2012 NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cpthomas, Oct 8, 2012.

1. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

2. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who do you think will prevent them?

3. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The above reply sounds snotty and was not intended that way. I'm just curious that if BYU does not make it to the College Cup, which of their opponents in the region do you think will derail them?

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    BYU is absolutely making the National Championship game now.
    You best believe it. It's happening now, now that we know the game would be moved to Saturday.
    And if they do play in that game, I hope they lose.
    Then we can point the finger at them and say, "if only you gave yourselves an extra day to rest, and could have played the game on Sunday instead".

{Hateful trolling deleted}

5. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    What about Messiah or Wheaton who've won however many D3 titles, each round moved to Fri/Sat rather than Sat/Sun? What about the 1800 college presidents who voted to pass a rule to accomodate every member institution so they could fully participate in NCAA Championships.

Thanks for showing the anti-religious are at least as ugly as the sanctimoniously religious. Argo........... :whistling:

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I'm not anti-religious, I just don't want religion and sport being tied together, at the NCAA level.
    A variety of religions is cool for the world (outside of sport). But you can't cater to one or all of them (inside sport, or college sport, in this instance). Instead, the NCAA needs to cater to none of them. It's the only way it's fair for all.

If BYU plays against Virginia in the Final, do you think Steve Swanson wants to play the game on Saturday (less than 24 hours after the semifinal on Friday) ???

Sh*t no. By catering to BYU in this situation, you're hurting the team they would be playing against in the Final.

Imagine the "sleepy" eyes (and "drop foot") that all the girls will have on Saturday playing in that Final. But BYU's team will be more mentally prepared. It will be an emotional uplifting experience for them playing on Saturday instead of Sunday, because growing up, they (Mormons) always had to play on Fridays and Saturdays at the younger levels, instead of Fridays and Sundays.

They're more prepared for it.
    So yep, this is some bull sh*t.

[​IMG]

7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I guess that the issue. For some people religion trumps everything, and it not your place to judge.

I'm pretty sure BYU doesn't want to play games back to back with no rest either. It wasn't their decision.

Blame the NCAA.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Is Sunday even that holy for these BYU players?
    I saw one of their players at the Salt Lake & Valley Mall, last Sunday.
    She was shopping (for shoes), and didn't look to be practicing any sort of faith or religion.

Ok, I'm done with this.
    BYU can have their little sporting events on Saturday instead of Sunday, so might as well move the Championship game there as well.
    Mormons are nice people. They just live in their own little world sometimes.
    But they rank as the #2 nicest people in the world.
    Right behind Chinese people.

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I'm sure you are a nice person, but you are a seeming moron on this point. If you can't see the difference between what an individual does and what the policy of a religious institution is, I just pity you. I presume whatever education you had omitted concepts of tolerance.

What school was it that failed you?

Morris20 repped this.
  10. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Marquette.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Interesting if it happened. I think you might be overreaching precedent.

Can you think of the last time a 41 RPI team unseated a 1 seed?

How about at 5,000 feet?

I'd call Stanford heavy favorites, but their chances of getting knocked of by at least 3 teams in their bracket are a lot greater.

12. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I don't get too worked up on predictions . . . we'll see. BYU has to beat Auburn first, the Cougs made hard work of Utah State this past week. As long as the field is lower than Adams State . . . Marquette will be ok. And of course, they'll have been in town acclimating since today.

13. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010

Your comments about Mormons are increasingly stupid and offensive. Do yourself, and the rest of us, a favor and drop it.

14. orange crusader

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    My guess is UNC.

15. Wayne Famous

Wayne Famous Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously we all have our opnions on the religious side of things and no amount of arguing will change anybody's mind.

But, if BYU does make the College Cup, I certainly hope the NCAA has the BYU game first so the other potential finalists will know if they need to manage their minutes differently with a game the next day.

Or, should the NCAA have BYU in the late game to give the other finalist a few extra hours of rest?

16. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. socdad

socdad Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Dayton, Oh
    Your moronic comments say much more about you than the Mormons.

Nacional Tijuana and Morris20 repped this.
  18. Newfor2010

Newfor2010 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Club:
    Asker FK
    So if BYU makes it to the final four and loses the semifinals game (Friday) would the finals still be Saturday (with BYU out) or will they then move it back to the original Sunday? Or is it too late to switch?

19. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I don't think we'll know until/if BYU makes it to College Cup.

20. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Marquette's RPI isn't 41... It's 13. Where did the #41 come from?

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Hmm, my bad. I was looking at the unsorted listing for them here:
    https://www.nc-soccer.com/wsoccer/2012/
    And assumed the number in front of their name was the RPI

I should have sorted them first by RPI.

But clicking on them looking at their schedule shows they are listed with only one win over a top 25 team (ND), so I'm not convinced they are giant killers.

But that's why they play.

22. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    This thread has gotten surprisingly heated over a hypothetical, eh?

It is my understanding that the Cup is scheduled for Friday and Sunday. The Final would only be played on Saturday if BYU advances to the Final. To do that, they would need not only to reach the Final Four, but also beat the winner of the Stanford bracket as well. Should they do that, we are already (IMO) well into the realm of miracles, and I would be reluctant to mess with these folks and their relationship with their Maker. ;) .

As several others have already said, BYU is doing nothing more than exercising an accommodation that has been long established by the NCAA.

As others have (apparently) not considered, the NCAA has little room to adjust the schedule (at this point). This tournament does have a fan base, beyond TV. Many of these fans have already made their reservations for SD. No one who booked early plane reservations was thinking about giving up an additional day of work and incurring another day's lodging expense on the off chance that BYU might want to play on Thursday or Monday (or both?). Fans who are traveling from around the country would look dimly on missing either the Semis or the Final because they are locked into plane reservations and the NCAA decided at the last minute to extend the tourney window. Saturday is the day NCAA has to work with.

This is very unlikely to become an issue, but if it does occur and result in a less than ideal outcome, the responsibility to address it lies with the NCAA, and the time to do so is well in advance-- not in some ad hoc maneuver to alter the tourney window at the last minute.

cpthomas repped this.
  23. raiderD15

raiderD15 Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Princeton up 1-0 over Marquette 30 minutes into the first half. This game and the BYU/Auburn game (tonight at 8 EST) are the only games for today.

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Possible, but maybe UNC fans can help. I have been wondering...

Has UNC ever won a tournament game on the road to get to the college cup?

I don't mean in the college cup, I mean to get there.