2012 MLS Referee Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by La Rikardo, Jan 7, 2012.

1. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    He also runs a lot! His positioning is among the best and his fitness is top notch. I thought he was letting too much go at some points tonight, especially early. And his AR didn't do him any favors with a foul call late in the match that was marginal at best. But I agree that uncontroversial is a good word for him in general.

Not sure I would put Toledo in the top group.

I like these blue uniforms.

2. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    He's certainly not elite like Geiger, Salazar, and Marrufo, but whom do you think is better than him who isn't one of this week's eight referees?

3. IARef96

IARef96 Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Clive, IA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on the kits... best looking product out of Adidas in some time. Too bad USSF can't mature enough to drop the ol' Indiana powerhouse.

4. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    I've been watching LA-RSL, but I checked in on SJ-NE at halftime and found this great offside non-call from Jeff Hosking in the 15th minute which led to SJ's first goal.

[​IMG]

5. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    It's not a great non call. It's a basic offside decision that any professional AR should be expexpected to get every time. No need to point it out.

6. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    I'm not saying it's the greatest call ever, but it's the most interesting thing that's happened today so far involving referees in MLS that I've seen.

7. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it not a great non-call? At a professional game speed, I highly doubt it was as simple as you make it.

8. IARef96

IARef96 Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Clive, IA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No need to make this post. Go back under your bridge, troll.

9. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    From a referee observer perspective, today was an awfully boring day in Major League Soccer. Five games, 14 cautions, 0 send-offs, 0 PKs called. I'm unable to access video for the COL-CLB game at the moment since it's blacked out on MLS Live in my area, but MLSSoccer.com lists two cautions in the 80th minute of the game, one to each team, for "fight". That might have been interesting. Did anyone see these cautions for "fight"?

10. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just some chest bumping. It wasn't too bad, but definitely warranted cautions.

11. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Why did Stott let Beckham get away with so much dissent? Throwing the ball at him (in his direction from far away anyway) after a foul call should have been automatic. Referees let him get away with way too much. Maybe they need that guy from the U7's...

As for Toledo...I can't think of anyone off the top of my head necessarily which highlights how thin the top of the corps is. I don't think Petresciu is very good either.

12. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I notied that too. I think Stott wants to keep his assignments since it is the first game of the season. David Beckham holds a lot of sway in MLS and the last thing Stott wants to do is jeopardize his assignments for DOING THE RIGHT THING and that should be carding Beckham for his petulance.

13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are your early season power rankings for MLS refs?

My quick top five is

1. Geiger
    2. Salazar
    3. Toledo
    4. Maurrfo
    5. Stott??? I really have no idea who to put fifth.

14. IARef96

IARef96 Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Clive, IA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd vote:

1. Geiger
    2. Salazar
    3. Grajeda
    4. Toledo
    5. Marrufo

15. IARef96

IARef96 Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Clive, IA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Grajeda looked great yesterday, same with Geiger and Salazar. Geiger was lenient, but I'm starting to see that as his style - see the U-20 WC matches.

I think Stott made himself look like a pushover for not dealing with Beckham and the others (there was more dissent in that game than I've seen in some time, to be expected with two "diva" teams.)

Gonzalez does not have much of a game presence in my view, but I didn't think he did a poor job when it came to calling the game. Just not as convincing as Geiger/Salazar/Grajeda (and even Marrufo).

16. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he knows that if he cards Becks for dissent, he is in danger of not getting games for a while. I think that it is very clear that MLS expects refs to take a lot more abuse from their "stars". Also not to card them for serious misconduct (see Beckham's hack on Josh Wolff at the beginning of last year).

17. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    see I don't want to believe that's true. Henry has a horrible attitude just like Beckham, but he got plenty of discipline last year. Beckham managed to get suspended a couple of times for all of his cautions last year too. All the noises coming out of NY say they are going to crack down no matter who the player is.

18. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I thought Chris Penso did a great job last year but he's not on anyone's "Top 5" list and not assigned any matches on opening weekend?

19. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    I don't think this is accurate at all. Stott is the only CR (at least as far as I know, and if I'm wrong, I know someone will correct me) remaining from the first season of MLS. He has proven himself over and over again to be an excellent referee, and IMO, has nothing to prove to anyone. There is no chance in hell that a deserved caution to Beckham in week 1 for dissent affects his assignments at all. Why he didn't give it, I have no idea, and frankly, I'm surprised that he didn't. I think we can all be sure that it wasn't due to any kind of fear of reprisal.

20. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've spoken with one former MLS AR who told me that Stott has a strong reputation with the players. I believe that Stott was able to let it go, and not lose any match control because the players trust him.

21. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    I think the top 6 are pretty set in my mind, but after that I feel there's significant parity among the next several referees, so I'll go top 16:

1. Geiger
    2. Salazar
    3. Marrufo
    4. Stott
    5. Grajeda
    6. Gonzalez
    7. Toledo
    8. Petrescu
    9. Penso
    10. Jurisevic
    11. E. Bazakos
    12. Bratsis
    13. Kadlecik
    14. Guzman
    T15. Gantar
    T15. Ward

22. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Chris was 4O on the opening match - Vancouver vs. Montreal.

That's pretty big for a second year guy IMHO.

23. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found this clip the most interesting of the weekend from a referee perspective:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-03-11-dal-v-ny/highlights?videoID=178642

The announcers end up lauding Marrufo for getting it right and allowing the quick free kick. Personally, I wish it was that simple; Henry didn't ask for ten, so it doesn't have to be a ceremonial restart with a whistle. But, it's not that easy, is it? Don't we have instructions (it's on that video that came out a few years ago), which say that if the referee involves himself at all, it becomes a ceremonial restart? Marrufo tells Benitez to get back and then is definitely talking to Henry and even appears as though he's bringing his whistle to his mouth to signal the restart when it's taken. At that point, per USSF instructions, it is supposed to become ceremonial. This would have been a big deal and a huge problem if the ball went in the net, I think.

I hope that this close call makes USSF re-think our instruction. Again, I personally think this quick kick should be allowed. Otherwise you are tying the hands of the referee and not allowing him to proactively get players back without totally taking away the quick free kick option. There's got to be a happy medium where "hey you want 10?" followed by "no" doesn't make it ceremonial. And, more importantly, where simply telling Benitez to "get back" doesn't make it ceremonial because otherwise you are inviting defenders to do exactly what Benitez did.

24. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    At the :05 second mark, you can very briefly see Marrufo pointing to his whistle, even though Henry is not aksing for 10. Also, at the :32 second mark, Marrufo winds up being used as a "shield" further blocking the view of the ball by Hartmann. Not well handled.

On a less important note, 4th official Jurisevic turned away Red Bull substitute Victor Palsson for having something decorative on his right wrist, but had no issues with Kenny Coopers chain around his neck. I'd like to think there's a greater chance of injury by an opponent getting hit in the eye with the point of the crucifix on a header than there is for something decorative on the wrist.

PS- Anyone know which Adidas shoes Marrufo is wearing? I have never seen them and cannot locate them online. They seem to be very lightweight such as running/training shoes, but still have the good traction that the Copa Mundial has. Seem to be ideal if you're officiating more than 3 matches in a day.

25. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I agree with you on this. It could have been handled much better. I was actually pretty surprised at how that went down.