2012 Penn State Thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by kgilbert78, Jan 20, 2012.

1. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Upon further review...you are correct.

2. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have followed the happenings all morning. I live IN Pennsylvania. I did not attend PSU. THe sanctions should have come out stating that they MUST BE LIMITED to the FOOTBALL program. Non revenue sports do not have a participation clasue thats says "so long as we're able to fund them through our Football revenue".

The Emphasis on Football in college has gone waaaay overboard. It's one of the reasons, as stated by Emmert, that we have such a demagogery surrounding it. Knocking it down a few pags across the entire NCAA would probsbly be a "good" thing....

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NCAA pretty much said that they can't. But bankrupt is bankrupt. If they have no money, they cannot pay for the other sports. There is almost no sports revenue other than football at PSU. Do you really think 110,000 people will pay $70 a pop to see what will certainly become essentially a Div II program for the foreseeable future. It will be 2020 before they have a full recruiting class again. I won't. If only because I'd be giving money to the NCAA. Personally, I'd fold the whole athletic program *right now* and take the hit rather than watch it die the death of a thousand cuts. I think it's 50/50 Penn State even survives as an institution. Wait until the federal research grants dry up. It's already very competetive. Add to that the lawsuits--and there will be no cap. I'm just hoping some of those lawyers go after the Board of Trustees. Surma, the former vice-chair took home about the same from US Steel last year than Paterno got for his whole pension. Lawyers + $$$ = sharks and blood.

4. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way.

PA Folk will NOT let PSU die a death of 1000 cuts... the ALumni will rally behind the call.. WE ARE... and Happy Valley becomes happy again.. You're talking abvout the death of a whole community.. not just the institution.... Penn State is ...... State College...and Thousands of People rely on its existenec to make a living...

Having said that... America has such a weird sense of "justice".... How do we jump to closing down medical research based on the actions of a sports team? Unless you can show a specific link of advantage between the 2 things.. it is completely mis guided.... How did the medical research community benefit from the Football team success.. and how were they complicit in "covering up" behaviors in order to keep the advantage...

A question that should be answered before you start clsoing up shop... because the answer is .. they didn't know anything about it..

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not a matter of what should happen and what is right. It's a matter of what *will* happen. I wish it were otherwise. But it is not. I'm an alum. I'm not giving until and unless the adminstration and the board of trustees is replaced. And maybe not even then. I was a season ticket holder since 1984. A 1978 grad. My born-and-raised in Columbus wife bleeds blue and white. My brother and sister are grads as well. I'm done. We're done. I am going to the Ohio State game--but to say good bye.

6. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Hararea repped this.
  7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Wow, really nicely written words from Warming and pretty much addressed all the issues.

I still think the fines and the revenue loss with hurt the program's ability to grow, particularly in regards to the facilities upgrades Hax has discussed, but it's reassuring to see that it won't hurt the team's operating budget during the next few years.

(In a few years it could impact the budget if it takes a long time for football to create the same amount of revenue as before, but that bridge should be crossed later.)

8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My prediction is that the day after probation ends you will see massive cuts in all Penn State athletics. That is assuming nothing more damaging comes out in the various trials which would cause the NCAA to act further, which they have reserved the right to do. But if I were a parent right now, I'd tell my child to avoid Penn State or transfer, athlete or no athlete. I love my alma mater dearly. But the potential risk to career is not worth it. Penn State is a very good school. But there are hundreds of very good schools in this country. There are very few things that exist at Penn State that you could not find somewhere else. When you have media thinking and stating that overturning a news van is a riot and that it involved the entire student body, while ignoring the fact that the same student body runs THON and all wore VT colors at the spring game after the shootings there, for example, well no Penn State grad is going to get a fair shake. When you are spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for an education, best to get one without a stain on the diploma. It's not fair. But it is the way it is. Some places won't care--the NFL for one. But some will.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  9. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I'm a Penn State grad too ... While it will clearly never be in anyway enough, as I have said since I first learned of these crimes, first and foremost as a Penn State alum I am so very sorry and offer my deepest apologies to the innocent victims -- individuals who were so brave in confonting and convicting Sandusky. I will strive to do my part, however feeble it obviously will be in light of these grave crimes, in trying to in someway help atone for these injustices and injuries to the victims.

Despite all the egregious crimes by Sandusky and associated terrible failings on part of Penn State's leadership (a number of which I still want to learn more about from the upcoming trials and other developments), I won't turn my back on Penn State.

I'm part of Penn State. I will always hold in my heart my years as a student and as an athlete at Penn State. I will always remember all that Penn State once stood for, and I will do my best to make it an even better university, if at all possible, someday in the future. So, I have been and will continue to be a part of Penn State, a part of the Penn Stater community, a part of our community's efforts to try to atone as best we can for these terrible crimes and failures, and a part of the Penn Stater effort to prevent such crimes and failures in the future.

I would certainly fully discuss the current sad state of Penn State with my children, and let my children make up their own minds on whether or not they wanted to attend Penn State ... I also would support them if they decided to attend Penn State.

While this is in no way an excuse, many institutions, including our own great nation, have failed egregiously and have learned from and eventually overcome these failures to bring about a better future. I pledge to work towards the same for my Penn State.

10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not turning my back on my Alma mater. I am turning my back on the folks who got us into this mess. And I am turning my back on the NCAA and ESPN. WWE is more honest. I'll always carry my school and Joe in my heart. I'll teach the lessons they taught--but I do not have to tell folks who taught them to me. The values stand on their own. I do not have to wear "the chipmunk" to tell folks so. They'll know who I am by how I live my life and not by a blue and white ribbon. There is no name on my jersey.

Chesco United repped this.
  11. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    "No current sponsored athletic team may be reduced or eliminated to fund this fine."
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/files/20120723/21207236PDF.pdf

12. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    From 2013/14 through 2016/17 - 15 scholarships per year (instead of 25).
    From 2014/15 through 2017/18 - 65 total scholarships in force (instead of 85).
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/files/20120723/21207236PDF.pdf

13. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    you guys are lucky that the PSU soccer games are free. I spend over $200 a year on Akron soccer. Akron soccer is actually in the black despite having the highest paid college coach because they sell out almost 20 camps that are very expensive to attend. Maybe it's time for PSU to start generating revenue from soccer to help cover the lack of football funds.

14. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
  15. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Once they make a better facility for soccer, I'm sure PSU will charge admission. Baseball never charged anything for admission until they built the new ballpark, and it wouldn't surprise me if more sports followed suit to help the athletic department as a whole. I'd gladly pay for season tickets if it got the Jeffrey Field renovations complete, just as I'd spend more on soccer merchandise if the team sold it. Note to Warming: sell more than scarves, people will buy kits and other stuff.

16. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  17. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    It's kinda weird, so they poured concrete and added equipment under the bleachers but it's still open air and not enclosed? I couldn't tell from the photo and I haven't been by Jeffrey Field in a while, perhaps they enclosed just that workout area? But it doesn't look like it from the press release. It's a nice step in the continued renovations, now let's get those lockers and restrooms built!

Edit: never mind, the press release clearly states it's an "outdoor" training facility. So it is tucked under the bleachers but completely open to the elements (which still strikes me as odd).

19. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    • Penn State's Jordan Tyler scores for his U19 team to help them win the US Youth Soccer national championship ... see Tyler's goal at 10:45 into this video:

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  20. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Some interviews and video from the first day of Penn State's preseason ...

21. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  22. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  23. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  24. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Good performance by PSU last night, they finished well and even had a goal called back. The game was a little chippy, which wasn't surprising considering that Stetson beat PSU last year and a little animosity carried over from that. Pitch was immaculate, weather perfect, crowd pathetic (especially after the girls attracted an overflow crowd the night before vs. #1 Stanford). It was nice to see a banner offering support to Warming after the death of his daughter, and great to be back at Jeffrey Field. Julian Cardona scored twice within minutes in the second half to seal the win, a header and fantastic strike from distance, while Mikey Minutillo was active and feisty up top. Emmanuel Martin earned the clean sheet but wasn't really tested, while some other newcomers impressed, such as Shane Campbell at right back (good pace, great throw-ins), Drew Klingenberg had a good motor too which suits the uptempo pressing game Warming prefers, and senior Daniel Burnham looked good on the right wing, scoring once, having another disallowed, and generally being dangerous. No Jordan Tyler because of injury. Promising start to the season, two home games this week, Monday vs. Hartford and Friday vs. Duquesne, a good opportunity to continue gelling and get some wins.

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is Andrew Wolverton hurt or did this guy win the job?