PBP: 2012 NHL Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by DynamoEAR, Apr 8, 2012.

1. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I will never, ever for the life of me understand how suspensions in the NHL work.

Are we outlawing dirty hits, or not? If Torres should be given many games, then shouldn't Neal get many also for his hit on Coutourier? Are we punishing the hit, or the injury?

These playoffs have been one quagmire after another. There's a lot of dirty play, and these players seem like they have no respect for each other, or the game. There used to be a code, but, now, it's like the code no longer exists. Shameful.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injury

Also, Neal didn't hit Couturier in the head, but the chest, which likely saved him a bit.

BTW, the Penguins Flyers game 3 was one of the highest rated playoff games in a decade in the US.

3. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Punishing for injury is just stupid, I thought they were trying to change the behavior of players?

4. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any nuck-heads know if the other sedin sister is playing tonight???

Or does Henrik still think he's Daniel and vice versa

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they were, but watch what happened.

James Wisnewski in the pre season, cross checks Cal Clutterbuck after the whistle, no injury. Not particularly hard, but definitely dirty. What was it? 8 games.

Duncan Keith with a huge cheap shot elbow on Daniel Sedin, knocks him out for the rest of the season so far. Probably knocks out the Canucks. 5 games

Shea Weber smashes Zetterberg's head into the glass. Fine

What's the difference in these situations? The timing of them. Obviously they got softer and softer. But after Weber's issue, that's the old give an inch they take a mile situation. Now you see the league realizing, Oh dear what have we done.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a game time decision. Cleared for contact, supposedly symptom free and practicing.

7. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    This is something that I disagree with the NHL vehemently about: Punishing for the injury. That's like saying, "We won't you suspend for 50 games for slashing a guy across the face if he doesn't get hurt. It'll be more like 10."

Also, I just can't understand the inconsistency. Shaw gets three games, but Neal gets one. That seems fair. Also, we don't know how bad Couturier was hurt. Players lie about concussions all the time, and if this kid thinks he can help his team, I'm sure he'll take that risk and lie about it, and just say that he got his bell rung. The hit was dirty. There's no question about that. You don't need to wait to see how long a player is injured before deciding whether a hit was dirty or not.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shaw was given a stiff suspension for two reasons.

He's a nobody, and there was a conference call about don't touch the goalies. This was sort of a warning shot to anybody about that. Sucks for Shaw.

9. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Mostly it's the after whistle shenanigans, the cheapness, the endless scrums that add nothing, that gets to me. But the utter disrespect some players have for each other is sickening, and I want nothing to do with that either.

Burke was right, the rats are taking over. Look at how Torres justifies his hit last night on Hossa (just a hockey play), or how Shea Weber gets a free pass, apparently because he's Shea Weber, and suspending him would hurt Nashville too much.

I call bullshit, Weber should sit some games, and realize just why he cost his team. Torres, as a multiple/repeat offender, really shouldn't be on the ice anymore this playoffs. Right now the punishment for this behaviour is so laughably small that there's no disincentive for their behaviour at all, and in fact there is plenty of incentive for players to head hunt and play dirty with the current setup, and I'm not really interested in watching that.

YMMV

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it kind of funny that there is no punishment for punching somebody repeatedly in the face, seems to happen like every other play. But only if the other guy punches back do you both get two minutes.

Torres suspended for at least the next game as his hearing is Friday.

11. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard if he plays it will only be on the Power Play... regardless i think the kings kill em off

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schneider starts tonight.

I never thought I'd say this, but Luongo might be done in Vancouver.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    So... they've got a graphic for a small Division 1 college, but not for an NHL team.

Wow.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's apparently a local Miami news network and FIU is a University in Miami.

I think what happened is they just didn't realize the difference.

16. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I've seen stuff like this on our local news before. If the Flyers would play the Canes, they would put the green and orange U on screen. I don't know if it was because they didn't have the Canes logo, or someone who was handling graphics was completely inept.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It would have to be this. Because if you think that putting up a college logo of a different team is an acceptable substitute for not having a logo, you are completely inept.

It'd be like if ESPN put the Texas Rangers and Washington Senators logo up when the Rangers play the Senators tonight.

18. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I think the first goal he allowed against Mike Richards really gave the Kings a lot of confidence.

Game 1 Vancouver is going nuts, its loud, fans rowdy, they get a very quick 1-0 lead. as a kings fan im sitting there thinking, yeah this will be a quick series.

Then Luongo decides to gamble on a centering pass and Richards zips it right through his legs. Kings on the board (when we all thought they were lacking offense) and Vancouver later decides to implode with dumb penalty after dumb penalty.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daniel Sedin will play tonight as long as he doesn't have a set back in warm ups.

20. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Let's not put that past ESPN, as I'm not so sure they know what hockey is.

/hasn't watched ESPN in about 2 years
    //watches stuff on ESPN3, and that's it

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you, I watch ESPN's live broadcasts of whatever I'm interested in, occasional baseball and soccer games, but their own unique programing, talk shows, sportscenter etc, I couldn't care less for.

22. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or til Dustin makes Brownies out of him

23. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pittsburgh leading Philly after two periods, 3 field goals to 1. Or maybe a TD + Safety, not sure.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TD + safety vs field goal I think.

Steelers on top

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OH my goodness. Steelers beating the Eagles in a defensive game today 10-3.