2012 MLS Referee Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by La Rikardo, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saturday, May 26:

Houston vs LA - Silviu PETRESCU / George GANSNER / Adam GARNER / Jasen ANNO

Toronto vs Philadelphia - Juan GUZMAN / Brian POESCHEL / Steven TAYLOR / Daniel FITZGERALD

Columbus vs Chicago - Allen CHAPMAN / Greg BARKEY / Jeff MUSCHIK / Jose Carlos RIVERO

D.C. United vs New England - Kevin STOTT / Adam WIENCKOWSKI / Jason CULLUM / Kevin TERRY JR.

Colorado vs Montreal - Mark KADLECIK / Claudio BADEA / Brian DUNN / Mark DECLOUET

Real Salt Lake vs Dallas - TBA

Portland vs Vancouver - TBA

Chivas USA vs Seattle - TBA

2. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Saturday, May 26:
    Portland vs Vancouver - GONZALEZ/LOWRY/CLARK/R. HERNANDEZ
    Chivas USA vs Seattle - PENSO/I. ANDERSON/ARBLASTER/MARISCAL

Sunday, May 27:
    Kansas City vs San Jose - TOLEDO/STRICKLAND/TOVAR/WILEY

Still nothing on RSL vs Dallas.

3. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Kevin Terry, Jr ?!?! Be interesting to see if his style is anything like his father's.

4. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear me Petrescu...

5. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    maybe the heat got to him

6. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's looking like Guzman is going to make his game fun too...

7. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    De Guzman with 4-5 fouls in 30 minutes no card. Plata has been fouled at least 6 times now and only one drew a card.

Edited to note the well thought out PI caution to De Guzman.

8. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    1) I think everyone will agree that this play was a DOGSO, but Petrescu issues a yellow card instead:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-05-26-hou-v-la/highlights?videoID=187106

2) A yellow card issued to Watson, but if you watch carefully, it appears Beckham gets the elbow out first:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-05-26-hou-v-la/highlights?videoID=187111

3) Gaul commits a tactical foul, which should have been his second yellow but only gets a talking to. Looked like Petrescu thought about it and realized he already was booked.

4) A foul is called 2 minutes into stoppage time (I'm assuming against Edson Buddle on the goalkeeper), but replays show no foul. As a result, Mike Magee throws the ball at/towards Petrescu, but only gets a yellow card.

What the mlsnet replays don't show you on this specific play is that just before the corner kick, Kandji briefly holds onto Magee, who appears to make a meal of it and goes down looking for a call, but doesn't get it.

Even on calls where Petrescu is correct (ex: the off-the-ball play trip in the 2nd half when the Galaxy have the ball), the players have little or no respect for him.

9. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's really the key IMO.

10. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    And I'm not sure that's even his fault. The Galaxy are one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to respecting officials.

11. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wasn't getting respect from anyone. The Galaxy have a number of complainers but Petrescu didn't help himself.

Guzman just let TFCs Cann get away with a nasty tackle.

12. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I don't care...you meet a jerk cop you're still polite to them because you did something wrong.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-05-26-hou-v-la/highlights?videoID=187115

Beckham and McGee should've both been off for this behavior, it ruins the game and I'm sick of watching it.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  13. asdf44

asdf44 Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Richmond VA
    I'm quite confused by Guzman's "call the foul, and wave advantage" signal when the Philly player did a dangerous high kick against the TFC player. The ball was clearly moving when TFC played the ball also. While I kinda agree with what Guzman did, it definitley wasn't by the book.

14. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how much of what Petrescu was doing was situation based. Dynamo owned the flow of the game, and it was clear he was using restraint in not sending players off. Let LA lose, but not let them blame the ref, even if some of those could/should have been red. I agree that 1 and 3 could have been send offs, and also thought the first yellow of the game could have easily been red. I think refing in the MLS has passed the point where "the right team won" counts as an excuse though.

15. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, in light of the 3 game ban for kicking the ball at the AR, I'd imagine McGee is probably going to end up sitting as well.

16. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    He really should. Especially since FC Dallas fans were complaining about how Brek Shea shouldn't be punished or if he was it was too many games. We have to cure this disease in American soccer to not end up like other American sports. Where it's all egos and the players and coaches rule completely when they're just horrible. It completely ruins our National Team...they might as well all play overseas.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Major screw-up in Colorado tonight IMO. On the highlight of Colorado's 3rd and game-winning goal the CR clearly signals a corner kick, has his hand to his mouth, and you can hear a whistle, a second before the ball drops off the bar to be headed in by Castrillion. At that point he quickly changes his signal to a goal signal and counts the goal. The replay shows the ball never went out of play so a corner would have been an incorrect call but once the signal is made and whistle blown I don't see how the goal can count.

18. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-05-26-col-v-mtl/highlights?videoID=187265

The sound is notoriously ALWAYS off on the MLS replay site. If a whistle went before the ball went into the net the Montreal players would've went ballistic. The referee pointed, that doesn't mean anything...there's no whistle Play On, Good Goal.

Hang on...looking at it again I'm not sure. Not because of Montreals reaction but because of the Colorado players reaction. So I'm not sure now, but based on the fact that the sound is ALWAYS off on these MLS clips, I'm not gonna simply blame the ref on that.

19. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think he handled that well at all. It worked out though and he settled down. He may very well turn into a great referee when he gets his bearings.

20. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A USOC game will be played at this venue tomorrow:

[​IMG]

Since outdoor rules will presumably be used, a ball that hits the ceiling remains in play, right?

21. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are likely home rules for the facility, just like if there was a football goal.

22. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Sure hope so. Wow does that look low.

23. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    http://www.ultimatesoccerarenas.com/adult_soccer.html

The only listed alterations to the LOTG for the facility house leagues are substitution on the fly and no offside or slide tackling. They apparently have adult Open, O30 and O40 leagues, so the level of competition in the house leagues is probably decent. So I'll go ahead and guess that a ball that hits the ceiling is in fact in play. I'll be at the game tomorrow, so I'll let you guys know.

Also, I didn't think the football thing was a house rule, it was incorporated into the ATR

24. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    If anyone has any info on US Open Cup assignments tomorrow, post it here. I have the RSL-Minnesota assignments.

Tuesday, May 29
    Real Salt Lake vs Minnesota Stars FC - Tyler PLOEGER / Brad JENSEN / Alex KRELO / Allen CHAPMAN

25. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about that. Used to be house rules.