2012 NASL Champions!

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by ceezmad, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It is still the same club, different team. The 1975 and 2012 Rowdies aren't just different teams, but different clubs. That is a fact. Deal with facts.
    Name one EPL team (or any team) that has spent 30 years in 'administration' (we call it bankruptcy here in America)? It doesn't happen. That process last a few years at best, usually less. Either they are sold to another bidder and the entity continues or they are liquidated. Liquidation means they don't exist anymore. Your example has never happened in England and will never happen.

2. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no you do not lol

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds a bit like the plot for Astroboy.

4. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's stupid that we're arguing about a wee little star over our logo. Take it for what it is: A Nod to the Rowdies of old. If not the new Rowdies, then who better to honor their legacy? We wear their colors, we sing their songs, and we honor their past. If you guys feel so strongly against the new Rowdies adopting the old, then I suggest you go take your support elsewhere. May I suggest VSI Tampa Bay Flames? Good luck creating legacies there! :rolleyes:

speedcake, FNovoa and WhiteStar Warriors repped this.
  5. cruzazulsdad

cruzazulsdad Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WELL SAID!

6. MadAdam4

MadAdam4 Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's much like a collaborative novel, where multiple authors come together to write a single novel. Yes, two or more separate entities that have no ties to one another wrote separate portions of the novel, yet those portions are indistinguishable from one another.

The Rowdies of old and the Rowdies of new are two separate clubs and entities, but you cannot take away from us fans the importance of what both represent together. Once a Rowdie, always a Rowdie.

Soccer Budgie, XaviusX and FNovoa repped this.
  7. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya really, most of us are just needling those of you who have your panties in a wad over the star. I could care less, it doesn't matter to me but I'm having fun with it and the more hate it gets the more fun it becomes for me to celebrate it.

No one asked the Rowdies to put a star in their logo, but it is there now and I doubt it is going away any time soon. Sooooooo how about we drop this conversation? I sincerely doubt the casual fan cares much about it or knows why it is there. Rest assured, the backlash is limited to a handful of soccer nerds on some mostly obscure internet forums.

8. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I agree, that only a few care about it and will make a big deal out of it....

.....just the few of us that are right and have the facts on our side.:D

9. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think discussing it is a big deal, just think getting too carried away or overly concerned about it is a bit much.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're literally the ********ing dumbest person in the western hemisphere.

Do you understand how businesses work? Like, when they cease to exist? Like if you started a company tomorrow called the Dutch West India Company, it wouldn't be the same company that was founded in 1621 and went out of business in 1792? Do you understand what happens when companies go out of business?

Manchester United is the same club now as it was in 1982 despite the fact they don't have any of the same players because they didn't go out of business, moron. It's the same club. It's the same business. It's continuous. The 1975 Pittsburgh Steelers and the 2008 Pittsburgh Steelers had completely different players but they are the same franchise.

No, it doesn't. ****************. Because there's a thirty ********ing year gap. The new club doesn't get to claim the history of the old club just because they resurrect the name.

I just gave you the Accrington Stanley example, jagweed.

I don't know why you can't grasp this: the Rowdies went kaput in 1994. Done. Over. Out of business. Out. Of. Business. They didn't play anymore. They didn't exist. Mrs. Corbett said "Enough is enough," they couldn't find an owner, and they folded. Dead. Buried. Over.

Someone came along and started a whole new company, not the next year, but sixteen years later and tried to claim the history (well, parts of it).

"Alternate universe" is a lot of syllables for someone as obtuse as you.

11. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well than they could have one star silver and the other one gold.

So if Mcdonalds goes out of business and 20 years later somebody buys them they can't use the motto: over 20 billion served?

12. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You just ......don't.....give....up.

Do you?

If your ridiculous hypothetical situation did come to pass, believe me, people wouldn't be fooled by such a claim. Well, scratch that, you would.

There is another small point that all of you are missing. The new club doesn't even own the Rowdies name. Unless I missed something, they are effectively leasing the name from the t shirt guys in Texas. How do you claim a championship from a team whose name you are merely renting?

13. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I have a serious proposal for compromise on the star argument. Some teams put the stars on their sleeves. Call me a traditionalist if you want, but I prefer just the wordmark on the chest along with the number. No stars and no ads please. Put one star on each sleeve. Voila! You guys can interpret that as two stars for this fictional 37 year old club you are imagining and I can interpret that as one star from this lovely three year old club who is so dear to my heart.

All joking aside, that is a serious suggestion.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

How many Championships do the Cleveland Browns have?

I know they have zero Super bowl championships, but how many of the old NFL Championships do they still claim?

Edit: For San Jose the argument could be made that since MLS owns all the teams (players and maybe name rights) So the Team "MLS LLC" did not go out of business, so the same owner (and the same league) where the First MLS Earthquakes used to play are the same as the new Earthquakes.

15. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    So, it's old guard vs the new guard in this thread.

I don't mean that as disrespect. It's just the two ideological differences about the star/stars are paramount in this thread.

Good conversation as usual barring the insults.

16. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think the San Jose example was a decent one, mostly because ******** San Jose for luck boxing an MLS championship right before MLS had to decide on which teams to axe.

And especially ******** San Jose for still ********ing up and losing their team anyway, only to be given another chance by MLS a few years later.

So much ********ing going on and Tampa Bay is always on the bottom.

:O

17. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are missing something. the name Rowdies has been owned by this franchise since its re-birth. Unfortunately, the wordmark laws and the Patent and trademark office sell the rights to do different things with "Names". The only (and it is a big only) thing the team didn't own was the right to sell clothing with Rowdies on it. Look it up for yourself, you can follow the court case (sorta) by the dates diffrent 'marks were dropped and re-done in the last 5 years. http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4007:glaio2.1.1

18. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    O don't worry, I am not missing a thing. How effective a professional sports business can you run when you couldn't sell merchandise with your name on it? Right. Get back to me on that interesting business plan. Which that foolishness just continues to prove my point that this club is 3 years old, not 37. Thank you. Period. The END.

19. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Carlos Mendes eager to play against the Rowdies

1. [​IMG]
      @TheNYCosmos Ask Carlos what team are you looking forward to play against the most? Or what team would you like to play against?
      Zachary Cosnotti@MyRustySoccer
      hace 7 horas
    2. [​IMG]
      .@MyRustySoccer Mendes: "Tampa Bay because of the history and they are the defending champs."

20. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least someone in the Cosmos organization has bothered to mention the Rowdies. Too bad they won't be ready to play on time like everyone else.