2012 MLS Referee Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by La Rikardo, Jan 7, 2012.

1. RichM

RichM Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2012 MLS Referee Assignments

Looks like Kevin Stott with the whistle in the LA/NE game.

2. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Vancouver - Toronto
    REF: MARK GEIGER
    AR1: SEAN HURD
    AR2: JOE FLETCHER
    4TH: CEDRIC ADAMS

New York - Real Salt Lake
    REF: JASEN ANNO
    AR1: CHRIS STRICKLAND
    AR2: MIKE KAMPMEINERT
    4TH: KEVIN STOTT

New England - Los Angeles
    REF: KEVIN STOTT
    AR1: FRANK ANDERSON
    AR2: IAN ANDERSON
    4TH: MARK DECLOUET

3. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA

wow. Anno getting yet another chance? He must have friends in high places.

4. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was at the game. He was a solid 15 pounds over weight and not a very strong runner at all. Very poor free kick management, but other than that he had a good game. Regardless, not an MLS caliber ref imo, almost due solely to his very weak running.

Both ARs did very well.

5. ref29

ref29 Member

Nov 8, 2010

Who will be reffing Toronto FC - LA Galaxy (CCL QF)?

6. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj

Per Facebook, Ricardo will be in Vancouver for First Kick 2012. Can't imagine he'd be a fourth for such a big game, so I think we can safely assume he'll have the whistle for Whitecaps-Impact tomorrow.

7. Tim Brice

Tim Brice Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Does anyone have the schedule for this weekend?

8. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj

And we have our first publicly-released assignment of the 2012 season:

Saturday, March 10
    6:00 PM EST (TSN/RDS/MLS Live)
    Vancouver vs Montreal - Ricardo SALAZAR / Peter MANIKOWSKI / Craig LOWRY / Chris PENSO

9. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Obviously a strong crew. But a bit surprised it's not a Canadian whistle, to be honest.

Dallas v New York is the bigger opening weekend match from an exposure perspective. Wonder if that's Geiger's game?

10. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj

Emotions will run high in this game. We don't know much about how Montreal plays, but Vancouver has some hotheads and this match could turn out to be a very difficult one for the referee. I don't think there's a Canadian referee good enough to be trusted to control this match, TBH.

Such a highly-skilled, nationally-televised match can only be entrusted to an elite referee, one who seems to avoid on-field controversy in the same way many of their colleagues tend to attract it. I think MLS only has three elite referees this year by that definition: Geiger, Salazar, and Marrufo. That list can certainly grow or contract throughout the year, but with Salazar already on the Vancouver game, I don't see this match going to anyone but Geiger or Marrufo.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

La Rikardo had the makings of a good idea via PM. It'd be good to have one place where all the assignments were, so people looking for them did not have to scroll and search, like in the threads the last couple of years. So...

I'm editing the title of this thread a bit. All assignments should still go here when they are first announced. And all discussion of assignments will still be here.

But I'm also creating a second, stickied thread at the top of the forum which will be locked. One of the moderators will edit it--at least twice a week--to keep it up-to-date through the year. So there will be a single post at the top of the forum for quick reference. Hope that works well for everyone.

12. thearbiter

thearbiter Member

May 24, 2007
    Albucrackee

Grajeda and crew for COL-CLB.

13. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Saturday, March 10
    6:00 PM EST (MLS Live)
    Colorado vs Columbus - Hilario GRAJEDA / Paul SCOTT / Bill DITTMAR / Yader REYES

14. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    I have a spreadsheet ready to do game counts for all officials this year. Will be ready to step in with those numbers if ManiacalClown doesn't return ;)

15. thearbiter

thearbiter Member

May 24, 2007
    Albucrackee
    Geiger in DC

16. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    DC United vs Sporting Kansas City

March 10, 2012
    7:30pm EST

REFEREE: Mark Geiger. SAR (bench): Sean Hurd; JAR (opposite): Steven Taylor; 4th: Mark Kadlecik

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Marrufo in Dallas for the first NBCSports game.

18. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    At various points the use of Canadian officials has been discussed. I don't think we ever found out the distribution though, so:

19. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Sunday, March 11
    4:00 PM EST (NBC Sports)
    Dallas vs New York - Jair MARRUFO / Eric BORIA / Corey ROCKWELL / Edvin JURISEVIC

Four FIFAs. Stronger than the Vancouver crew.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Er, I think that would be very much up to debate. Based purely on the badge type, fine. But Lowry is one of the best ARs we've ever had and I know there are many that would take Penso over either Marrufo or Jurisevic, despite the badge color.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I think the only time we ever saw numbers was that very first year... the year before Toronto joined, I think, where there were 8 matches afforded to Canadian officials and then the USSF officials got 8 "return" matches the next year. Or something like that. I forget the exact details.

Anyway, the arrangement is perfectly sensible. It wouldn't make sense to keep Canadian referees on all-Canada matches, because it would breed too much familiarity. That said, I did half-expect it for an opening match and I do still expect it for Montreal's home opener.

22. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    The other day I went through all of last year's referees, ARs, and fourth officials and assigned each referee or fourth a rating between 1 and 5 and each AR a rating between 1 and 3. For a referee/fourth, a 1 is an official who does only fourths and no centers (Fitzgerald, Ploeger, Villarreal, etc.), a 2 is an official who does MLS centers but is generally looked upon as one of the poorer referees in the league (Anno, Chapin, Okulaja, etc.), a 3 is either an up-and-comer or an average referee (Kadlecik, Kennedy, Ward, etc.), a 4 is one of the better referees in the league (Gonzalez, Grajeda, Toledo, etc.), and a 5 is an elite referee (Geiger, Prus, Stott, etc.). ARs are rated from 1 to 3 in a similar manner. Using these subjective numbers, I can rate the strength of a crew by adding twice the rating of the referee, 1/4 the rating of the fourth official, and the rating of each of the ARs.

The lowest strength rating a crew can have is 6.25 and the highest is 17.25.

My initial impression of the Vancouver and Dallas crews was that Salazar's crew is stronger, but my numbers agree with you, MassRef. They put the Vancouver crew at 16.75 and the Dallas crew at 16.

23. thearbiter

thearbiter Member

May 24, 2007
    Albucrackee
    not sure about the strength rating of the crew but Jorge G is leading the crew in San Jose.

24. soccerking1990

Aug 11, 2010
    Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Jose vs. New England

March 10, 2012
    10:30 ET

REFEREE: Jorge Gonzalez. SAR (bench): Greg Barkey; JAR (opposite): Jeff Hosking; 4th: Juan Guzman

Chivas USA vs. Houston

March 11, 2012
    7:00 ET

REFEREE: Silviu Petrescu. SAR (bench): Darren Clark; JAR (opposite): Daniel Belleau; 4th: Paul Ward

25. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    Is Quisenberry Hurt?
    Silva had said at RTS that those that work playoff games are first out for the games. I remember he was on this team last year?