is you have three of the top 6 RPI teams playing before the Final Four (Stanford, UCLA, SDSU). And for SDSU to play Cal in the second round is terrible. Cal shouldn't of even played Pepperdine in the first round. There will always be complaints about seeding and matchups (see March Madness every year) but we need to spread out the tournament and the good teams.

BUT...everyone is good at this point. Every game is good right now. It would just be nice not to have it so regionalized.

4. paltrysum

paltrysum Member

May 19, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy to see SDSU advance. Had the chance to see them play earlier this year and they play a great brand of soccer. Friesen has them playing a skillful, possession style. Very fun to watch.

As for the seeding, you're just not going to see that happen. The geographical structure of the tournament saves money. Remember this is a non-revenue sport. The bottom line prevents them from changing the format.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  5. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    No I get why it is the way it is, I am just bemoaning the reality of it.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  6. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, interesting, fun to watch season, Aztecs. Unfortunately 3-0 loss to UCLA. Problems throughout. We got too physical and emotional at times, including the GK. The first half was worse than the second half. But the second half wasn't great either. Too far gone by that time. Frantic and messy.

But great turnout, spirited fans, wonderful weather. Wish I had pushed through the crowd and met some of the players.