2012 San Diego State Aztecs (R)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Nacional Tijuana, May 28, 2012.

1. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Game tonight against a Stanford team (at Santa Clara) who seems to have found their footing a bit. Game will be streamed on the Santa Clara site at 5 p.m.
    Allwhitekit.com highlighted the match as one to watch today.
    Go Aztecs!

2. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0, a tough loss to an excellent team, not a home game for Stanford but only 20 miles away. Sunday is my other alma mater (BA Santa Clara, MS SDSU), I don't know if I want the Brontecs or the Azcos to win.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  3. paltrysum

paltrysum Member

May 19, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SDSU played very well and could have easily tied the game had they made the most of their chances. Very impressive team. Nice ball movement and technical ability. They went toe to toe with Stanford for significant stretches of the game, showing great ability to possess the ball. Each player really seemed to know her role and they worked well together. If the Aztecs can continue to improve, they could potentially go far in the tournament.

4. Time&Space

Time&Space Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    This program has shown great promise thus far. The loss to Stanford obviously is not bad at all. If they bounce back tomorrow, then they will be considered for real. Is the game televised online anywhere?

5. NorCalKeeperDad

May 16, 2009
    I believe you'll be able to watch here:
    http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/santaclara.portal?mode=link#

My guess is we'll be hoping for a different outcome than you (we're big SCU fans), but I hope you enjoy the game - always nice to be able to watch when you can't make it.

cpthomas repped this.
  6. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Well in my eyes I look at the weekend for the Aztecs as a good one and a bad one, depending on my mood.
    I watched the Stanford game and was so impressed with SDSU. They aren't far off a top echelon team. (And I know and recognize that this is not the Stanford of years' past. They are quite good but not the juggernaut we have seen. Still, all that talent.....) SDSU was dangerous, composed and of course defended well. It looked as tho in the first half they sat back a bit and then in the second went after it. They were unlucky not to get an equalizer, altho a tie would've been more fair than the loss. Stanford's free kick goal was off a horrible horrible call by the official. I'm usually pretty unbiased about officiating, (says everyone all the time) but it was a really bad call.

But again, the gap in the past between these top 5 teams and SDSU has been noticeable, but Friday not at all. I've been watching SDSU play well for years, so it's nice to see it all click.

Sunday was a gut stabber. SDSU had the lead and two point blank chances to make it 2-0 in the final 20 minutes and didn't convert. You could see their legs dying and that 2-0 lead would've been HUGE. As it was, it stayed 1-0, and after the Aztec starting GK (who is just big time) was subbed for an injury, the backup gave up a saveable ball from SCU. Dagger.
    OT and 2OT was just defend defend defend as the Aztec legs were done and SCU was motivated and pressing and talented. So a tie that could've should've would've been a win, but sure glad it wasn't a loss.

Again, SCU is a quality team with tons of talent. (Julie Johnston is just ridiculous) so it is so nice to see SDSU as good or better in that game.

Both were very entertaining games against very good teams.

7. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two more wins ... 3-2 over UC Irvine, the Aztecs shot all over the place 23-6, but on goal was only 5-3. Sunday was a rather one-sided 3-1 win at UC Santa Barbara, shots were 26-5 Aztecs.

Both Wyoming and Air Force play at San Diego this year so I won't get to see SDSU.

9. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And SDSU defeats UNR 3-0 at the Deck. Dominating on shots. The crossbar got into the spirit quite a bit as well.

I hate little kids.

10. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody heading north for the BSU match? I leave for Boise tomorrow midday. Staying at the Courtyard by Marriott downtown. Hopefully this is an easy match. Boise State is in trouble and the Aztecs seem to be breaking PRs.

11. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greetings from a cool, comfy Boise. Aztecs 1-0 Boise State. It was a struggle. We were slow to come around, and we were very physical. That could have been bad. Entertaining match, though, and good facility, if a bit tucked away from the main drag. Looks like all of the other several SDSU supporters are going to Portland. I wish I could.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I hope, that the SDSU/Portland game will be streamed on-line, free? Go here: http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/up.portal#. At least, that's what's indicated there now.

13. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, good call. Most UP matches are, no? Still, I need to make it up there someday. My fave of the traditional powerhouses (though I'm proud of the Aztecs doing so well this season. Change is afoot). :)

14. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Watched online. Didn't look to be the Aztecs best day but to not play well and find a goal is a good result. The team looked tired. I know they are still missing some midfielders so maybe the limited rotation is affecting them. Or they played fine and it just looked so-so online.
    Couldn't really see how the goal was scored, or who scored it. Still waiting on final word from the release.
    On to Portland who did not have to play tonight. I'm thinking maybe SDSU is trying to schedule tough to get mentally and physically ready for tough NCAA weekends. At least, that's what I would do.

Glad that game will be streamed. Video quality and camera work left a little to be desired tonight.
    (But props to Boise St, they looked composed and energized on the field.)
    Go Aztecs!

15. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny thing about the camera, it's dead center and in the pathway of people trying to get into and out of the bleachers. Not much room at all, for the camerawoman or those of us transiting to and fro. Not sure if the camera got knocked around a bit?

I think that's my only big complaint.

16. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Fun game today as Aztecs beat Portland 3-2. SDSU went up early 2-0, on a great build up play leading to a nice slip ball for the first and an absolute golazo from Megan Jurado for the second. SDSU then turned around and gave up 2 to Portland, on a silly foul in the box leading to a PK and then a missed punch out by the GK for a great finish by UP. SDSU hasn't made many errors in the back this year, and those two cost them.
    That seemed to energize Portland for the middle third of the game and I was a bit nervous. However after about 15 min into the second half, SDSU took control again and eventually led to the GW, a great header off a corner.

Portland had some dangerous chances but our GK was up to the task, coming out hard and strong. A bit wild, but a good game and glad we held on for the win. Good mental challenge for the team to respond to. It was pretty fun to see our team out-Portland Portland, with possession and combo play. The Pilots of old played my favorite style of soccer ever. Sinclair and Rapinoe are two of my all time faves (Megan was just other worldly), and it's fun to see SDSU play a similar style.

Great to see Barba back in the lineup after a couple games. Boy is she something.

17. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the pressie says we beat Fresno State 3-1.

Awesome that we're doing this much damage. Glad to see us being agents of change in women's s occer. Makes me all the more nervous for tourney time, though.

18. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Good little read on freshman Victoria Barba. She is one of my favorites and I think will be big time. She reminds me of a Megan Rapinoe....and obviously that's saying something. She is a special one, so technical and reads the game so well. How how how does our national team staff miss on players like this??? Shows that there is something seriously wrong with our system when players this good are getting missed. Won't be missed for long tho I have a feeling.

http://www.abqjournal.com/sports/2012/10/14/barba-makes-impact-at-sdsu.html

19. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wyoming gave us a scare tonight, opening the scoring pretty quickly, but we prevailed 3-1.

21. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get to go to the match vs. AFA, but we won and clinched the MWC title. 3-0 I believe.

22. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I went along with a million other people and it was a beatdown. Fitting end for the team to win the title.
    Host New Mexico on Fri for pride and senior night.
    Conference trny is here next week, Aztecs will play Friday and if they win the semi, move to the final on Sunday.

Happy for the team and program. This is well-deserved. They were the best team in the conference last year and didn't win either trophy so glad they got the crown now. Very fun season.

23. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fairly even, shotswise, but we beat UNM 1-0. Good crowd, great weather! Banner presentation and seniors farewell.

24. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Aztecs didn't look their best tonight but it didn't matter. Still held the ball and produced enough quality looks. Fun to honor the seniors (I love senior nights) and see the team get the trophy for regular season championship.
    On to MWC tourney next week.

25. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States