2012 Olympic Soccer Team Thread

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Daniel96, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichCreamy48

RichCreamy48 Member

Jan 9, 2012
    San Diego
    Here's a revised lineup. Danilo instead of Rafael at RB, and Dede instead of David Luiz for more defense.

[​IMG]

2. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    so the 3 overages would be Marcelo, Dede and Thiago Silva..

hmmm do we need Marcelo? with Alex Sandro available at LB? other then that question, I like this line-up.

3. CPonder14

CPonder14 Member

Jan 14, 2008
    id replace Coutinho with Oscar, and Sandro with Fernando. Both those guys have good ball control to keep possession but are also better defenders. In the middle, I think possession and defending is more important with the attacking options we have up front.

4. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I agree to this.

From what I'm seeing of Ganso, he is actually playing more like a segundo volante (CMF), than a playmaking number 10. He is playing very far from the box, which allows him to avoid some of the marking, yet he still needs to improve on his work rate... However he is proving to be a great ball thief, against Guarani yet again he stole more balls than any volante in the pitch (8 IIRC), the only one who stole more balls than him was Henrique who played as a RB... What he must improve is his movement when we are attacking, he can participate a lot more offensivelly and it would benefit us immensely.

This is starting to make me believe that a 4-3-3 with Fernando, Ganso and Oscar could work very well. The only player who isn't veyr gifted with teh ball would be Fernando, who would be more concentraed on marking, while both Ganso and Oscar are very capable at playmaking yet they are also help the defense... This midfield would lack a bit of speed though, but we have so much speed in the flanks already with Neymar and Lucas it makes sense to have more players capable of switching the gears of our team, and we could always sub Coutinho in if more speed is needed.

5. RichCreamy48

RichCreamy48 Member

Jan 9, 2012
    San Diego
    Why Fernando over Sandro? I have not seen Fernando except briefly during the U-20 World Cup.

6. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Bottom line is that Brasil's talent should steamroll through this competition. It's scary how stacked this team is with U-23 offensive talent. So throw 3 over-23 defensive guys in there and they might as well give out the gold medals right now.

7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    It takes more than offensive talent to steam roll through some of the better teams in the tourney, dont you think? It takes balance. The midfield play has to improve in all aspects.

8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Don't forget Spain are also in this tourney.

9. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Yeah, but if you throw Thiago Silva, Dede, and an over-23 D-mid into the lineup, it shouldn't be debateable.

10. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    agreed

11. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    It shouldnt be debatable to that we should steam roll through the opposition?

When is the last time, ANY Brazil team stream rolled through a tournament? Regardless of the personnel.

12. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've been watching some football programs today on TV, Mano's call as always was one of the main polemical subjects... One of the points I want to bring here is that some of the commentators affirmed, and I agree to them, that the main objective for this call up is to prepare our olympic team, since most of the squad is formed by U-23 players, and 6 over 23s of which 3 will probably be called for the London games.

With that put, they questioned if Mano would call David Luiz instead of Dede for the Olympics, based on this call up. Personally I doubt it, Dede's omission is purely because of injury, he is in another level compared to Luiz IMO, who is a good defender as well but not yet stable. Anyone disagree?

Other than that, they started to speculate who will be the over-23s. Their bet is that they will be 2 CBs, and either a SB or a GK. If I were Mano, I would call Thiago Silva, Dede and Marcelo. Alex Sandro is good, but a bit unreliable... While Danilo is much more matured, so I'm willing to bet that our RB spot is in good hands.

Lastly, they questioned some of the U-23s. My main concern here is Fernando's omission, for me he would be our starting DMF in London. Now we will most likely see Sandro there, which is a good option no doubt, but dunno I just prefer Fernando lol. Pato is a BIG question mark, i mena will he even be healthy by then? And more importantly, would he keep himself healthy over the tournament? That's a big gamble... Yet we don't seem to have many options tehre, do we? The only other options I see in this position in that age bracket is André, ex-Santos now at Galo, and Bruno Mendes, which played a brilliant Paulistão this year yet maybe that's too little to warrant a call.

13. Muurad

Muurad Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Absolutely agree Baka on Fernando, i've talked about him alot here and how I think he's been the catalyst to the U-20 world championship team and the engine to everything - Romulo just doesn't bring what he brings imo.

About the extended squad there's players like Guiliano etc who u could call someone like Coutinho over him I guess or Douglas Costa/Alex Teixiera - but neither would make the final 18 cut so it doesn't matter.

I fully agree about the CBs, and calling either Marcelo or Dani Alves as the 3rd over 23 callup (prolly Marcelo cause Alex Sandro has proven to be not trustworthy injurywise - although I think both him and Danilo would be called up - but maybe Mano will choose to take Both Juan and Uvini instead as Juan can also fill in as a leftback - or maybe he'll decide to take Dani Alves over Marcelo cause of that so he can have cover for all defensive positions (Uvini/Juan for CBs, Juan for LB, Danilo for RB/MF)

About offense it's a no brainer - I would obviously want to see Hulk, but it's not as critical as getting Above-23 in other positions - Pato with all the injuries and people hating him right now, absolutely deserve to be on this squad in the situation created. there's no one better as an U-23 player available and more worthy.

14. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I think Juan will be one of the over-23 players, simply because Thiago Silva and David Luiz may very well be barred from participating in the tournament. Whereas Inter will be more likely to let Juan play. So, consider this a test for Juan as to whether he can still be counted on.

I'm alright with Pato simply because our depth at Forward is terrible.

15. Muurad

Muurad Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Juan is 20 years old m8

16. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    the Olympic jerseys have arrived... And to no surprise... ugly as fu...

[​IMG]

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I don't love this jersey but it does fit the competition. And although the Olympic team will have Mano Menezes as manager (which I disapprove of), I would really not mind it if the team wins the Olympic gold medal WITHOUT the CBF logo on the jersey.

18. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    All 3 over-aged spot should go to defenders. If we can get Thiago Silva that great if not. I wouldn't mind guys like Juan (Roma), Luisao and another. These young defenders are not ready yet.

19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    This.. David Luiz, Thiago Silva, and Marcelo should be the overage players.. but with Mano, he might end up calling up Hulk, even though Hulk's position isn't a position of need when it comes to overage experience, but he did manage to create and score. Oscar wide right with Ganso retaking the middle? or just leave Oscar on and stick Lucas on right wide right.?

But now my debate is.. Rightback position.. Danilo and Rafael have been pretty ehhh bad. Would you sacrifice a CB for a RB? If only Mario Fernandes wasn't such a headcase, could've filled both roles at once.

decisions decisions.

20. RichCreamy48

RichCreamy48 Member

Jan 9, 2012
    San Diego
    Starters:

Rafael
    Marcelo
    Thiago Silva
    David Luiz
    Rafael
    Sandro
    Romulo
    Oscar
    Lucas
    Neymar
    Damiao

Subs:

Gabriel
    Juan
    Danilo
    Alex Sandro
    Ganso
    Wellington Nem
    Pato

21. RichCreamy48

RichCreamy48 Member

Jan 9, 2012
    San Diego
    That's just my guess for what will happen.

22. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    If Ganso is fit and ready, I think him and Oscar should start together. Lucas is still to raw at this level for me.

23. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I'm a huge fan of Hulk, but the 3 O-23s should go to the backline as many have stated. Oscar running the show, Neymar & Lucas/Welling Nem on the wings, and Damiao/Pato up top.

This should be curtains if done right. If not, still good news, bc that burro of a tecnico will be ousted.

24. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    douglas costa should be given a chance to play in the olympic team that guy can play and is a lot better than ganso

[]__[]