2012 Race for the White House II: The Two Towers

Discussion in 'Elections' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    They should be angry that the Republican candidates wish to slash taxes on the very wealthy, only modestly cut middle class taxes, cut middle class benefits, and increase the national deficit. You would think that would piss them off.

2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya mean like in 2006?

3. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Katrina and Iraq fatigue.

Of course, it is a silly caveat to make, since elections are always held in the context of, you know, stuff that's happening then.

4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand Q's point; GOP wins when there is nothing going on.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, that, and the likelihood of keeping the House and winning the Senate regardless of what happens in the Presidential race.

6. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point here being that while the Repubs may have devolved into a freak show of an organization when it comes to trying to win a national election, the nation remains divided politically. Don't see that changing any time too soon. Obama could cruise to re-election and the Dems could suffer real losses on Congress. We live in interesting times. Hell, even if Santorum were the nominee, and destroys R turnout based on his personal insanity, there's another election in two years.

7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My personal belief is a lot like Jon Chait's: if the GOP can't win in 2012, the recovering economy will destroy them in 2014 and by 2016 demographics will have forced them to become an acceptable alternative or will relegate them to the dustbin of history.

8. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    While the GOP as we know it may never win another national election, they'll still be, at the very least, a viable super-regional party for the foreseeable future. Even with all the demographic changes and the diminishing value of the culture war, I see the deep red states (basically, the Deep South and the Plains) remaining so for some time.

9. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks to their global warming denying the Plains will look like this soon enough:

[​IMG]

Minus the black guy.

1 person likes this.
  10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I remember somewhere reading that parts of the Plains will become wetter while other parts will become drier. Remember, global warming doesn't mean everywhere becomes Waterworld or Desert.

11. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.borowitzreport.com/2012/...mney-and-santorum-most-voters-choose-suicide/

12. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Karl Rove: How To Beat Obama
    Ignore his spin on events; the rest, the strategic advice for the eventual GOP nominee is a good read.

13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in a hermetically sealed, Rovian world, perhaps this could work.

Just who is the mythical Republican candidate who's supposed to present this message? Rick Santorum? Mitt Romney? I'm sorry, but I just don't see Obama playing the simpleton that Rove seems to think the President is. Whoever he runs against this fall is going to have nothing to bring to the table as regards foreign policy, the way I see it. Sure, Iran's scary, gas prices are high. But Obama has had real foreign policy achievements, and I have faith that the guy will be ready to present his case is a pretty compelling way if the Republican nominee is dumb enough to go there.

Now, a lot can happen between now and November, so who knows? But based on current realities, you've got to be looking through some pretty damned red-state tinted glasses to see foreign policy as an advantage of any sort for the Republican Party in 2012.

14. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Rove is the godfather of neocons. Foreign policy is the only lens through which he sees things.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused:

You're gonna have to defend this assertion. I don't see it AT ALL.

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How MUCH wetter, though? Current levels of population and agriculture are only possible due to the ever-decreasing Ogallala Aquifer. Once that baby dries up, my people are ********ed.

17. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    What I meant was that he was a political godfather to neocons, not an ideological one (which I think you thought I meant).

His mission was to get neocons into positions of power and influence, and he did it by having culture warriors do the lead blocking.

18. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was the parts around the Front Range that got wetter. I can't find the pictogram.

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's your and my fault for tolerating all these hyperconservatives for so long that every Neo/Theo Con in California is moving back to their dustbowl roots and trying to make fly-over country something you really do want to fly over.

20. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? I'm out of touch.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Just came back from vacation, a tour with mostly Australians and Canadians. All rich old white people, in the States 70% of them would be Republicans. They were very cautious about American politics for fear of offending me, then opened up when they got to know me. To a person, they were puzzled that the 2012 Republicans could get more than 10% to 15% of the national vote, given their extremism. I waved my hands a bit about evangelicals which was a partial explanation but it did not suffice.

23. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    For many "real murikkans", being criticized by Aussies and Canadians would be a badge of honor. It fits with the "rest of the world lives in mud huts and hates us because we are so awesome" narrative.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we're Millwall!

1 person likes this.
  25. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Australians tell you to stop being extremist, you listen.