2012 NPSL General Discussion

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by ButlerBob, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought I would start a new one for this year.

Does anyone know if the Chicago Fire NPSL team will be back this year? They are no longer listed on the league site in the new divisions.

2. CBSoccer

CBSoccer Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Interesting - the NPSL site has several new teams, and several "vacancies"...
    Out West there is no Hollywood United and no AZ/NM teams, nor any new San Diego team that were being talked about...
    But the North Coast Tsunami is there, as are Fullerton Rangers and FC Santa Clarita (formerly the Rattlers?)
    The NE - Keystone Conference looks pretty small too - but I can't remember how many teams were there last year...
    I wonder if this is it, or if more teams will be added?
    I was hoping for more, but the NPSL news has been strangely quiet...

3. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been told the Fire are out for 2012 because of youth development system restructuring. They were on the team schedules as of last week, but now are not.

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://colonialsoccer.com/files/news/PDF_2826.pdf

The Morris County Colonials will have a number of exciting new challenges in the summer, after it was revealed that they are part of the National Premier Soccer League's restructure following the addition of new teams in the Northeast for the 2012 season. The team will leave the Atlantic Conference and move to the Keystone Conference - a switch that will also see the squad playing rivals much closer to home.

The Colonials are now up against a previous NPSL champion - FC Sonic Lehigh Valley - as well as Pocono Snow (PA), AC Crusaders (NJ), Buxmont Torch (PA), FC New York (NY) and the NPSL's newest addition from Philadelphia: Junior Lone Star FC (PA).

The NPSL continues to build and expand across the country, resulting in the reorganization to accommodate teams and lessen travel commitments. The Colonials are beneficiaries of this with a considerable reduction in travel distances, though are part of an expansion to a 12-game regular season; the conference winners progress to National playoffs and the NPSL Championship.

5. RyanGiggs

RyanGiggs New Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Hi all.It's a pleasure for me to be on Big Soccer
    I'm searching any information.
    I have heard that some npsl team give a salary for their players,than there are not all amateurs team.
    Wich are these teams??Exsist a standard salary cup policy ??
    Than u all for the answers and sorry for my english,im not from usa

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's all still being hashed out...stay tuned
    The NPSL is entering a new phase this year as some teams will have the option to turn professional. The league will be making an announcement soon regarding the structure of the salary cap, but paid players will be allowed in the NPSL for the first time in 2012. Teams will either be professional or amateur in makeup, as the NCAA states that amateur players cannot play with professional players without forfeiting their college eligibility. College players can play against professionals though.

7. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought they introduced this last year; that teams had a choice to be professional. I don't know who (if anyone) took advantage of it on short notice. Maybe more teams will this season since they've had a whole year to plan and get the infrastructure in place.

8. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Two more thoughts on the pro thing:

1. I can't see any NPSL team spending huge money on players' salaries, although the league could still institute a cap to even the playing field among those who choose to go the pro route.

2. I wonder if we'll even know which teams have chosen to go pro and which haven't. I doubt the league will publish a list, and it's sometimes hard to tell from teams' own press releases and websites (many teams already advertise themselves as "pro soccer", even though they don't pay their players.

9. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pay limits established last year were $1,500 per game or $2,000 per year. I heard that these might be raised at this year's AGM, but I haven't heard if that actually happened.

I was given the impression that many teams around the league plan to pay some players, with the exception of the Midwest Division Central Conference. It's my understanding that none of the teams in that conference will pay players due to heavy college player usage and/or financial constraints.

10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is no longer true. That's why academy players can play in MLS reserve games with professionals without jeopardizing their NCAA eligibility.

11. puma pride

puma pride Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    That isn't entirely true. Its a very clouded area. The Kitsap Pumas which are a Pro PDL team pay there players and are not allowed to sign any collegiate players. The new NCAA ruling as far as they have been able to dig up is that
    players can keep their eligibility and play alongside professionals as long as they have not signed a letter of intent with any college. Once they have or have begun playing with a college they are no longer allowed to play with professionals only against them. The Kitsap Pumas have spoken to the NCAA directly in regards to this issue as well as many Colleges.

12. soccerdisciple

Mar 8, 2004
    I thought that colleges cannot control players playing outside the academic year - summer.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. puma pride

puma pride Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    the college's do not, but the NCAA can control their eligibility

15. soccerdisciple

Mar 8, 2004
    NPSL Teams in Northern California - like the Sonoma County Sol - use college players in league play. But they have to wait until after a certain date in May before they can do so without losing eligibility.

16. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Which is why Sonoma -- along with a bunch of other NPSL teams who use a lot of college players -- probably won't go pro.

Same reason a lot of PDL teams stayed the way they were rather than going pro a couple of years ago.

17. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would be surpised how much influence / control coaches have on where players play during the summer. Some coaches have relationships with various PDL/NPSL coaches and steer players to those clubs. Others may prefer that their players don't play at all in these leagues and stay at school taking classes and working their camps. It's a mix bag with the college coaches.

18. tulipknife

tulipknife New Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Scotland
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  19. soccerdisciple

Mar 8, 2004
    For a team to go pro, it probably must have an owner with deep pockets who loves the game and and can afford to lose some cash. Expenses for NPSL teams are already high when one adds travel, lodging, NPSL fees, stadium rental, coach fees, etc. However, there seems to be a growing pool of talented players who have graduated and chose a local job instead of pursuing a pro career. Some Northern California teams use these players but must sign up a large number to make sure they have enough players for game day due to a player's job requirements. I suspect a team needs a minimum funding of $25,000. This can be offset through ticket and sponsorship sales.

20. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. soccerall

soccerall Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Anyone know who the Rhode Island Reds are? Who is running this?

22. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://69.56.140.150/

I just happened upon their website, above. No info given on staff, roster, anything.

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BROOKLYN, N.Y. – The Brooklyn Italians, the 2011 National Premier Soccer League Northeast - Atlantic Conference regular Season Division Champion, are in search of players for this season. They will hold a two-day open tryout on Saturday, Feb. 25 and Sunday, Feb. 26, starting at 2 p.m. The open tryout will be held at John Desey High School in Brooklyn, N.Y. Previous Brooklyn Italians tryouts have been a successful tool for finding talented players to contribute to the Italians' squad, including current USL PRO players Joseph Tavernese and Don Smarth, who played for the club during the 2011 season. Italians newly appointed head coach Lucio Russo and his coaching staff will evaluate the players. For more information, contact Joseph Barone at: Barone@Brooklynitalians.org.

24. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States