2012 Off Season Thread: The Cruyff Era

Discussion in 'Chivas' started by DGreat, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    The correct way to address this is to say Chivas are at a disadvantage for using only Mexicans, but at an advantage for being the most popular team (thus leading to more marketing opportunities for players, $$$s, etc.). Stating just the disadvantage is making excuses.

Of course, having not heard/read Cruyff's original statement, I am speaking completely out of context.:cool:

2. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I don't know how to multiquote but the perceived disadvantage is twofold. One its suggested is there no talent good enough in the positions they need and secondly fellow teams would overprice players they might want to purchase.

The second issue is patently false, as Chivas has a long history of both buying and selling players when they are willing to loosen the purse strings.

The first reason is also false. Although, talent available might not be at the level required for a team like Real Madrid and Barcelona but it is more than adequate for winning regional competitions as has been proving by Mexican teams constantly winning international competitions at the senior & youth level in Concacaf.

Athletic Bilbao, in my opinion is the only team truly at a disadvantage because they limit themselves to only recruiting players from a certain region and/or heritage. I know the policy has changed slightly, as there is Mexican born Basques players in their youth setup. Basque country has a population of 3 million and countless number of people with a Basque background. Chivas can recruit players from a country with a population of 100 million. Chivas has expanded its recruitment policy to including Mexican by heritage, or shall we call them pochos, in their program as long as they only suit up for Mexico.

If we compare it by these numbers, we should be achieving similar success to Bilbao.

There are of course other issues, economical to name one which tie into political issues, requiring to be addressed. But, I don't know the extent of Bilbao's debt, government subsidies received, if any, or how much money Vergara is making, exactly.

3. El_LatinLover

El_LatinLover BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 27, 2007
    The Poorside
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Stating us being at a disadvantage isnt an excuse. It is a fact. It's a pure and simple numbers game. If one says "we lost because we are at a disadvantage" then, that is making excuses.

4. El_LatinLover

Nov 27, 2007
    The Poorside
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Truly at a disadvantage? It is the same for both of our teams give or take. YOu could just say mexico has more people than spain, thus '...' . We have more people to choose from, but they develop them better so, it runs about even.

5. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    FWIW, this is the original quote, would love to see further context-
    http://www.chivaspasion.com/00010368/johan-cruyff-y-una-asesoria-a-distancia/#_
    So he really is saying it's unusual, and the advantages and disadvantages needed to be looked at or analyzed. Very different from focusing only on the disadvantage.

and the audio-http://video.mx.msn.com/watch/video/cruyff-es-atipico-jugar-solo-con-mexicanos/t25pc7o3

chiva_guero repped this.
  6. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Thanks el choul. I should know better than base my comments off Mediocierto's fb feed.

7. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    That's the problem when we don't have time to track down every single quote people make. Very frustrating. Dozens of news outlets went with the same ridiculous headline, but they were so similar that I figured someone must have the original audio.

8. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Guero and I are back from Barcelona. Meeting with JC14 went well. Also,

http://opinion.informador.com.mx/Columnas/2012/05/09/futbol-sin-balon-205/

9. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  10. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    This is a column (really a way to get in tidbits of either news or chismes not worth an actual article). Regular Chivas articles have a "deportes" url.

11. Ronrris

Ronrris Member+

Feb 13, 2008
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Not sure if anyone has posted this but on Chivas' twitter it was said that Michel will not be sold.

Rumors going around are that Chivas intend to sell Liborio and bring back Rodriguez as our backup goalkeeper.

12. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Was Rodriguez the goalie that blocked a penalty in his debut then proceeded to shit the bed the rest of the way until he was benched for Hugo Hernandez?

13. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    It wasn't, but I think that was Sergio Rodriguez. There is Sergio Rodriguez (much older, on loan to UdG maybe?), and Jose Antonio Rodriguez (this kid).
    This guy is only 19 still and was the starting goalie for Mexico U17s in 2009 and U20s in 2011. He's supposed to be the goalie of the future for Chivas. He's been on loan to Veracruz this past year.

Rebaño_Sagrado repped this.
  14. Ronrris

Ronrris Member+

Feb 13, 2008
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    He was also part of the Olympic squad, and I think he played one match during the qualifiers.

15. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Yes.

This brings up a good point. Since all the loanees are back with Chivas for the time being (off-season), we actually have 5 players on the Toulon U23 squad-both goalies Liborio and Rodriguez, Chaton, Ponce, and Fabian.

16. El_LatinLover

Nov 27, 2007
    The Poorside
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Shit looks like it's shaping up. Vergara is TCoB.

17. El Jalisciense

El Jalisciense Member+

Feb 7, 2009
    Dalton, Georgia
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

18. El_LatinLover

Nov 27, 2007
    The Poorside
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Oh yes, cause vergara roams around these parts.
    its more like this...
    [​IMG]
    you after reading my post.

19. El_LatinLover

Nov 27, 2007
    The Poorside
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
  20. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
  21. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  22. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
  23. El Jalisciense

El Jalisciense Member+

Feb 7, 2009
    Dalton, Georgia
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  24. Ronrris

Ronrris Member+

Feb 13, 2008
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    According to the people on Jorge Ramos, we are close to signing Nestor Calderon.
    I know he's from our youth squad but the kid sucks!

They also said our first refuerzo on attack should be announced tonight, could be someone else. We'll see..

25. Lil Puppet

Lil Puppet Member+

Feb 11, 2007
    A Basket
    Club:
    FC Illychivets Mariupol
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Se van Magallón y Michel. Regresa Salcido.