2012 "Official" UCLA Bruins Thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by WatzBruin, Jan 30, 2012.

1. uscan18

uscan18 Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Big night for Kelyn Rowe in Tucson.
    2 goals against Redbulls.

2. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second goal was gorgeous.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q_uEVrp9K8"]Rowe's curler seals it for the Revs - YouTube[/ame]

3. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Bruin Squad scrimmaged the Mexican Nat 20's tonight in Burbank resulting in a 0-0 tie.
    Both teams had chances, neither converted.
    UCLA still hasn't scored in either scrimmage having also scrimmaged against the MLS Montreal Impact a couple of weeks ago. Defense is holding to their usual stingy ways by not conceding a goal in either match.

Having said all that, it's still just Spring competition.

4. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. footie101

footie101 Member

Feb 15, 2012
    California
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
  7. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    College of Charleston played Chicago Fire losing 2-1 last Sunday.
    Coastal Carolina is playing Chicago Fire on Thursday at Blackbaud.
    UNC is playing Richmond in mid-March.
    UNCP is playing Wilmington at the end of March.

I'm sure if one looked, they can find numerous more examples.

8. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Just heard this today - two releases granted in Foxhoven and Hukari.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Where are they going?

11. uscan18

uscan18 Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Pardon my ignorance, but is a release granted if a player requests a transfer to another school or could this be a professional signing opportunity as well?

12. Gaucho Bandsman

Sep 19, 2010
    My understanding was that if a player wants to transfer, he has to get a release in order for other schools to contact/recruit him. If the player is going pro, they can just leave the team - the NCAA can't do anything about it, since they have no control over teams outside of the NCAA.

13. *Oracle*

*Oracle* Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Lancaster
    Heard this today...Hukari to Denver.

14. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    I would imagine he is leaving because he got zero minutes of PT last season (don't know if he may have been injured). Noticed he is 6'7". perhaps that is only reason UCLA wanted him and it turned out the kid wasn't all that good. I also think he is from Colorado.

15. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    He was a pretty big time recruit that I think they had visions of the next Peter Crouch. Tough to do robot goal celebrations without playing

16. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much room for 6'7 players in UCLA's short passing, possession-oriented system.

17. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Is someone here able to help confirm whether Victor Chavez is still with the Bruins?

In an MLS reserve game today, Chivas had an unused sub by that name, and I'm pretty sure that college players aren't allowed to have any part in the MLS reserve league. It's a common enough name that it might've been somebody else, though.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2012/04/la-galaxy-fall-4-2-chivas-usa-reserve-league-opener

Chivas USA: Tim Melia; Scott Gordon (Carlos Torres 73’), John Valencia, David Lopes, Gerardo Torres; Pete Vagenas (Marco Delgado* 46’), Ben Zemanski, Jorge Villafaña, Blair Gavin (Matt Dallman 65’); Cesar Romero, Miller Bolaños.

Subs Not Used: Patrick McLain, Victor Chavez, Jorge Marquez, Ben Spencer*.

18. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yep - different Chavez as Victor Chavez is still with the Bruins although he has been sidelined this Spring with a hammy.

Rumor on the street is the Bruins have hired a new assistant coach to replace Kenny Arena. Hopefully the new coach is as industrious as Kenny was to the UCLA program.

20. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Update from my campus source tells me the Bruins beat a LA based Semi-Pro team in the LA Blues 2-0 this past weekend. The good news is that Chavez did play indicating he is coming back from injury. As did the new transfer from George Mason in a D-Mid role. Next Spring match is slated for this weekend at UCI.

21. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who scored?

22. *Oracle*

*Oracle* Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Lancaster
    Not to steal WatzBruins thunder but I believe Hollingshead and Raynr (PK) both tallied goals in this match.

23. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info. Do you guys think we are going to play Hollingshead at RM again this season or forward? If he improves on last season at all I could see him making first team all pac-12 and maybe MLS superdraft.

24. *Oracle*

*Oracle* Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Lancaster
    very good question as to RH's positioning. I believe he is probably slotted as a RM as IMHO his feet are neither quick enough nor is he crafty enough to break down guys on the dribble as a forward. I don't believe he is an offensive center mid at this level either (using say a Luis Silva or K. Rowe as an example). Having said all that, I hope he puts in the work over the summer as I don't believe he was really effective at RM until about the 6/7th game of the 2011 season. Rumor was he took the summer off from competing and this is my opinion again, his match fitness early in the 2011 season suffered.

I am actually a bit worried where the Bruin's offensive production is going to come from next season with the loss of Rowe, Arreola and Hoffman. Chavez never found his freshmen form last year so I hope he breaks out. I am hearing a freshmen forward (M. Rodrigues) from the Galaxy/Nats is committed but there is some uncertainty whether he will turn pro or not. His decision could be the reason why the Bruins haven't announced their signing class??? I think they should give Raynr a shot a forward as he has a quick first step to get behind and he plays defense like a guy on top. ;)But the play maker role next fall is what really concerns me...especially with K. Rowe gone and Pelosi electing to turn pro at Liverpool.

25. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per twitter, US U-17 MNT fwd Paul Arriola verbally committed to UCLA today.