2012 MLS Referee Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by La Rikardo, Jan 7, 2012.

1. refmedic

refmedic Member

Sep 22, 2008
    We had this conversation at the beginning of last season, and we never really got an answer. Kermit was virtually absent from MLS until several weeks into the season. I don't know if he was injured, or if he has a job-related problem. I don't know what he does for a living, but if he was, say, an accountant, he wouldn't have any time to jet around the country and referee in the middle of tax season. I'm betting there's a good reason behind it, and it's a little early to start speculating. It's just that there's a little deja vu going on for me.

2. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say that. I've never been particularly fond of Marrufo, but he can be really good. Both ARs are fairly solid, but based on what I've seen, I'm honestly not sure why Jurisvic is on the Fifa panel already. That's not to say he won't be good, I'm just not seeing it yet.

3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I finally got around to putting in October and November's matches into my database. Here are the final stats from last year (including playoffs) so we have a reference point for the new season. I haven't compiled the numbers for ARs and 4ths yet. DEAL WITH IT.

Code:
    [b]Referee             Matches   Yellow   Y/Game  Reds   R/Game[/b]
    Anno, Jasen		 10	  22	 2.20	  7	0.70
    Bazakos, Elias		  9	  23	 2.56	  1	0.11
    Bratsis, Niko		  8	  24	 3.00	  0	0.00
    Chapin, Andrew		 10	  31	 3.10	  2	0.20
    Gamble, Geoff (CAN)	  8	  28	 3.50	  2	0.25
    GANTAR, DAVID (CAN)	  6	  25	 4.17	  4	0.67
    GEIGER, MARK		 13	  43	 3.31	  2	0.15
    Gonzalez, Jorge		 21	  61	 2.90	  6	0.29
    Grajeda, Hilario	 20	  61	 3.05	  4	0.20
    Guzman, Juan		  8	  29	 3.63	  4	0.50
    Hernandez, Ramon	  3	  16	 5.33	  0	0.00
    JURISEVIC, EDVIN	 12	  43	 3.58	  2	0.17
    Kadlecik, Mark		 15	  49	 3.27	  5	0.33
    Kennedy, Michael	 13	  51	 3.92	  5	0.38
    MARRUFO, JAIR		 22	  56	 2.55	  2	0.09
    Okulaja, Abiodun	 10	  24	 2.40	  3	0.30
    Penso, Chris		 13	  46	 3.54	  5	0.38
    PETRESCU, SILVIU (CAN)	 13	  48	 3.69	  3	0.23
    Prus, Alex		 16	  30	 1.88	  3	0.19
    Reyes, Yader		  7	  35	 5.00	  4	0.57
    SALAZAR, RICARDO	 23	  75	 3.26	  5	0.22
    Stott, Kevin		 13	  44	 3.38	  5	0.38
    TOLEDO, BALDOMERO	 21	  49	 2.33	  7	0.33
    VAUGHN, TERRY		 17	  57	 3.35	  5	0.29
    WARD, PAUL (CAN)	  8	  36	 4.50	  5	0.63
    [b]ALL REFEREES		319	1006	 3.15	 91	0.29[/b]

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ManiacalClown, welcome back!

Excellent post. Looking at it carefully, it now dawns on me that Elias Bazakos might have been the only US referee eligible for promotion to FIFA for 2012. Everyone else who wasn't a FIFA was either too old for promotion, already retired from the panel, or in their rookie MLS year. The only possible exception to that is Andrew Chapin, whose age I don't know. EDIT: I guess Reyes is also an exception; forgot he wasn't a rookie whistle last year

Looking at the list, though, we have a lot of potential candidates for 2013.

Also, I didn't realize Ramon Hernandez only worked 3 matches. Being a veteran of sorts, I wonder if there was an incident or match that halted assignments for him. I know that happened in a couple other cases, both those were pretty apparent/publicized; don't remember anything about Hernandez. EDIT#2: very well might have been this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=D0_7yN_XDxk

5. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

This incident in 2010 pretty much sealed his fate:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjrl7zOVjwA"]Referee forgets to bring yellow card - YouTube[/ame]

6. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Los Angeles Galaxy vs. Real Salt Lake

March 10, 2012
    10:30 ET

REFEREE: Kevin Stott. SAR (bench): Fabio Tovar; JAR (opposite): Jason Cullum; 4th: Paul Ward

So the game guides show Ward being used as a 4th official on the 10th (LA v RSL) and 11th (CUSA v. HOU).

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it. If that were true, why would he have any whistles in 2011? I'm sure it was a blackmark on the resume, but if that's a critical error it would have been the end of him then. Maybe it gave him less room for error later, but you got to think there was something in 2011 that caused a lower number of assignments.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I don't think this is that rare--certainly not for some of the California guys. But it makes sense for a guy like Ward. Signals he'll be used significantly this year and also makes for a nice weekend. Plus it's economical--fly a guy down from Canada and get to use him twice.

9. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I recognized Michael Kennedy centering the Fire-Minnesota friendly this morning.

10. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Monday, March 12
    9:30 PM EDT (ESPN2)
    Portland vs Philadelphia - Baldomero TOLEDO / Frank ANDERSON / Ian ANDERSON / Juan GUZMAN

11. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Juan Guzman also has two fourths this week, one in San Jose on Saturday and one in Portland on Monday.

12. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Well Ramon Hernandez will now learn from the best when it comes to leaving your yellow card in the dressing room. Ramon Hernandez just seems to make the most basic procedural errors. There was a clip in Week in Review where he gave a yellow card to Freddie Ljunberg and play was restarted quickly without a whistle. He was recording the card then he started chasing after play.

It seems like unless you do something so bad that you will get assignments in MLS once you have done many games in the league. See Michael Kennedy. If you need to take the fitness test three times you shouldn't be refereeing at that level.

13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loving the black/dark grey shirt that Salazar is wearing. Weird seeing a referee shirt without a collar.

14. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    I really like the MDL/MLS Live redesign. Looks a lot better and seems to run a lot faster than last year.

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been told Hernandez suffered an injury last year that sidelined him--so that's the answer. Not the clip I posted and definitely not the yellow card incident from 2010.

And the jerseys look great. I might still be in the minority but I think these are the best Adidas has produced for a EURO or World Cup. Tiny bit of flair with the purple (unlike the dominant grey/yellow accents that we had in the last 4-year cycle), yet still professional and understated.

16. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I also like how you can jump to the goals and misconduct very easily. A lot of times if I don't watch the highlights I'll just watch the red cards.

Sad I know...

17. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Amused that at one point while Hassli was shielding the ball in the corner, Marrufo ran over and positioned himself behind the corner flag. Certainly unorthodox.

18. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    I do the same thing :D

19. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    That's Salazar. And yeah, that was a cool piece of positioning.

20. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    The referees in this week's games are Grajeda, Salazar, Geiger, Gonzalez, Stott, Marrufo, Petrescu, and Toledo. Just occurred to me that these are probably the eight best referees in MLS now that Prus is retired.

21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noticed that too. They're using the best in week 1.

22. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Hilario Grajeda has some serious guns. Those arms make Ed Hochuli jealous.

23. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd be curious for one of you to explain why Geiger is one of the best

24. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You realize he had the whistle for a FIFA WORLD CUP this past summer??? :rolleyes:

25. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    He was the referee for the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup Final in Colombia, his performances are consistently uncontroversial, his command presence and report with the players is very good. He's not just one of the best, but he's arguably the best referee in MLS right now.